Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Thoughts About Dogs and Baja
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:04 PM
Thoughts About Dogs and Baja

Recently someone posted a rather negative thought about dog threads and what he felt was the wrongful ascribing of human qualities to our animals. Guilty of many posts relating our fur babies with Baja and guilty of enjoying all of the dog threads, I was left wondering why it seems so natural to relate Baja to our pets. Yes, many of us cherish our pets and while we know they are not just furry little humans, they do experience feelings and emotion. But I thought there must be more. :yes:

Our thoughts as to how we see Baja through our dogs and the dogs of others.

1.Watching our babies run free with no leashes----we feel free from some of the constraints of the problems of the city left behind.

2.As they smile and wander off the dirt roads and trails to explore the dunes---again, it is a feeling of freedom, freedom for us to explore off trail seeking and finding some of nature’s little treasures.

3.Seeing that dirty face wondering why no one yelled “no” or “bad dog”” when they dig a hole in the sand -----a sheer enjoyment of the open spaces where so few wander that one hole makes no difference, and with the tides and wind, the hole will soon fill-up.

4.Freely rearranging the birds on the beach----for us, it is the enjoyment of living where there are too many birds to count and they will return over and over. OK, one minor thing here, we don’t let them chase migratory birds or they might not return.

5.Enjoying meeting new dog friends with the advantage of dog language being universal ----but while we are learning a new language, there is often a lot of communication with hands and other body language with our new friends. No, we don’t greet them and check them out the same way. :spingrin:

6.Seeing our dogs and other Nomad’s dogs kicked back on their back, feeling safe, secure and totally relaxed----it is how we feel sitting on our front porch watching the world drift by.

7.Seeing one Nomad dog sleeping while using a cow patty for a pillow---oh the times we have slept in places and conditions we would not even consider in the US.

8. They just bring added joy, happiness, and they make us take those long walks. :yes::yes:

Well, those are just some of the reasons we so often relate our dogs to Baja and why we enjoy all the dog threads. Sure hope some of you can add more.

Speaking of dogs, here are two very depressed Baja dogs----confined to quarters. They just don’t understand why we don’t want lots of dog prints in the new cement being poured. :no: :no:

I really don´t understand

Even my toy doesn´t understand

And two toys won´t make me happy---we want outside.

Yes, they do express emotion, IMHO

Diane and John

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by jdtrotter]

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:13 PM

Diane,

I have had dogs all my life. They are the best friends one can have. I know that's a cliche', but cliche's become such for a reason. My latest one is a Lab, and he's the sweetest animal I can imagine. He wants nothing more than to be with us, his family. So, I understand where you are coming from.

That all said, there IS a big difference in attitude towards dogs in Mexico. For most Mexicans, dogs are an appendage, not a pet. They give no thought to killing dogs when there are too many around. That is where the comment you refer to comes from, I think.

Now for all you who are going to criticize me for saying this - it is what I have observed, and also what I have been told by many Mexicans themselves. It's also a generalization, and as all such, it is not universally true, but it IS a common outlook.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:24 PM

Roberto,

I was referring the the comment on Gadgets great travel thread through the eyes of his Duke ---the comment that criticized dog threads.

I should have been clearer---but I hope this thread will lead to other people sharing their thoughts about their dogs and not about how dogs are treated.

None of us can stand to see a dog mistreated, but I hope to keep this about Baja Dog Lovers.

Diane

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:26 PM

It is reported that the Lewis & Clark expedition members, as well as the attendent Native Americans, loved dogs also-----they were delicious.

Personally, I like cats.

I KNOW that I am flawed, and in few ways deserve the TOTAL affection and love given by a dog, and therefore it makes me uncomfortable to be the object of that blind love-------

Cats truly know me, and reflect that in their measured and cautious love---------now that reflects the true nature of a relationship, to me--------you must constantly "earn" love, as it should be, IMHO.

And as for freedom------in this country I feel completely free without the reassurance of a furry friend (tho I admit it is sure fun to watch their crazy happy antics in the wilds)

barry
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 03:33 PM

Diane,

Nicely said. We had the choice of leaving Cora home with me and Cody, or letting her go to the race with Dern. It was not a tough decision. We said the "M" word to Cora and she was springing on all fours like a kangaroo and was up in the truck in a flash. That was yesterday morning, 5 am.

She knows her "Mexico" and is, as I type, stretched out in the sunshine on our front porch tiles.

It would have been selfish of me to keep her here with us when I KNOW that she'd rather be in Baja. Just like her mom.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 04:14 PM
Either You Get Dogs

...or you don't.

