Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Dogs
AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 01:31 PM
Baja Dogs

Good news: There is a relatively new Animal refuge, called "Baja Dogs" on Hwy 1 in Centenario outside of La Paz. The goal of this refuge is to spay & neuter dogs & cats. This is a free service for those people who are unable to pay, but donations are accepted, and a set fee is charged for those who can afford to pay.

Bad News: The Canadian founder of this organization does not treat the animals well. Unfortunately, she schedules employees to be at the refuge only between the hours of 8AM-11AM & 5PM-7PM. The animals are kept locked in small cages virtually 24-hours a day. Rarely are they taken out for walks or exercise. The older dogs who have learned to "hold it" until they are taken outside are kept in better conditions than the puppies who have to go more often & can't hold it or haven't yet learned to wait until they're taken outside; the puppies are in solid bottom cages, so they're sitting or laying in urine & poop. Several puppies are kept in each cage, so you can imagine the poor conditions these little fellas are exposed to. There is water in the cages all the time, and they are fed when the workers are there.

The founder does NOT treat the Mexicano employees well....with dignity or respect. She recently fired the Veterinarian who was on staff M-F from 4PM-8PM & Sat. from 9AM-1PM. The reason given for being fired is that the Veterinarian had agreed to give 4 free surgeries per month, and in September she'd only given two free surgeries because Central de Salud did not bring the necessary supplies...such as anesthesia & material for stitches, antiseptic, etc. for her to perform surgeries. Hurricane Henriette caused Central de Salud to temporarily divert all their efforts to the human population. Because of circumstances outside the Veterinarian's control, the founder withheld her pay for September & October fired her the first week in November; WITHOUT talking with the Veterinarian to advise her WHY her salary was being withheld. Instead, the founder complained loudly about the Veterinarian to anyone who would listen!! The founder has withheld medical & surgical records, thereby witholding proof that the Veterinarian was an employee or performed any services at Baja Dogs.

The Veterinarian has tried to file a complaint with Secretaria de Trabajo, but since she has no proof, this agency can't help her recover her lost wages. Baja Dogs owes her $15,000 pesos, but the founder is only willing to give her $5,700 pesos. Because the founder is withholding business records, there is no proof of work performed. Secretaria de Trabajo has told the Veterinarian she can file a civil suits against the founder, but we all know who fast the legal system works!

The purpose of posting this information is to hopefully force the founder to see the error of her ways towards both the animals given into her care and the Mexicano workers she employs. She is disrespecting the people & the culture! Her kind of animal refuge is not an asset to Baja!

I'm very upset about this situation, but I'm at a loss as to how to make it better or make it go away. Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated!:?:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 02:50 PM

I hope the founder sees this post and has the guts to answer the charges made.

If true, she shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an animal, nor an animal shelter. IMHO
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:37 PM
Busted

Quote:
Originally posted by AnimalAdvocate
The Veterinarian has tried to file a complaint with Secretaria de Trabajo, but since she has no proof, this agency can't help her recover her lost wages.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated

Dear AnimalAdvocate Disgruntled Employee and/or veterinarian or spouse/close personal friend of veterinarian,

1. Mexican citizens doesn't need proof to file or collect a wage claim from a foreign employer. ;)

2. Animal advocates generally don't give a c**p about how humans are treated. (Although this was listed as a secondary concern so perhaps you qualify.)

Try again.

My guess would be that the owner is trying but lacks the funding to address all issues. She's probably overwhelmed. Would you rather this place closed?

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:50 PM
Team Dave!

Yes and right on.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 04:16 PM

I don't know who the heck you are!:fire: My Chocolate Lab had an very delicate knee surgery at Baja Dogs, on Oct.26th, by two of the most caring vets I have met. Mason spent two weeks of therapy at that facility after the operation. Believe me, I checked out the place and I found the staff and the conditions superior to many in the States. Large chain link kennel areas. The floors are dirt but clean. She hopes to have concrete floors soon and may have them now. Yes, they had some create type kennels. They use them to retrieve abused and abandoned dogs. The strays are washed vaccinated and examined by one or both of the new vets and quarantined so they don't bring bad stuff into the general population. When I made a donation they would not except it until I wrote my information in a book. So the little amount of donations she was receiving at that time are well accounted for. She has dreams of a larger facility away for homes so the dogs won't bother any neighbors. Dhorea is a caring person and is involved in many programs to help disadvantaged kids.
Here is an article from the BajaInsider:
http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/charities/dogrescuebaja...
The poster of this thread should be hung out to dry by the locals who know the truth!

