Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: MUST HAVE BOAT EQUIPMENT
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

exclamation.gif posted on 10-24-2007 at 01:39 PM
MUST HAVE BOAT EQUIPMENT

With the recent post of 2 Nomads missing at sea, and supposedly they did not have a VHF radio, I thought a discussion of items to be carried with you on a boat was in order. This first 6 items would apply to going aboard a rental panga also.

Personal Flotation Devices for each person
a portable VHF radio (less than a $100)
drinking water
sunscreen
snacks
hat

at least 1 anchor and 300' line
flare gun
first aid kit
fire extinguisher
mirror
hand held GPS
and on and on...

It is a very risky venture going out into the Sea of Cortez (or any open body of water) without at least the above. Most boaters will take 4-5 times as many items as listed above.

Wishing a happy ending to the missing boaters.:saint::saint::saint:

Ken
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 01:54 PM

Not sure what you mean by portable VHF radio as most any marine VHF radio is "portable." But I certainly wouldn't trust a hand held radio as my main radio and it is the most portable.

HHs are much easier to lose overboard, are much lower in power and many cannot easily use a fixed base antenna. Many of the islands in the SoC can block the signal of a HH VHF radio to shore.

For my money and safety, I want 25watts of power and a fixed antenna at a minimum. I also carry a HH as a back-up or for the technically illegal ship-to-shore use when launching.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 02:06 PM

25 Watt marine radio is a must. Even cell phones get blocked out in some places. And , like I suggested, always run a radio check when leaving the harbor to make sure it works.
When you're out there and break down or whatever, you feel very foolish without one. Our boats have a very low profile on the water and are "VERY" hard to spot even at short distances. I even think that VHF radios should be mandatory to have on board, like life preservers.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 02:08 PM

Another thought is to put those survival items in a seperate dry bag so that when and/or if your boat goes under, your survival items will hopefully bob to the surface. In this case a portable hand held VHF radio would be included in the dry bag for when the one attached to your boat is on the bottom of the sea.

P<*)))><

edit: spellink

[Edited on 24-10-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 02:13 PM

I hope these folks are found safe but:

Wouldn't matter what they took. A 15' boat is no match for angry seas. They were advised of changing conditions and elected to go. End of story.

First thing on any list should be "brains".

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 02:19 PM

Quote:

In short supply in this world.:biggrin:

Daffy-Duck-Dumbstruck.jpg - 4kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Not sure what you mean by portable VHF radio as most any marine VHF radio is "portable." But I certainly wouldn't trust a hand held radio as my main radio and it is the most portable.

HHs are much easier to lose overboard, are much lower in power and many cannot easily use a fixed base antenna. Many of the islands in the SoC can block the signal of a HH VHF radio to shore.

For my money and safety, I want 25watts of power and a fixed antenna at a minimum. I also carry a HH as a back-up or for the technically illegal ship-to-shore use when launching.

I should have said HH VHF. Of course as a boat owner I would have a "attached VHF" and antenna, with the HH as a backup.

The list was also for those venturing on others boats, where the HH would most apply.

Ken

[Edited on 10-24-2007 by tripledigitken]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I hope these folks are found safe but:

Wouldn't matter what they took. A 15' boat is no match for angry seas. They were advised of changing conditions and elected to go. End of story.

You wouldn't believe how far out in the Sea of Cortez that I have seen small tin boats, single handed out fishing! For those that do I would hope they would carry the bare minimum items listed.

Minnow recently recounted taking his 18' Baja Runner from Long Beach/or Marina Del Rey and circling Catalina Island. Pretty impressive run Minnow by the way.

How about the guys that rode Waverunners from Alaska down the west coast to Baja and beyond. Some people with lots of brains do some pretty scary stuff.

Ken
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 05:00 PM

I also recommend the BUDDY SYSTEM when at all possible.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Minnow recently recounted taking his 18' Baja Runner from Long Beach/or Marina Del Rey and circling Catalina Island. Pretty impressive run Minnow by the way.

I also had checked the weather very close. Left coming and going at first light. Had a VHF, three cell phones, flares, plenty of food and water, and told people in Marina del Rey, and friends already on the island when we were expected to arrive.

Of course when I was a kid and did it in a 14ft aluminum with 10hp motor I did/had none of that. :o

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 06:07 PM

must have in my rig also is an EPERB i got last year - $600 and it has GPS position reporting once i activate. and i am registered so if it goes off it (rescue) knows who is in trouble.

for my extended over water crossings i do monthly i have life jackets for all, a raft, air band and marine band hand helds - and a bunch of other stuff for use after a ditch procedure.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 06:15 PM

"And a bunch of other stuff for use after a ditch procedure"

BLENDER????:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 06:41 PM

Yeah, Mike waits until after you are over the water to tell you about all of that stuff. Then he says, prop the door open a little when we hit the water so we can all get out.:lol: I was thinking what the hell am I gonna do with a blender.:no:

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 07:37 PM

The blender a Bass-o-matic brand, in case you cant cook fish?

But seriously, a stinkin' hand held radio would have saved lots of folks a ton of grief with that Monserrate incident. There had to be boaters in Agua Verde that could have picked up their signal.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-24-2007 at 08:10 PM
Pen Flares

A great pocket type flare launcher. Can be worn on belt.

http://www.truflareusa.com/productcatalog.htm

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by bajaguy]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 05:48 AM

the various batt op blenders can be an essential piece of life saving equipment if yur stuck or stranded.

as an example, if a pax goes into hysterics and won't shut up - just force feed him / her enough EMPs (emergency margarita pak) to pass them out so you can concentrate on getting rescued.:cool::cool:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 07:06 AM

I have a ditch bag ready to go at all time, with all the emergency items in it. HH and GPS in water proof bag. When you buy life jackets don't buy those cheapie models get the best ones available, whats your life worth.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 07:34 AM

Some where down the list after you've got the mandatory safety items, give some thought to a decent sea anchor. It will go a long way to keeping you from capsizing in rough seas when you engine conks out.

Just do it!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum1A
Some where down the list after you've got the mandatory safety items, give some thought to a decent sea anchor. It will go a long way to keeping you from capsizing in rough seas when you engine conks out.

This is SO true. A must have.

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-25-2007 at 09:03 AM

I have had to use a 5 gallon bucket for a sea anchor in the waters off of Marathon key. It worked good.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.