I mean in the "one of the greatest part of life in their own manner" way, not in the "oh, he's so cute, human baby substitute" way.

Companion animals, be they dogs, cats, birds or whatever engages your affections, are, in essence, creatures true to their own nature and we share our space with them.

If you love dogs...great! I love dog stories. Other people don't.

That's why I proposed a separate forum to Doug for stories about our critters in Baja and sharing information about resources, i.e., vets and other stuff. He has server and time issues, but the suggestion is under consideration.

[Edited on 11-11-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 04:27 PM

We never go anywhere without Zeke.
Although he occasionally goes places without us !!

He and the wife Rita LOVE Baja !!

z.jpg - 37kB
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 04:29 PM

And Zeke wants to know if we can bring Kit too ??

kit.jpg - 41kB
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
..Either You Get Dogs

...or you don't.
[Edited on 11-11-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

The first question my later to be-wife liz asked me was "where do your dogs sleep?" my reply was "well, im concerned I may have to surgically remove a pillow from my labrador- Buck's behind" (i didnt use the word behind, but you get the idea)......

Youre either an animal person or not. Now personally I used to be a cat person, but then i discovered that if youre a cat person, you get really weird as you get older, and there's nothing stranger than an elderly woman with 18 cats.....Im a dog person and liz is a dog and horse person. (not youre typical horse person I might add.....)
So if you dont get dogs, you wont get me or liz.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:06 PM

Oh yeh, lets not forget Bucky !!
He gets lonely at home without us.

Wow, how did I do that ??
Click on the blue "buck".

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by Diver]

Attachment: Buck (34kB)
This file has been downloaded 139 times

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 05:12 PM

Freedom Rules!

Thanks Daine, Mason

Mason.jpg - 45kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Roberto,

I was referring the the comment on Gadgets great travel thread through the eyes of his Duke ---the comment that criticized dog threads.

I should have been clearer---but I hope this thread will lead to other people sharing their thoughts about their dogs and not about how dogs are treated.

None of us can stand to see a dog mistreated, but I hope to keep this about Baja Dog Lovers.

Diane

Yes, I know what you were talking about - the thing about Gringos anthropomorphizing their dogs.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 07:21 PM

Isn't it amazing how much better your dog behaves when in Baja? That's what we found when we just vacationed here. No leash, no problem. No fence, no problem. And now that we are here full-time, they pretty much run the campo. Barney (now world-famous) is the self-declared mayor of our camp. He meets and greets everyone coming and going. All three dogs announce new arrivals -- people, cars, or things (like a backhoe) they have not seen in the camp before. They don't annoy anyone. They love it here as much as we do. The landowner's dog comes to our house every day for a treat.

And the best vacations we've ever had are those we could take our dogs on with us. Without them by our sides, we always just worried about them at home! We'd have a dog sitter (never kenneled -- well, maybe once) but none-the-less, we love having them wherever we go...even when it's a little inconvenient.

And yes, a labrador makes a nice pillow! Beagles are great footwarmers. And wild haired terrier mixes? Just fun to watch.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 07:55 PM
Since We Are Sharing

...our secret life with dogs.

The alpha male rottweiler takes the head of the bed - you will adjust your pillow.

The female rot takes the end of the bed and watches out the window, all night.

The baby Great Dane figures out a way to get on the bed, between all.

The German Shepherd sleeps on the pillow beside the bed and patrols the house all night.

Uhmmm..where do I sleep? Wherever.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 07:56 PM

Who Let the Dogs Out?

just one...

...or a whole bunch of 'em

Diane, I can't believe you don't want these precious prints to customize your cement! Actually these aren't Fillmore's prints, but came free of charge in the product as purchased. I really like them.:biggrin:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 08:23 PM

I was told it was good luck to have a dog's paw print set in your tiles. I have one in my house.

P<*)))><

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2007 at 08:31 PM
Dog Print Tile

Yes, we have them in our casa. Somebody said that they were good luck. Maybe they were more expensive?

I like our dog print tiles.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 09:47 AM

Herc and Shally love Baja!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 10:30 AM

Soulpatch,

Watch out for the dead, dried puffer fish that are on your beach. Your pup will be drawn to them like a rawhide chew toy, and they are deadly.

P<*)))><

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 10:32 AM

Careful there soulpatch;

Most vets do not recommend taking puppies to Baja until they have completed their Parvo series. Little guys don't do well if they get it.
Although chances are he'll be fine, maybe something to consider.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.