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dear AnimalAdvocate Disgruntled Employee and/or veterinarian or spouse/close personal friend of veterinarian,
None of the above! At best, I know & respect the Veterinarian & would have preferred she be treated fairly & honestly & allowed to continue her good & caring work with the animals.

Quote:
1. Mexican citizens doesn't need proof to file or collect a wage claim from a foreign employer. ;)
They do when their pay is based on "production or output" rather than a fixed salary, that's why the medical & surgical records are so important.

Quote:
2. Animal advocates generally don't give a c**p about how humans are treated. (Although this was listed as a secondary concern so perhaps you qualify.)
BOTH are of great concern to me!

Quote:

My guess would be that the owner is trying but lacks the funding to address all issues. She's probably overwhelmed. Would you rather this place closed?
That's WHY I was looking for input as to possible solutions; for the sake of both the animals, and the employees who care for them.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:03 PM

Wow. As a "Newbie" you got that quote thing down!

Are you dually registered on Nomad?

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:24 PM

Yeah.... How does he/she do all that stuff?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:31 PM

I smell a Rat!

AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I don't know who the heck you are!:fire: My Chocolate Lab had an very delicate knee surgery at Baja Dogs, on Oct.26th, by two of the most caring vets I have met. Mason spent two weeks of therapy at that facility after the operation. Believe me, I checked out the place and I found the staff and the conditions superior to many in the States. Large chain link kennel areas. The floors are dirt but clean. She hopes to have concrete floors soon and may have them now. Yes, they had some create type kennels. They use them to retrieve abused and abandoned dogs. The strays are washed vaccinated and examined by one or both of the new vets and quarantined so they don't bring bad stuff into the general population. When I made a donation they would not except it until I wrote my information in a book. So the little amount of donations she was receiving at that time are well accounted for. She has dreams of a larger facility away for homes so the dogs won't bother any neighbors. Dhorea is a caring person and is involved in many programs to help disadvantaged kids.
Here is an article from the BajaInsider:
http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/charities/dogrescuebaja...
The poster of this thread should be hung out to dry by the locals who know the truth!

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by Russ]
Marisol, the Veterinarian who did the surgery on Mason & oversaw his recovery is the Veterinarian who was fired. Now; hearing that the Veterinarian you speak so highly of, the same person who took such good care of Mason is the same person this injustice was done to; does that change your reaction at all?

Yes, Dorea is a very attractive woman at first glance, and the initial impression she gives off is benevolent & caring, but her true nature comes out if you spend any time in her company. She doesn't have the respect in the local community that Marisol does, and for just cause.

I didn't make any accusations about the use or accounting for donations received, so I'm not sure what prompted those comments. My comments were limited to medical records which Marisol's pay was based on.

I doubt Dorea happened to mention that her application to create her new facility inside the Lomas Centenario housing development was denied by the city permit office, did she? So much for her honesty & sincerity in not bothering any neighbors!

I'm sorry, Russ, I know you're angry at my original post, but I AM a local....one of many locals who do know the truth; based on knowing her for a few years rather than first impressions. Marisol is a fine veterinarian & fine human being, and she doesn't deserve what's happened....nor do the animals in that facility deserve to lose her!
AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Wow. As a "Newbie" you got that quote thing down!

Are you dually registered on Nomad?

P<*)))><

No, but a Nomad is translating & posting what I ask him to because I don't speak English, and I don't have the computer skills to post myself. I just became a Nomad today when I asked my friend to help me by translating & posting for me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 06:08 PM
WOW

I hate it when I'm SOOO wrong. Things change. I still would like to hear back from Dhorea and I will go back to Baja Dogs and check it out. I do believe that Marisol and her husband, Armando are excellent vets. I will see them after Thanksgiving. It would be a real tragedy if you are right. And I hate Crow.

AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 06:25 PM

Thank you for that acknowledgment Russ! The information posted is accurate & current. I'll get a contact # for Marisol & U2U it to you as soon as I can. I hope Mason is doing great!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 07:26 PM

Wow...
It never ceases to amaze me... this forum is one of the best ways of getting information out!! (and advice ... gracias Dr. Tom!)
Please keep us informed re: Baja Dogs:O

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Mexicanmullet

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 12:02 PM

I have worked closely on a project for Baja Dogs rescue with the Owner. Im sure that the veterinarian that was fired was fired on VERY Just-cause. Upon reading this article there is alot of bias information. The owner has given up many aspects of her life to dedicate her life to the well being of these mis treated dogs. The statement "The Canadian founder of this organization does not treat the animals well." Cannot even be comprehended as better than a Complete lie. There is no one i know that has had more Compassion and care for these animals. And this is shown by the rescue's website. The Dog on the front is my dog. She went from being on the highway starving with mange and with an eye infection. Now after the care and affection that dhorea and her veterinarians she is a healthy dog. Who will never stop showing how much joy she has to be alive.

(PICS)

Why would the named veterinarian be fired if she was such a good veterinarian? If she put so much time in? And why would she stay if there was such mistreatment? Did she put in the effort to save these mistreated dogs? She as an employee must have had responsibilities to care for these dogs. Because there were so many dogs at the refuge it could not SOLELY be the Owners responsibility or she would not have hired employees.

As for supplies, The owner is not a veterinarian, she is a dedicated charity owner. She must buy her supplies based on money she receives. She has given much of her own money to begin this safe haven for dogs. There is no protection from death on the streets of mexico for these dogs.

The owner has put many school level programs in place to show the mexican culture how to care for their pets and she herself has donated and distributed clothing for the children in her area. She cares about any human being and animal alike. To see the amount of Disrespect this person is paying to someone who has helped them before makes me sick. The owner is a wonderful person whom I have worked with before, who has brought the love of my life to me (my dog, who almost died) and cares about animals more than you will ever know.

If this happens to be your first impression of Baja Dogs Rescue, I beg you do not hold a bias against them because of an angered ex-veterinarian. There were many things named in this complaint that were not only the owners responsibility, and there were things named in here that are not the truth. Go to Baja Dogs Rescue and have a look for yourself. You are the only ones that can truely judge. If you truely love the veterinarian that has been fired, then stay true to her, as i will stay true to the owner. Baja dogs Rescue is a wonderful place. Do not hesitate to go there if you are in need.
Mexicanmullet

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 12:15 PM

http://www.bajadogshelplineoflapaz.org/

please visit and see how many dogs listed have been helped..
They would most definitely be there than on the street at risk for getting their necks snapped.

My dog when she was brought to the rescue....

My dog now..

AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicanmullet
I have worked closely on a project for Baja Dogs rescue with the Owner. Im sure that the veterinarian that was fired was fired on VERY Just-cause. Upon reading this article there is alot of bias information. The owner has given up many aspects of her life to dedicate her life to the well being of these mis treated dogs. The statement "The Canadian founder of this organization does not treat the animals well." Cannot even be comprehended as better than a Complete lie. There is no one i know that has had more Compassion and care for these animals. And this is shown by the rescue's website. The Dog on the front is my dog. She went from being on the highway starving with mange and with an eye infection. Now after the care and affection that dhorea and her veterinarians she is a healthy dog. Who will never stop showing how much joy she has to be alive.

First of all, thank you Mexicanmullet for your time & effort working on behalf of the dogs of Baja!

Yes, Dorea gives her own time & money, but just because someone sets out to do good things, it doesn't necessarily show up in the end results. I'm glad for you and your dog that hers is a happy ending story. I never said the medical treatment of the animals is bad or inferior. I said that the animals are kept inside most of the day locked up in small individual travel kennels which hold urine & poop. The conditions the animals are currently kept in is not as good as it was when Baja Dogs first opened it's doors. And for the record, the Baja Dogs website is not a public forum, it says exactly what the founder wants it to say, since you mentioned "bias"! Baja Dogs has done many good things & saved many animals, the concept is a good one, it's the execution that I and many others here in the area find fault with.

