Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: gringo snobbery
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 08:19 PM
gringo snobbery

whats with this gringo snobbery.....i know this woman who has a place in san miguel allende, lives most the time here and has a place there and kinda looks down her nose at me for building in cabo...."oh, cabo.......too crass for me"....hey, i surf and fish. Like living in "santa fe south" is authentic but baja isnt......ok the corridor isnt exactly national geographic but the desert and ocean is intense in baja.....then again i see the life in the dirt and water.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 08:23 PM

Why do you let it bother you, Doc? Who's opinion counts to you? Hers or yours?
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 08:38 PM

CSL is not Baja:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 09:30 PM
SMA v. CSL

Hi Doctor Tom,

San Miguel de Allende is an ancient historic city in the mountain highlands of Central Mexico with a reputation for arts and culture.

It is a destination of choice for many Europeans and American artists and authors (and a weekend party spot for obnoxious, irritating Chilangos, i.e. Mexico City yuppies.

Cabo San Lucas is an entity created out of whole cloth by the Mexica tourist bureacracy that is FONATUR. It only exists to lure tourist dollars.

Given the choice between the two, I would probably pick CSL to live in, way out of town, for the natural beauty and the ocean, and visit SMA for the arts and culture.

In re SMA, I can't get past the fact that the water aquifer there is so polluted that you must treat your tap water, even for a shower.

[Edited on 10-27-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 09:44 PM

Yes Al G, CSL IS Baja.One just needs to venture out of the tourist zone to know that it is indeed not just tourists there.Mija lives there, as Jan says, way out of town and is raising my two beautiful bi- lingual grandaughters, working and living among the locals.There is more to CSL than you think.

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-26-2007 at 10:26 PM
Hey Sally,

You said what I was trying to say -- much better.

Check out the place you want to live, get to know the real people, avoid/ignore the self-entitled underminers that try to tell you what to do.

That is all.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 07:10 AM

No Gypsy Jan, You did very well with your post! I go to San Miguel alot and you hit the nail on the head. I think SMA is one of the most beautiful places in Mexico but in the past 20 years because of the influx of Americans and Europeans it has changed to where I dont want to go back......Snobbery Dr. Tom, yes. My friends there think Ensenada is not Mexico. I just laugh and tell them at least we dont have to put up with the Chilangos who think they own all of Mexico.

HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 07:33 AM

Um Lizard...The chilangos do own all of Mexico and a good size chunk of California Norte as well.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 10:17 AM

Don't quite get the gringo fascination with San Miquel. A few years ago we traveled for 2 month through central Mexico and of all the old colonial cities we visited SM was the least interesting. Durango, Fresnillo, Zacatecas (especially), Guanajuato, Dolores Hidalgo, Queretaro all have her beat by a mile. And another plus was, hardly any gringos.:P:P

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Yes Al G, CSL IS Baja.One just needs to venture out of the tourist zone to know that it is indeed not just tourists there.Mija lives there, as Jan says, way out of town and is raising my two beautiful bi- lingual grandaughters, working and living among the locals.There is more to CSL than you think.

My statement still stands, but as you pointed out it is in reference to the tourist zone. Most likely where you live is no different the then any other Baja Ciudad.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 12:04 PM

Hot, I should have said the Chilangos who dont have two pesos to rub together that think they own all of Mexico!

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 12:11 PM

Couple years ago, Wendy & I spent a week in SMA, and met a few of whom you called 'snobs'. She WAS pretty brutal with you for sure. BUT. We loved our week there. Shops, galleries, studios, churches, local color, music in the plaza (1/2 block from our hotel) $2.00 anywhere taxis's.
Super friendly clerks, shop owners, etc. Great value for our money, and only two years ago. However, we did look around at real estate. Eeeeee gads!!!!! We have an acquaintance who lives in Central Oregon who owns two homes there???????? ONe for a rental and the other when she occationally decides to fly down & "hang around"!!!????!!!! Amazing who many Texas license plated cars we saw down there that week. WE did bus trip to Queretaro, Guanajuato while there, and both very interesting towns. But we really liked SMA the best. Just shows, "different strokes for different folks". I never let the snobs bother me. LIfes too short!!!!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 03:19 PM

SMA ?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 03:24 PM

san miguel allende,

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 03:46 PM

SMA Home to 8,000 gringo's.:yes::yes::lol::lol::yawn::yawn:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 04:57 PM

The mainland is just another Mexico, no daubt. SMA and the other historic towns nearby are absolutly fascinating, photographers heavens and cultural meccas.
We also checked it ou one year for a few months, but it's too dry, the air, too cold and wet in winter and no ocean nearby. Some people, like me, can't live too far from a good body of water, salty water that is. We love Baja.:yes:

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 05:12 PM

Cabo can be a wild and crazy party town. If you don't like it, stay out of downtown. Cabo has the best year round weather in all of Mexico.:cool:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nobaddays
Cabo can be a wild and crazy party town. If you don't like it, stay out of downtown. Cabo has the best year round weather in all of Mexico.:cool:

No problema...I will stay out...I am intelligent enough to know it is for the young and dumb...Mexico appreciates your monetary contrabutions...Please continue on as it keeps my property taxes down.

Albert G

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 08:54 PM

Geez Al, What the heck happened to you in The CSL area to have you so "un-dun" whould you care to share ? Maybe then we can get a grip on your hatred for the area?Might help:?:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 06:10 AM

Santa Fe south!!
that hits it perfectly!

it has no ocean:wow: - !! that's enuff for me not to fly there,
and vandenburg - your other towns are very cool, Zacatecas esp.

Al G - Cabo is ok if you know where to go, and yes the outskirts have amazing things to see/do.
Don't let the neon stereotype it all. After a recent visit i have a new appreciation for it - and i WAS in the cabo sucks camp, not anymore.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.