Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Baja slammed by CNN
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 03:46 PM
Baja slammed by CNN

At 2:15pm pst today CNN did a 3 min. segment reporting the recent problems the Surfer and his girl friend had at a popular surfing spot on the northern Baja Pacific coast----interviewing the couple on site in Baja. They were shot at, she was multi-raped, and they lost about $10K worth of stuff to the robbers/assaulters------same story that we have recently discussed on this board.

My point in posting this is that CNN stated that the US State Dept., and others, are now cautioning folks to be extremely careful when visiting Baja, and to consider not going at all. They emphathised that there are multible incidents similar to this one, and that it has become a dangerous place. The couple, of course, stated that they would never visit Baja again------further stateing that he had probably surfed in Baja in the past over 500 times-------but never again.

CNN tried to contact the various "agencies", in both Baja and Mexico, and were told "no information" is available, or the agencies did not return the calls at all.

This does not bode well for tourism in Baja----and the problem has hit the BIG TIME, NOW.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

My point in posting this is that CNN stated that the US State Dept., and others, are now cautioning folks to be extremely careful when visiting Baja, and to consider not going at all.

If you check the Department of State website there are no travel advisories warning about Baja.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:04 PM

elizabeth--------that is truly interesting.

I am only reporting what was just said on CNN-------and I listened very carefully.

-----of course, me being a conservative and a FOX NEWS fan, I have my own doubts about the accuracy and "unbiased" reporting by CNN. :(
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:06 PM

I saw the second half of that report. Besides the story about recent crime in baja; they had a brief interview with someone from the state department.

I think the travel advisories the state department person was talking about referred to taxi crime in DF, bus hijackings/robberies in Oaxaca, and some drug violence in border cities (TJ and Nuevo Leon for the most part)

[Edited on 11-18-2007 by Mango]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:06 PM

It's about time.
The Baja State Department won't give a comment? What insolent crap. They go into their denial mode with the message that, "We don't have any idea what you're talking about." That's what they've done for years and will continue to do untill the American traveling public finds a way to come together and demand accountability. It isn't so much the felon who violates the tourist, it's the government that says it isn't happening.
That is unacceptible, even collusive.
We need a website that will address the issues at hand. A board that will give us a voice. One that will publish our complaints and the pains that we have endured.
Anybody out there who can facilitate this?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:10 PM

Dennis-------

it seems to me that if CNN is reporting this, then it HAS reached a level where the Mexican government had better address it, or it truly will get out of hand and tourism will suffer, as it should.

-----but I am with you in all you say here.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
elizabeth--------that is truly interesting.

I am only reporting what was just said on CNN-------and I listened very carefully.

-----of course, me being a conservative and a FOX NEWS fan, I have my own doubts about the accuracy and "unbiased" reporting by CNN. :(

I absolutely believe that's what was said, and that's of course what you heard. I am the political opposite of you, not being a conservative, but I don't trust any news network, Fox or CNN. I don't think any of them are accurate and unbiased!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:20 PM

It will die, Barry. Just like all other comments by the news. Why wouldn't it? There are no activists to take it over and run with it. 48 hours and it's dead. So sad.
How do we develop a base to coordinate our feelings? I don't know but, I know it would benefit most people here. Even the ones who don't care.
Can you think about it? Think about being one of a group of people who stand up for themselves and fight the crap that we are being subjected to?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
I am the political opposite of you, not being a conservative,

What does politics have to do with mayhem?
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:27 PM

Perhaps this State Department warning was alluded to.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I am the political opposite of you, not being a conservative,

What does politics have to do with mayhem?

Not much, I was talking about television networks.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:34 PM

elizabeth------

Now I AM confused. The site referred to above by Jack Swords DOES make comments about Baja, by the State Department, and I am pretty sure that this is what CNN was referring too.

Now, what were YOU referring too by saying "nothing on the State Dept. website"? :?:

barry
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
elizabeth------

Now I AM confused. The site referred to above by Jack Swords DOES make comments about Baja, by the State Department, and I am pretty sure that this is what CNN was referring too.

Now, what were YOU referring too by saying "nothing on the State Dept. website"? :?:

barry

That's a very general and vague warning. Read it, would it tell you anything about any Baja problems if you knew Baja? In fact, it tells people to take the toll roads, which, if we've been reading this forum, we know is not the best idea. The Baja part is mostly about execution style drug killings.

I still say, there is nothing on the State Department website that talks about the issues you raised.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
elizabeth------

barry

That's a very general and vague warning. Read it, would it tell you anything about any Baja problems if you knew Baja? In fact, it tells people to take the toll roads, which, if we've been reading this forum, we know is not the best idea. The Baja part is mostly about execution style drug killings.

I still say, there is nothing on the State Department website that talks about the issues you raised.

------and that is certainly your priviledge to think that, but I believe that you are misleading others by denying that the State Dept. has addressed the problem-------to me they have. It is a typical State Dept. statement-----you can do with it what you want.

Bottom line: what CNN said appears true to me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
The Baja part is mostly about execution style drug killings.

Our concern isn't drug killings. Our people arn't in that sphere if you're talking cartel. The killings are now aimed at the vulnerable and weak. We are targeted because of who we are and what we have. Soft targets.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:55 PM

Interesting....

CNN sez that the State Dept. sez that Baja is not safe for tourists... and this causes an uproar even among the folks who want others to stay away, folks who want the land to remain much as it is today.

Of course, if CNN had said that the State Dept. advised that every tourist go to Baja now because it's the best of all places for gringos to vacation.... I think we'd find something to complain about there, too.

I'm with Elizabeth on this... it's the news. No reason for me to trust the news any more than I trust politicians.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Interesting....

CNN sez that the State Dept. sez that Baja is not safe for tourists... and this causes an uproar even among the folks who want others to stay away, folks who want the land to remain much as it is today.

Of course, if CNN had said that the State Dept. advised that every tourist go to Baja now because it's the best of all places for gringos to vacation.... I think we'd find something to complain about there, too.

I'm with Elizabeth on this... it's the news. No reason for me to trust the news any more than I trust politicians.

nena

Nena-----------say what?????? :?: You have completely lost me on that one. :no:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 05:01 PM

Quote:

Nena-----------say what?????? :?: You have completely lost me on that one. :no:

yep, Barry, that happens.... my aging mind simply wanders off on some path of its own. And no, I don't want to hear about the early stages of dementia.;D:biggrin:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 05:04 PM

Nena---------it is NOT what the State Dept. says that is important (that is just supporting info)--------the main point is that CNN has highlighted a very real problem that occurred to some surfers in Baja-----THAT IS THE ISSUE.

----and that is how it should be------the developing problems in Baja need to be shown in glaring light, and perhaps being on National news is a step in the right direction, it seems to me.

This stuff is REAL, and no amount of denying it makes it go away-----------

You and Elizabeth bringing in your "suspicions" just detracts from the problem, weakens it, and you thereby become part of the problem, making Dennis right------it may just fade away, and the problem will get worse, and more innocent folks will be harmed, robbed, raped, etc. if it is not kept in the lime light and solved.

I just don't get what you agenda is here---------:?:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2007 at 05:09 PM

Her agenda is what 99.9% of people's agenda is. Stick your head in the sand and it will go away.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.