Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Advice for tavellers re:safety precautions
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 07:33 PM
Advice for tavellers re:safety precautions

We just spent an agonizing 3 hours trying to find out what happened in an accident just north of Vizcaino...bajaboy told us a car flipped over and we happened to be waiting for guests to arrive here in the afternoon. So we wanted to check to see if it was them who had an accident...well, nobody answered at the police station...nobody answered at the hospital but finally when we did get through, no one had been admitted in emergency...we finally got through to the protecion civil office who told us the person who flipped was a woman named Kristy who was travelling in the company of her cat and she was OK. So whew, it wasn't our guests, but where are THEY??? It is now 8:30 and we are worried......so once again I would like to stress the point of please take our phone # or the phone # of someone who you can call in case anything bad happens. I will also now rething my normal procedures and stress the importance of calling us if our guests get held up...OK yeah, this is baja..mexico time etc...but you must consider us here waiting for you, thinking the worst when you don't show up...so please folks..think of your hosts and how they worry...please let them know if you are going to be late...and it is very good practise to call from the road to let us know you are fine and on your way. It was awful for us thinking our guests had an accident, and these anxieties could be relieved with a simple phone call. This was a lesson for us to get more detailed info from our guests..maybe a cell # too. So if anyone is waiting for Kristy and her cat, I hear they are in Guerrero Nego dealing with the police.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 07:12 AM

Shari...after more than 100 trips down the peninsula I usually don't pay attention to "safety precautions" postings, but your insight and knowledge is invaluable. So seeing you as the poster meant it was an important thread. Thank you for your contributions to the board and hospitality to fellow Nomads.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 10:12 AM

You have a very good point. It is very difficult to be the one sitting, wondering, and waiting for someone --- the mind does not paint pretty pictures. Brings back memories of when my boys were teenagers.

If one of your expected guests is delayed, a simple phone call would work.

Hope your guests arrived???

Diane

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:16 AM

Shari, or anyone who knows......What is the best cell phone carrier to use in Baja and where can it be purchased or rented? I have heard that you can rent a cell phone and that the plan is reasonable, but if traveling, we would have to stop in a border town :( to get it.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:34 AM

Just after my last post I noticed a parallel string: cell phone; Moviestar or Telcel. But it doesn't address my questions. Shari, I would like to know which cellphone service works best in range for your phone number, and where to get it. I travel alone it it would be comforting to know that you are there. Hopefully it would also work in Mulege. I am going back down between the week of Christmas and New Years. (We'll talk by U2U about availability at your place for a stop over).

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:52 AM

I'm not sure if this has been answered but I to would like to know which cell phone service works for Asuncion, and if we bought one, and used cards, if it would still be valid when we weren't there?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 11:59 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
shari...that's NEVER going to happen:lol::lol::lol:

too many variables on the road to your place
and...

WAY to hard for the normal vacationer to contact you at the "hotel"

some people will show up and others won't
you should get a non-refundable deposit:biggrin:

that's just the way it is in your business....
now...

if they were friends i'd get in the truck and drive up tp look for them immediately:yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 12:18 PM

Bob, it does show the compassion Shari has for people. I don't think it is if the guests show up or not, but why the guest did not show up. No need to get a cell phone people, just pull into any tienda and by a phone card and make the call. Shari's nerves will love you for it.:biggrin:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
shari...that's NEVER going to happen:lol::lol::lol:

too many variables on the road to your place
and...

WAY to hard for the normal vacationer to contact you at the "hotel"

some people will show up and others won't
you should get a non-refundable deposit:biggrin:

that's just the way it is in your business....
now...

if they were friends i'd get in the truck and drive up tp look for them immediately:yes:

Thats a good idea that way if they are in an accident and can't stay, you will still get some of their money.
BCSSurfer

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 12:43 PM

get an at&t phone with an international plan and choose your country as mexico. telcel is at&t's partner so you basically get telcel service with your north of the border phone number. My iPhone works great just about everywhere in baja. it evens downloads my email as i drive.
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 12:43 PM

I use my ATT/Cingular phone and buy the Mexico plan for $4.95/mo extra.
It does cost $.60/min to use for all charges and works anywhere that the Telcel or Moviestar system is active.
You must have a quad band phone for this to work.
It may not be the cheapest alternative but it does work well.
I am able to get reception up to 10 miles offshore while fishing as long as there is a tower nearby.
I get better reception in Baja than I usually get at home.
Go Figure!!!

BajaBuzz
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 10-12-2007 at 12:48 PM
I like your style

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Thats a good idea that way if they are in an accident and can't stay, you will still get some of their money.

Are you an attorney? :rolleyes:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 12:51 PM

I really don't understand Bob & Susan's laughing faces...this is serious and not laughable at all...we were very worried..and whether it's not the way it's done in this "business" I don't give a pinch of coon caca...the point is that "guests" who are often friends.... or soon to be friends are at risk driving here and we worry and care about their welfare...not their deposit. We usually have lots of correspondence with our guests before they come...I have decided for my own piece of mind and their safety to do things a little different now and ask guests to please just call from the road..there are lots of places to do that from and it's good for guests to know how to do this and can contact us in an emergency too...

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BCSSurfer
get an at&t phone with an international plan and choose your country as mexico. telcel is at&t's partner so you basically get telcel service with your north of the border phone number. My iPhone works great just about everywhere in baja. it evens downloads my email as i drive.

Sheesh, the highway is dangerous enough with all those black cows hanging out on it, let alone you're downloading your email from behind the steering wheel as you tootle on down the road ? There are times when being unavailable is a good thing.

?>*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 01:51 PM

Shari,

I get what you are saying, and the deposit is not forefront in your concern, rather the safety of your guests/ future friends. Your point with me is well taken.

There have been times when I was expecting company in Bahia and heard through the grape vine that there was an accident on the road in. I've driven that road many times looking for my delayed visitor, or the person who fell on bad driving luck, just to give a hand. Someone was missing their arrival. So, like I said, good on you for making the post.

Ps. I need your phone number.

P<*)))><

edit: need that number for my baja journal!

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 02:35 PM
toneart and Gypsy

We bought our cell phone at the TelCel store in Bahia Asuncion. It is an inexpensive phone and uses the cards---only pay for time used.

However, after two months, the time runs out, but when you buy a new card you get the unsed time back---Actually, it is not time but money left since different calls cost different amounts.

The two biggest problems I had was getting the phone registered which has to be done and all the directions were in Spanish -- much I waded through and understood, but not all of it. However, the lady in the BA TelCel phone who speaks no English helped me get a hold of an English speaking service rep so I could register the phone.

Also, at the suggestion of another nomad, I looked for the directions in English on the Internet and found them. Before that, we stopped at a big TelCel office in the Home Depot Center in Ensenada for help as I knew someone there would speak English.

Good luck
Diane

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 02:39 PM

Dianne, from the menu you can set your phone to English. Scroll through and find the language page.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Dianne, from the menu you can set your phone to English. Scroll through and find the language page.

Yes, I found out how to do that, but I still needed the written directions and found those on the Internet.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 03:06 PM

thanks jdtrotter for that information, I think I'll buy one when we go down next
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I really don't understand Bob & Susan's laughing faces...this is serious and not laughable at all......

Shari,
Your concerns are well-expressed and appropriate, IMHO. Perhaps your spirit of hosting is represented here...as is perhaps that of the those who laugh at the issue.

Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.