Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Advice with future BajaCactus Store/Restaurant
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 02:31 AM
Advice with future BajaCactus Store/Restaurant

My friends,

I am looking for advice in our next project at BajaCactus. Being most of you seasoned and experience travelers, I believe your input will be most valuable.... any help will be most appreciated...

The idea is this: we are almost ready to begin the construction of our next project... The BajaCactus Store.

The main idea for this area is a to have a place where anyone can make a quick stop while traveling through Baja and cover their basic needs.

In this building we plan to have:

-- A convenience store, kind of like an AM/PM, where you can get the basics for your trip (ice, water, snacks, sodas, etc.)

-- Restaurant... inside the convenience store we have a small kitchen to prepare basic, quick good meals and some tables (in a private area away from the store products)... this is not intended to be a full service restaurant, but a place where you order your food, pick it up and enjoy it without wasting a lot of time... no waiters.

-- Prepared coffee... inside the convenience store we are installing a small area within the kitchen to prepare coffee... like mocha, espresso, frappes, etc.

-- BajaCactus library... instead of doing this sometime in the future in one of the motel rooms, we redesigned the original plans and inside the convenience store, on a loft, we manage to include the most awaited BajaCactus library in here.

Outside the store, but in the same building, we plan to have:

-- A small laundromat.
-- Dispensary... a 24/7 place to receive medical assistance, first aid and buy the basic over the counter medicine.
-- Public showers.

This is more or less the idea... the blueprints are ready, but before starting construction, I would like to see your point of view... what would you like to find inside/outside the store, either products or services, what other things you need that are hard to find and very much needed?

What would you like to have?... What am I missing?

Thank you very much for your help my friends... I really appreciated.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 11-9-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 05:49 AM

Antonio, You have a great idea here. I think once you're up and running you'll discover what items travelers want. The only thing I didn't see that is important is parking. Your project sounds like you'll bring in a lot of RV's. "Baja Cactus Resort"

[Edited on 11-8-2007 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 06:40 AM
Convenience store

Russ has a right thought about the parking. On what part of your complex will the store be located? Do you see the store operating mostly during daytime hours?

Laundromat is a dandy idea!

John
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 07:34 AM

it would be nice to have a small selection of auto parts like all types of oil, make your own fan belts, tail light bulbs, tire repair producs exc, exc. i know that some of the stores have these but most are difficult to park next to when pulling a trailler or out of the way. look forward to the addition.:coolup:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 07:37 AM

Really great ideas Antonio...how about a bulletiin board?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:33 AM

I am confident that your new facility will be at least as good as your motel... that said... please have room for folks towing vehicles/trailers/boats to park... in that library or nearby internet access would be useful to many of us who "need to be connected".... a giant detailed map(probably designed/maintained by DavidK) would be useful to those of us who need direction in life... is there room in this resort for camping spaces for those in need.....
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:39 AM

Sounds great Antonio, you have the right idea on all counts.

BTW, I think you meant to say "most appreciated". But then "mostly appreciated" is probably quite accurate as well!:lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:40 AM

Internet cafe?

It sounds like you're basically building a truck stop, so parking for trucks might be good.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:42 AM

Antonio....

Whatever you decide to do, include bacon wrapped hotdogs and Pacifico.
dccf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 08:47 AM

Will you adopt me?? Seems like you have covered everything. Good luck.
coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Internet cafe?

It sounds like you're basically building a truck stop, so parking for trucks might be good.

get a subway, burger king, and star.uck franchises there also.....

will i be able to walk to the outlet mall?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 10:14 AM

