Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Presenting Jisael Monreal, the
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 08:43 PM
Presenting Jisael Monreal, the

youngest member of Club Lobos Marinos, the mountain bike team from Bahia Asuncion

He competes in the 4 and under boys group. He is two years old. On your mark, get set, go.

OK, at this level, Dad gets to help a little---those training wheels get stuck in the dirt.

Going strong now.

Hey, who is that kid. He must be 4--he isn't using the training wheels

Dang, he is winning for sure.

But this little guy is so young he doesn't even care that he is riding his sister's pink bike

Sister was not happy sharing her bike

Our young man did not win, but hey, he finished the race and a give me five was in order.

And for all the right reasons, mom and dad are real proud.

and the little upset girl, did just fine when it was her turn. Dang, those Guerreros from Guerrero Negro have great uniforms---they have sponsers.

Story continued in the next post.

John and Diane

[Edited on 10-9-2007 by jdtrotter]

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 08:55 PM

I love the ambulance in the background! What was the occasion?

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 08:58 PM

Diane, even though you are not wealthy you are getting some great shots. :wow:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 09:18 PM
The rest of the story

Jesus, the father of our youngest member invited us to accompany them to this event in Vizcaino. Jesus is a fisherman, carpenter, small tienda owner, excellent mountain bike rider, and one of our many very patient informal Spanish language teachers.

Our mountain bike team is long on heart, and very short on good equipment.

The mountain bike course in Bahia Asuncion is awesome---we missed the competition there in August, but will make sure we are there for the one in January.

To reach the competition in Vizcaino, we followed Jesus up the rocky path---their shared bikes were carefully tied in the back of his truck.

Even the needed ambulance had to traverse the rocky path---it was hot, and the ambulance was used.

The courses

The babies did a quick run---but once they reach the the age of 8 or 9, they do the small course.

One of our competitors

It becomes even more serious when the young teens take on the medium course.

John looking out for the riders

John and Aurelio, president of the Lobos Marinos, adjust their cameras for the action

Three of our boys

Jesus, our friend, sweeping away the cactus thorns before this race. Oh, Jesus is on the down side of 40 and took second place in the big race.

The bikes and the helmets are shared---the two of our young riders using the best---the used Giant bikes

It was really hot and humid---it rained in the late afternoon. Tomas passed that finish line and looked, well, we could not find the right word in Spanish, so Jesus gave it to us---Tomas looked like a Zombie. He collasped from the heat---recovered well.

We did not stay for the big race. It was really hot and since we did not have a completed wall, we had our dogs---was way too hot for them, so we had to leave.

Since we have family who are involved in mountain biking, we are hoping to find assistance and maybe a sponsor or two for our Lobos Marinos.

Oh, for you La Paz people, on Sunday there was a big race there---24 kilometers. Jesus and a couple of others from our village were there to compete. We hope they did well.

John and Diane

[Edited on 10-9-2007 by jdtrotter]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I love the ambulance in the background! What was the occasion?

P<*)))><

It was a serious mountain bike race for our local league members, the Bahia Asuncion Lobos Marinos, the Vizcainos Zorros, the Guerrero Negro Guerreros, the San Ignacio Missioneros (sp), and the Rancho Carocal, Carocals.

As with so many things in Mexico, these events always include the children, and they are always the most adorable.

There is the local league consisting of these clubs, and then they also compete in tournaments for all of Baja Sur Mountain Bike Clubs.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2007 at 10:08 PM
Community involvement

What a great thing to post here. I love the community spirit and participation, Something lost in many American neighborhoods. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this with us.:D

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
What a great thing to post here. I love the community spirit and participation, Something lost in many American neighborhoods. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this with us.:D

Thanks Sharks. We are really enjoying getting to know our community.

Diane and John

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 10:03 AM

I want to thank you too, Diane. The good felling I had for Bahia Asunción is much more enhanced now...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 11:47 AM

Nice post, guys.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 05:22 PM

Thanks Al and Santiago.

Al, the first time we drove into Bahia Asuncion we had a good feeling about the town and it still feels that way.

Diane

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 05:45 PM

The little guys are very cute and it looks like folks are really into the sport with all the gear and everything.

If we had a mountain bike team they'd be called the "Chollas" since that's what you find in your tires.
debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 07:38 PM

jdtrotter, these are great pictures.

