Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: driving to cabo jan 3
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:20 PM
driving to cabo jan 3

ok, now im starting to get a bit freaked.....is this a bad idea to drive down to cabo? pretty much i have to drive cause im taking the dogs. but i have a nice new f350 longbed diesel truck. im not interested in getting robbed etc.....dont plan on driving at nite etc.....Advice appreciated. I cant imagine the conversation telling my wife we're flying and not taking the dogs.....sigh.:wow:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:26 PM

Dr. Tom

Just do it, cross the border early morning, Daylight. and go, there are thousands of people driving that Hwy. every day.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:30 PM

I'd be lying if I said all these posts about robberies and kidnappings didn't have me a bit "freaked" as well! BUT I for one am not going to let fear stop me from the experience of doing the drive. Did it once 3 years ago and daughter and husb. did it last Feb and really hope to do it many more times. I am going on the premise of driving during the day, and trusting my instincts. I look forward to the day that I might feel comfortable taking my time thru TJ, Ensenada and Rosarito but for now, we just head thru those areas quickly and then my comfort level seems to increase the further south we go.
We are also driving with dogs which is a plus... one of them is bigger than my daughter:lol:.
You will love the drive... the scenery is amazing!!! It really is not to be missed.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:54 PM

Just cross the border in daylight and use common sense.
If you're afraid that's not enough, find another Nomad who is heading down around the same time. Lot's of gringos heading south around then.

BTW, I have an F350 and 2 labs.

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by Diver]
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:56 PM

We drive to our home in Baja regularly and recently this past summer drove about 3/4 the way down Baja to Bahia Asuncion. No problems, nothing wierd. Brought our dogs, and had a blast traveling together, and enjoyed our destination as well.

We have the same vehicle as you, didn't let it out of my sight, no stops in towns for meals with the vehicle out of sight. Consider a fuel kill switch in addition to your factory or aftermarket alarm as well as a quality club device.

Theft can happen anywhere, I use all three devices even if I stop in at Home Depot here in my home town.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 05:37 AM

Go for it, take your time, enjoy and you will never regret it.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 06:41 AM

Cross at Tecate much more mello and the drive through Guadalupe Valley is nice. After crossing there once on my motorcycle and once in my car I'll never cross at TJ again.
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 07:00 AM

Dr. Tom, we like to cross on Sunday morning around 8:00am, its light, not crowded, you can see the turn off for the Toll road, we drive with a dog, she is deaf and hyper vigilant. She stands at alert for the first part of the trip then she relaxes and gets with the slower, less intense energy. This trip is fabulous, the beach outside San Quintin is great for the dogs to run and chase birds and for you to just enjoy. The pull offs at Catevina are also a real joy. BTW the dogs become a social positive, people love to visit and connect with them. Joanna
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 07:21 AM

Have you checked the fuel situation... many posts on this site have info regarding diesel fuel not being available for the newer engines????? sorry but it may be important...
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 11:17 AM

805......I agree I always cross at Tecate. A great little town. Last crossing in TJ October 1992
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 08:45 AM

I'm also freaked out about all the recent robberies, but have decided to be at the border at 6:00AM instead of our usual 4AM. Will also try to not have much of our "stuff" showing, but since we only go down for a week, that's pretty easy. We're also considering taking the free road. I feel the same as Marie-Rose...I relax considerably after going through Ensenada.

For me, the trip down is part of the Baja adventure and is great fun. I'd miss it. I think as long as certain precautions are made, it's ok.

Bajaboolie
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 09:09 AM

I've been traveling to Cabo on a regular basis for the past four years to spend Thanksgiving at a time share for two weeks. We drive through tj around 6 a.m. carefully watching for the "right hand turn" onto the Hwy 1 entrance. We try to be in the right hand lane so we don't have to cross lanes to get to the right hand side to catch the exit onto the Hwy 1 part.
I'm approaching my mid 70's, and it's becoming a 'cup of tea' trip. Spend some time in Loreto. Great little fishing village with growing pains. Spend some time in LaPaz. A great "not so little" fishing community with super restaurants and hotels/motels. Lots to do there. Cabo. Ahhhhhhhhh. Love this crazy community. Lots to do. Great restaurant called Ediths. A got to eat there experience every time we go to Cabo. Walking through the tourist gift shops never ceases to amaze me. Though I don't buy much, I do enjoy seeing peoples reactions to the "bargain hunters". Don't forget to stop at "The Offfice" on the beach near the marina. This trip will be a memorable driving experience. Take many breaks to give your "pet" a chance to stretch his legs. If you have time. drive out to meet Shari at Asumcion. She is worth the trip alone. (Hi Shari!!!! Was a great pleasure meeting you last July/August trip) Make a journal of your trip. Possibly your spouse might want to go with you next time after reading it.

[Edited on 10-3-2007 by Phil S]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 10:06 AM

Ultra low sulfur diesel is available in Baja, many posts on this... Read posts by BajaCactus who owns the El Rosario Pemex.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ultra low sulfur diesel is available in Baja, many posts on this... Read posts by BajaCactus who owns the El Rosario Pemex.

That information is a bit missleading IMHO.

Available yes, but be prepared that at some point you will need to fill up and it won't be available.

It is not known for certainty that all diesel sold in Baja or the Mexican mainland for that matter is now exclusively ULSD.

Many believe that running it while in Baja temporarily will not cause permanent damage to your engine however.

Ken

[Edited on 10-3-2007 by tripledigitken]
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 02:12 PM

is there an additive that would be beneficial?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 02:29 PM

Yep, and there have been reports of crime in TJ, La Paz, Conception Bay, and many other places in Baja. Yep, my truck was broken into in Cabo...10 Years ago! But it has also been broken into 2 times here in San Diego and another time in Northern California.

Don't let the naysayers stop you from your adventure. I've had more issues here in the States than in Baja. Be careful, use common sense, and follow YOUR gut instinct.

Bottom line is that Baja is very safe especially when compared to the bigger cities of the US. Have a great trip and keep a positive attitude.

Zac

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 02:48 PM

Just had a friend pull in yesterday, after pulling a 26ft trailer down, no problems, said the desert is beautiful with wild flowers.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2007 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTom
is there an additive that would be beneficial?

Tom,

If the question is for me, I don't know if there is an additive. I am no expert by any means. Bob and Susan (fellow Nomads) could chime in. They have an 07 and live in Mulege and have had no ill effects from running Mexican diesel,probably a sigificant amount of the non ULSD i would bet.

You probably should seek advice stateside from people that know diesels, or check some of the diesel websites. I believe one is called "the diesel stop".

Ken

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.