BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Please tell the good people of the United States I still love them
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 04:23 AM
Please tell the good people of the United States I still love them

This is the true story of my brother in law Roberto Flores Durazo.

As he lay there on the floor of the US border crossing in Nogales AZ he wondered how he ended up there. How could this be happening in the country that he had grown to love so much. As blow after blow, kick after kick rained down on him for 5 long hours, he could not imagine that this was happening in the country that had given him so much. The country that had been so generous and helped him when he needed it so bad. Was this the same country? Were these the same people? How could this be?
Roberto's life started up like many Mexicans boys who grew up in the small border town of Sonoyta MX in the early 1990's. His father was a hard working man who worked long hours in the nearby mine, so he could put enough food on the table and provide a place to live. Nothing fancy, but their was always enough. With the help of friends and family they managed to get by. That was all to change though. One day when Roberto was 13 he and his mother headed out on a shopping trip to Mexicali, the closest big city. Their neighbor had to go to Mexicali on some business and they could ride along with him. They were in search of some rollerblades for his sisters 10th birthday, and none could be found in their small town. They managed to find a set that they could afford, along with a few candies that Roberto would share with his sister on her birthday. Before they headed back to Sonoyta the neighbor had stopped at a Llantera to have a tire changed that was going bad. Nothing unusual, the roads in this part of Mexico are rough and tires wear out fast. With that done they started their 100 mile trip back home excited knowing how happy his sister was going to be on her birthday. 10 miles outside of Sonoyta on a dark and lonely stretch of road the unthinkable happened. The tire they just had changed blew out and the little car they were riding in went off the road and rolled over several times. Roberto's mom Ivelia escaped with minor cuts and bruises. The driver had several badly broken ribs, but was conscious. Roberto was not so lucky. The car had come to rest on top of him and at first they could not even find him, and when they did they feared he was dead. With the help of another passing motorist they managed to get the car rolled off of Roberto, but it did not look good. Roberto was hardly breathing, and he was bleeding very badly. The left side of his face was almost completely torn off and his left eye was hanging from the socket. Roberto needed help badly, they loaded him into the car that had stopped to help and raced him into Sonoyta. At the Red Cross hospital they knew Roberto needed far more help than they could give. One of the technicians there was from Phoenix and made what was to be the first of many decisions that would end up saving Roberto's life. He called one of his friends that worked for the Mercy air ambulance service there and told him of the situation, and within minutes they were in route to the border to pick up Roberto. 20 minutes later the helocopter landed just on the US side of the border and the Red Cross ambulance rushed out to meet them with Roberto. The family would find out later that Roberto's heart stopped twice on the flight to Children's Hospital in Phoenix. The two adrenalin injections they had given him brought him back.
Roberto's family quickly made the arrangements to go to Phoenix. When they got there they were amazed and delighted that Roberto was alive, but he was not out of the woods yet. He was in the first of many surgeries to repair his badly mangled body. Roberto ended up spending over a month in Children's Hospital, and his bill was getting so large that his family wondered if they could ever pay it. They didn't have to worry long, someone had contacted the people at Ronald McDonald house and told them of Roberto's situation. They came in a covered ALL of his hospital bills and gave him and his family a place to stay for the months of rehab that would follow. Roberto's family cannot thank them enough, and Roberto will never forget the generosity of Ronald McDonald house and the people of the United States.
Roberto is 27 now, besides the obvious scares on his face and some decrease in vision in his left eye he has made a remarkable recovery. He has a US tourist Visa but does not travel to the USA much, but when his wife got pregnant she wanted to have the baby in Tucson so she could be near here family just before and after his daughter was born. Roberto followed in his dads footsteps and went to collage to studied Mines, and he and his dad now work together at a Mine in Sonora. His dad is now the Manager of the Mine, and Roberto enjoys his job as an engineer. Having his baby in the US would mean he would have to travel back and forth a lot for the few months that his wife was in Tucson, but he didn't mind because it is what she wanted.
So there he was on that October day in 2007. A proud new dad, with a bright future, going to pick up his wife and newborn daughter. He thought nothing of it when he was waved into the Secondary inspection area of the Port of Entry, but what happened next caused him to question everything he had come to believe The United States of America stood for. He was taken into a small room where he would spend the next 5 hours in fear for his life wondering if he would ever get to see his family again. Wondering if the life he had given back through the generosity of the good people of the US would be taken away by a few bad people in uniform from the US border patrol. Wondering what the doctors who had spend countless hours in surgery meticulisly repairing and reconstruction his face would think of this guy from the US border patrol stomping on their work. Roberto was allowed to leave the Port of Entry after those 5 long hours, and he was never charged with any crime. They did tell him that he could not reapply for another Visa for 5 years, but he didn't care, he was just happy to be alive. His family would join him a few days later, and he is back to work after a few days rest from all his bumps and bruises at the hand of the border guards. We I talked to him last, and told him I was going to write his story, because it is a story that needs to be told. It is a story that people need to hear. It is a story that those merciless border guards need to know. He just wanted to be sure I included one thing. "Please tell the good people of the United States that I still love them".

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 06:23 AM

What an AMAZING story!

We hope more details are forthcoming in later posts... :bounce:
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

mad.gif posted on 10-22-2007 at 07:44 AM
Sickening!

Abuse of power by US authorities...police, border patrol, or other...is absolutley sickening. The current socio-political climate in the USA seems to green light this type of behavior. "Well, he might have been a terrorist"...or "he was acting suspiciously" are all most citizens need to hear to justify a vicious beating by rogue authorities. My heart goes out to your brother in law.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 07:48 AM

------and when do we get "the rest of the story"? Soon I hope.