I’ve always wanted to give back to Baja for the many wonderful times I visited. It has been a long time dream to settle down there.

You say that “Team Lobos Marinos” is in need of assistance and support. I am employed by a downhill suspension shock manufacturer by the name of ROMIC. I do have some clout when it comes to a few new dampers and springs. Also, I will be able to have their ROMIC shock suspension serviced and repaired. Another good thing, shipping will be on me!

So, please pass this information on to the team manager and we’ll see what we can do for the boys AND GIRLS.

ROMIC Mfg., Inc.
6878 Santa Fe Ave., East
Hesperia, CA 92345
(760) 244-4478
Ask for “Deb”
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

biggrin.gif posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:05 PM
Jdtrotter

Awesome stuff , thanks for sharing pic ans story . You guys are very blessed to live in the community you do .
Saludos , Tortuga:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 08:20 PM

Thanks Diane, great pictures. What a fun town! Gotta make that right turn sometime when we're heading south.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 07:19 AM

Wow, what a cool event, felt like I was there. Love the pics, you really captured the essence of it. What a great thing to support. Good activity for kids, and look at the parental involvement!

I appreciate your posting this and the photos of the fishing tourney. What a joy to share in this with you.

Thanks again,

Iflyfish
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 09:04 AM

Fantastic post Diane. I brought a tear to my eye.:o

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by debindesert
jdtrotter, these are great pictures.

I’ve always wanted to give back to Baja for the many wonderful times I visited. It has been a long time dream to settle down there.

You say that “Team Lobos Marinos” is in need of assistance and support. I am employed by a downhill suspension shock manufacturer by the name of ROMIC. I do have some clout when it comes to a few new dampers and springs. Also, I will be able to have their ROMIC shock suspension serviced and repaired. Another good thing, shipping will be on me!

So, please pass this information on to the team manager and we’ll see what we can do for the boys AND GIRLS.

ROMIC Mfg., Inc.
6878 Santa Fe Ave., East
Hesperia, CA 92345
(760) 244-4478
Ask for “Deb”

Deb,
Thank you very much. We will be in contact with you. The president of the club speaks very little English, but we manage with his little English and our little Spanish.

We will be going back down quite soon and we will talk to him about springs etc. The idea of shipping bikes back and forth would not work, however, as none of the shipping companies make the trip to Bahia Asuncion. But parts, well besides us, there are other nomads who I know would help with delivery.

With some of our contacts, we are going to be looking for possible sponsors, other parts, etc. Your offer is VERY appreciated.

IFYFISH, the reason the parents are so involved is because most of them are riders. It was too hot so we left before the main event---the adults. However, the president of the club gave us a CD with pictures from the Bahia Asuncion Event and I may post a couple----the course there is amazing.

The local league consists of the Bahia Asuncion Lobos Marinos, the San Ignacio Missioneros (sp), the Guerrero Negro Guerreros, the Vizcaino Lobos and I forget the name for the one from Rancho Caracol---I hope is isn't the Caracols. :lol: They also have major competitions with teams from all over Baja Sur. Some of those teams are very well sponsored.

This is the race we missed in August. The next one in BA will be January----those of you familar with BA will recognize where this part of the course is located.

I get tired just looking at the course. I should probably focus more on the older racers---the real serious races, but dang, those babies just steal my camera. :yes:

Diane

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by jdtrotter]

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by jdtrotter]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 04:04 PM

This looks like a deserving project. It would not take a lot for Nomads to have a powerful impact on these kids. On another post you say that a Nomad has offered a challenge grant to match donations up to $400. That is great. So if I send $50 it becomes $100. Great, sign me up.

Please contact me via u2u so I can get on board with this.

I love those determined little faces and felt sad that the Asuncion team looked so outclassed with both equipment and team garb. It means a lot to kids to be in events like this and to "dress up" to do so. This is a great way to build self esteme and to present a positive alternative to drugs. This is just the sort of project that we all should support. Kudos to you for sharing this with us.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 12:50 AM

bump
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 10:26 AM

Great all around very positive post Diane, most awesome photos, some of the last ones almost make me quezzy, I would no more ride that course, geeeeeezzzzzzz, for sure just the thought of it brings out the whoosie in me.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.