Quote:
Why would the named veterinarian be fired if she was such a good veterinarian? If she put so much time in? And why would she stay if there was such mistreatment? Did she put in the effort to save these mistreated dogs? She as an employee must have had responsibilities to care for these dogs. Because there were so many dogs at the refuge it could not SOLELY be the Owners responsibility or she would not have hired employees.

That's an EXCELLENT question....WHY was she fired? From another poster here, there was an initial very angry reply in defense of Marisol & her husband who wasn't mentioned in my original post. His anger was directed at me, and in Marisol & Armando's defense. Obviously, he has a lot of respect for a person wrongfully fired, just as I & many others do.

Quote:
As for supplies, The owner is not a veterinarian, she is a dedicated charity owner. She must buy her supplies based on money she receives. She has given much of her own money to begin this safe haven for dogs. There is no protection from death on the streets of mexico for these dogs.

I never said or inferred the founder was a Veterinarian. But she is in charge & she directs the employees as to their job responsibilities.

Quote:
The owner has put many school level programs in place to show the mexican culture how to care for their pets and she herself has donated and distributed clothing for the children in her area. She cares about any human being and animal alike. To see the amount of Disrespect this person is paying to someone who has helped them before makes me sick. The owner is a wonderful person whom I have worked with before, who has brought the love of my life to me (my dog, who almost died) and cares about animals more than you will ever know.

Yes, she has been involved in education programs in the grade schools here in Centenario. But she's not ALONE in her efforts! She has several paid employees, as well as a Board of Directions whose ideas & suggestions have been implemented, and for which she takes full credit for!

Quote:
If this happens to be your first impression of Baja Dogs Rescue, I beg you do not hold a bias against them because of an angered ex-veterinarian. There were many things named in this complaint that were not only the owners responsibility, and there were things named in here that are not the truth. Go to Baja Dogs Rescue and have a look for yourself. You are the only ones that can truely judge. If you truely love the veterinarian that has been fired, then stay true to her, as i will stay true to the owner. Baja dogs Rescue is a wonderful place. Do not hesitate to go there if you are in need.

I repeat...I AM NOT Marisol!!!! I posted this because I sincerely feel that Dorea mistreated Marisol & because she withheld the medical & surgery records which prove Marisol's case before Secretaria de Trajabo. If Dorea truly "cares about any human being" & is such a caring & compassionate person, why doesn't she pay her employees Segurio Social; as is required by Mexican law? If she's so caring & compassionate towards children, why does she pay minor workers less than legal wage; as required by Mexican law?

[Edited on 11-13-2007 by AnimalAdvocate]
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 06:59 PM

Boy this is "deja vue"!!!:o In TS we recently had a similiar situation where the couple who run the most fabulous refugio around (do I sound bias???) had a very unfortunate situation with a very sick dog they were boarding. You would not believe the stories that were generated... many lies and half truths.
I have heard that Dorea is, and has been for many years... an incredible animal advocate.
I for one am keeping an open mind.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 09:09 PM

"That's an EXCELLENT question....WHY was she fired? From another poster here, there was an initial very angry reply in defense of Marisol & her husband who wasn't mentioned in my original post. His anger was directed at me, and in Marisol & Armando's defense. Obviously, he has a lot of respect for a person wrongfully fired, just as I & many others do."
----Don't know how to do that "quote" thing.-----
I hope I didn't convey that I Knew that Marisol was wrongfully fired. I know nothing. And even less after this posting. And I'm still angry! The dogs are what are important here. When I was there I experienced a well run facility, all the people I met seemed happy to be there and helping with the dogs. The vets were happy to be able to use the facility for their procedures. I did not see dogs created in the general population area. Only in the admitting room. I'm going back after Thanksgiving and will see both people. I will not post my impressions again concerning this thread. You all, I guess, should make your decision. The End

AnimalAdvocate

[*] posted on 11-13-2007 at 09:14 AM

Sorry Russ, didn't mean to imply that the way you apparently took it. What I should have said is you felt she is an excellent veterinarian which you made clear in your first post. I was pointing out your high regards for her, and didn't mean to imply that you felt she was wrongfully fired. I'll try to be more careful in translating for content rather than a literal translation....unlike most of the on-line translators!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.