With all due respect, A story like this cannot stand alone-------------it makes no sense.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 07:58 AM
The rest of the story?...

Clearly some parts of the story have not been included...but I must ask...what if anything could he have done to deserve a 5 hour detention and a beating, only to be released. There's simply no call for it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 08:03 AM

The "paragraph breaks" helps, but the details that are still missing are glaring.

If Roberto resisted arrest, or detention and questioning, with VIOLENCE, this could explain what happened.

As I (and Amir) asked before, "what are the additional details" of this border crossing trajedy?? There simply HAVE to be extending circumstances.

In this country, LE officers may use whatever "means" it takes to control violence, and no more. Thus violence can be used to control violence. It is very foolish for anybody to physically oppose LE officers, for obvious reasons.

[Edited on 10-22-2007 by Barry A.]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 08:06 AM

Ever heard of two sides to every story.:?::?:
Sure like to hear the border patrols side. I'm not much on giving authority people their due, but this story seems, to me, slightly exagerated.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 08:30 AM
One of Osprey's tricks

This story might just be bait for discussion. :light:

Other posters have used fiction before to raise awareness of issues and stimulate responses. :cool:

True or not, I'm anticipating chills following this thread... :o
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 08:35 AM

There is a new major Hollywood movie that has just come out........"Rendition"....Stars Alan Arkin-Meryl Streep. It paints a very clear picture of how the present adminisration is abusing its power. A must see for all you doubting Tohmas's. Sad.......:barf::barf::barf:
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 09:25 AM

this is a very true story, I will fill in any details as I can. I wrote this very late last night after I heard the details and what so angered by was had happened to my brother in law. Sickening is a good word. Roberto hasn't got a mean bone in his body he hardly ever speaks since the accident, unless he has something he really needs to say. The idea that he resisted in some way is preposterous, the accident left him unable to do so. I want the people/ agents who could do this to such a kind gentle person punished nothing more nothing less. I have a picture taken with him last Christmas I will try to find it and try to post it.

I would appreciate any help you folks want to offer to make my story clearer, as I intent to send this out to every person/agency that may be able to do something about this. Feel free to U2U me.

[Edited on 22-10-2007 by Minnow]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 09:56 AM

Minnow------

If there was no resistance by Roberto, as you say, then you have a very valid case here and should persue it to the end---------I cannot think of ANY reason why the BP agents should/would have acted the way you lay out, under those circumstances---------and you have a Federal Civil Rights violation case at the least-----------certainly a serious criminal case against these agents.

Keep us informed---------You, Roberto, and your family have my sincerest condolences.

Barry
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 10:14 AM

Grover, not going to get into too many minute details, but what I was trying to explain was that Roberto was growing up in Sonoyta in the early 1990's when he was in the car accident. Once again I appreciate any help anyone wants to give to clarify the story.

Thank you Barry. This is how I understand what happened. Roberto was taken to an interrogation room in the Secondary section of the Port of Entry. At some point the officers started to use violence against him to get him to admit to things that were not true. Roberto didn't budge and the beating intensified to the point were they probably figured hey, maybe the guy is telling the truth. We better take his tourist visa though, so he can't get back into the States and report us.

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 10:35 AM

Roberto, My sister in law, and Robertos wife.

Roberto_edited.jpg - 16kB

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 10:37 AM

Minnow----

Now I am confused-------did this beating occur lately, or back in the "90's"? If lately, I would contact the US Attorney's office and/or the FBI and file a formal complaint (which is just the beginning of the process)--------if it occurred back in the "90's" I feel you (and Roberto) are probably out of luck.

In my 30 some-odd years as a Federal LE officer I personally NEVER ran into a Civil Rights violation committed in my presense------but that certainly is not to say they did not happen. I did, a few times, in the heat of battle, see excessive spontaneus force used, but never to the extent (5 hours?) you relate here, and it was ALWAYS in response to "resistance".

Actions like you describe are horrific, and should be persued by all supervisors involved, as well as the Dept. of Justice.

Barry
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Minnow----

Now I am confused-------did this beating occur lately, or back in the "90's"? If lately, I would contact the US Attorney's office and/or the FBI and file a formal complaint (which is just the beginning of the process).....

So there he was on that October day in 2007. A proud new dad, with a bright future, going to pick up his wife and newborn daughter......

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 10:55 AM

Thanks Taco.

Barry I went and edited the post that confused you. Thanks for pointing it out.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 11:29 AM

Why are so many people in the USA angry at the Mexicans(well, any Spanish speakers)?
I truly do not understand this attitude.
:no:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 11:30 AM

Judy----

I don't know personally anybody who IS------

----but we are very mad at out Govt. for not enforcing our laws.
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 11:35 AM

I agree the the U S Attorney or OIG DHS be contacted with this information. If Roberto cant get back to the US a family member could initiate the process in the US or Roberto could go the the U S Consul in Hermisillo. I would not let this "go away".
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 11:36 AM

The people that beat him spoke Spanish. Roberto does not talk much since the car accident. Maybe they mistook his lack of words for arrogence? Whatever the case, one only needs to spend a few minutes with Roberto to realize what a kind gentle person he is.

Thanks sleepy bear. I am the family member in the states, and I am going to let everyone know what happened.

Please point out any details in my story that need to be corrected/clarified highlighted.

The paragraph breaks were removed when I transferred the story from my word processor.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.