Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dog still sick since our return from Baja
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 06:58 AM
Dog still sick since our return from Baja

Was wondering if any of you fellow nomads who travel with your dogs, ever had a dog that had Diarrhea, when the returned. Our little mexican mutt (all shots are up to date, this was her second visit to Baja), has had diarrhea since we returned? Any suggested on what it could be? Do not see worms in her poop, as it is liqued, and she goes about 50 times a day.:?:

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 07:14 AM

could it be the canadian water???:lol::lol:

sometimes the change in distance from mexico to canada is ALL it takes.

i'd take the dog to the vet for a check-up and give it "piedolite"(sp) (gator aid)

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bettyj58

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 07:35 AM

Coccidia, giardia, hookworm come to mind...need to take a stool sample to the vet....Not a vet but have experience with all these microscopic vermin....

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 07:39 AM

Thanks bettyj58, I was hoping someone had an experience like this!!

leatherstuff.com

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 08:00 AM

Last year when we were in Cabo our dog had diarrhea, after a few days I took him top the vet with a stool sample. He had a parasite unseen to the human eye. He took antibiotics for 10 days and has been fine ever since! Good luck.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by leatherstuff.com
Last year when we were in Cabo our dog had diarrhea, after a few days I took him top the vet with a stool sample. He had a parasite unseen to the human eye. He took antibiotics for 10 days and has been fine ever since! Good luck.

Antibiotics against parasites.:?::?:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
leatherstuff.com

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 08:10 AM

I think it was an antibiotic, maybe not but the vet will know what to give. I know it cleared up the problem.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 09:22 AM

For a dog with diarrhea, you should boil hamburger meat(skim the fat off) and mix it with cooked rice. That will settle their stomachs. I am not a vet either but I have done that with every dog I ever had since a vet told me to do so.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 09:33 AM

Judy is right - after a day or 2 of diarrhea.
More than 4 days - go to the Vet, sample in hand.

Although it's probably not Parvo, Parvo has a form that causes a few weeks of diarrhia and then death.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 09:44 AM

"Parvo has a form that causes a few weeks of diarrhia and then death. "

GO TO THE VET NOW!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 10:26 AM
A few tips

ok, in this arena I do have the expertise. Ive been dealing with this sort of stuff for a very long time. These are the major causes of sudden unexplained diarreah.

1. Stress
2. internal biological parasite- not nessesaraly worms.
3. Worm parasites
4 diseases- Parvo, Coronavirus, etc...

Stress is the number one cause and it clears in a few days of setting back into his normal routine.

Things to look for concerning the diarreah to help you determin which is the cause are:
Does it smell rancid or odd?
Does it have mucus, slim or blood in it?
Is it foamy, which usually has a bad smell...
Is it just soft and runny but not watery?
Does your dog act normal in every other aspect?

Given your circumstance with the traveling. I would say its a combination of invironmental change stress and the water change. But I couldnt tell you for sure with the details. Send me a U2U with details on all the questions above.

By the way Parvo starts with diareah and ends in death within 12 to 24 hours without treatment, some a little longer. An animal can last weeks if treated with extra fluids but still no guarantee as there is not really a cure. In the end it's the dehydration that kills.

Vaccinations do not keep your animal from contracting illness, it just boost the immunity to help the body recognize the viral agent and help fight it off. Ups the chances of survival.

Antibiotics for some forms of parasites like Giardia and coccidia are used effectivly against the micro parasites that feed off the wall of the intestines. Both these come from water or invironmental contamination. Even people traveling abroad are susceptable to Giardia. These are unseen by the eye. My young pups sometimes get it when I switch to regular water from bottled at around 14 weeks, if their immune systems are slow to develope. I live in Tijuana so the water is an iffy sometimes.

For immediate care of diareah do what was suggested and give pedialite in the regular drinking water and on the side if he'll take it. Add a little pancake or Karo syrup as well, just enough to sweeten the water. This will help balance out the sugar levels. (only if he isnt diabetic)

This after you talk to your vet:
If the diareah is that bad I also suggest buying a product used to stop or slow it. (I usually use a childs antidiareah med only when I cant get to the vet. I have on occation given pepto bismal for the larger dogs. It helps in the short term until you can go to your vet. Preventing dehydration will help the vet and your dog out greatly.

If you can see your vet now do so. If you dont feel it's serious enough to warrent a visit immediately than U2U me.

A small note: I dont suggest you give your dog any type of over the counter med without at least a call to your vet. Take his advice over anyone elses (including mine) and they will talk you through it over the phone pending an appointment.

Sorry about all the mis spellings. lol Im horrible with it.

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Judy is right - after a day or 2 of diarrhea.
More than 4 days - go to the Vet, sample in hand.

Although it's probably not Parvo, Parvo has a form that causes a few weeks of diarrhia and then death.

I'm 99.999% sure it isn't parvo, I have lost a dog to parvo before, and so has my husband, the symptoms aren't the same. We will be taking her to the vet.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 01:35 PM

I think if it were parvo, your dog would have died by now.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 01:38 PM

Bajajudy, That's what i thought....

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsFDT

ok, in this arena I do have the expertise. Ive been dealing with this sort of stuff for a very long time. These are the major causes of sudden unexplained diarreah...........

Mrs FTD, I am not sure about any misspelling but you seem to be a genius.

:wow::wow:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsFDT

ok, in this arena I do have the expertise. Ive been dealing with this sort of stuff for a very long time. These are the major causes of sudden unexplained diarreah...........

Mrs FTD, I am not sure about any misspelling but you seem to be a genius.

:wow::wow:

I totally agree! Mrs. FDT should join fdt on the radio show, for sure.... Bob H
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 09:54 PM

Gypsy,
Please bite the bullet and take the dog and a stool sample to the vet. If you don't get a clear diagnosis from the vet, then mess around with other suggestions. Diahrrea for this extended period is nothing to take lightly. By now your dog could be experiencing many damaging effects to it's organs and system from the prolonged dehydration. IMHO, see the vet now!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 11:11 PM

Giardia is the likely culprit; our lab got it about 2 yrs ago; well, truth be told I don't know if that was it or not; but she had the liquid runs and occasional vomiting (not unlike symptoms we had which was CONFIRMED as giardia a few years back, from Puerta Vallarta, not Baja!); took her to the vet in Ensenada who prescribed a couple of things --- 3 days later she was fine. Now she is 9 1/2 years old and thinks she is still 9 1/2 MONTHS old.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 09:35 AM

if you still havent seen a vet you can u2u me.....I dont play a vet on tv but i am one. BTW lots of well intentioned replies but a consult with a professional is best. Too many horror stories to mention....
MrsFDT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 07:25 PM
Thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTom
if you still havent seen a vet you can u2u me.....I dont play a vet on tv but i am one. BTW lots of well intentioned replies but a consult with a professional is best. Too many horror stories to mention....

Kudos, Ask your vet first.:light:

Following FDT wherever the Baja wind takes him.... That is, if its going in the same direction I am.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.