Mi dos centavos.
Maybe the public showers, auto parts and quick coffee would serve Baja truck drivers - there is so much truck traffic now - so I agree that you'd need parking.
Personally, I have always stopped at the markets just at the left curve to buy beer, ice, tortillas and salsa. I like those stores and they always have what I want. So if you're just going to have ice, I would instead choose a one-stop store. But I might stop in when I got gas to get a coffee. It would best to have a nice sign - "Hot fresh coffee to go" and have a reasonable price - a fill-up of someone's travel mug for $1.50 with regular coffee would be wonderful.
The quick food, library, nice coffee drinks and internet would serve your guests' needs, as they wouldn't have to wander away from the hotel looking elsewhere for these things, and they probably aren't found elsewhere in town anyway - smart move.
So maybe think along the lines of exactly who you wish to corral - transient truck drivers (many); your own guests (they're already there); or drivers passing through (what do they need). Since most tourist drivers are just beginning or ending their trip by the time they're at El Rosario, determine what they might need - maybe not too much since they're either stocked up for their trip or don't need anything since they'll be crossing the border in another 5 hours or so.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 10:31 AM

Wonderful news Antonio... What you describe is much like the original Paradores along Highway 1 when it was completed in Dec. 1973... They were at San Quintin (at the Cielito Lindo road), Cataviņa, The L.A. Bay jcn. 'Parador Punta Prieta', the Eagle Monument/ state border and San Ignacio.

I agree with the others about parking for trailers, and semis... Glad to hear the library is coming... Wilderone and others of us Nomads who donated books are happy to see that!

Elizabeth and I hope to see you and Lorenia soon, please check your u2u as well...

Mil gracias for all you do... !!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 10:34 AM

Excellent plan -- Good luck Antonio :D:D:D

We'll be stopping by to check the progress on every trip.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 11:49 AM

Also a sign advertising RV supplies.
Some basics like sewer and water hoses, spare water pump, bulbs, fuses, 5 gallon pumpas, etc.
These things are all hard to find in Baja.
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 12:18 PM

Antonio,
We stayed at the hotel for the first time Monday night and it's just beautiful and has become one of our new favorite stops.
There are many good suggestions here and all I'll add is make sure there's enough parking! I can see your business will be growing fast.:yes:
Good luck and thanks for taking such good care of all of us.
windsurfeddy

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 12:25 PM

May I suggest that you sell homemade tortillas, preferably flour.
Also, if you could sell fresh bread "bollilos".
When we head down to Bahia De Los Angeles, we like heading straight to Bahia Guadalupe, and these staples seem hard to find at times in the early am.
Thanks.
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 12:36 PM

I agree about the fresh tortillas/bollilos and coffee. If you do that, it will save me from posting a thread next year about where to find good coffee on the road. I tried coffee from another unnamed place that has awesome food, but had to dump it b/c it was horrible!

Bajaboolie
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 01:22 PM

Just another thought. I spent a week in a very rural village ("village" is stretching it) in Chiapas. There wasn't much to do at night, but there was a small cafe/store on the premises where everyone gathered because there really wasn't another place to do that. There was a TV where we could watch whatever we could tune in, and also play VHS videos. If you wanted, you could purchase one of their videos in their market and play it. They had herb teas at the cafe - the jamaica te was very good. There was an outside counter (as well as an inside counter) to sell stuff in the store. Also sold were some fresh fruit and vegetables, sweet rolls, and local handicrafts. While waiting for a collectiva for 2 hours, I noticed many pedestrians from the road come up to the outside counter and buy things. It was a cozy, special place to meet other people too. The tables were picnic tables, so if there was room, you shared which whoever else was there.
You could get some Baja sportfishing videos and keep them on to keep your guests lingering and buying drinks in the evening.
A fireplace? Meling Ranch has a huge fireplace that is so inviting.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 01:33 PM

Just a little suggestion. Have a couple of salsas for the food. A few unnamed places in Baja that draw lots of gringos make their salsa for gringos---on the mild side, and some of us prefer the real thing.

Quality coffee is also important---fresh and IMHO, make it stronger and if you use something like Starbucks, don't cut it with cheaper coffee as done elsewhere.

Love your hotel, and I am sure your new businesses will be just as high quality.

Best of Luck and we will enjoy watching the progress.

Diane and John

[Edited on 11-8-2007 by jdtrotter]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.