BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Free Long Distance from Mexico,Magic Jack says its easier and better
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 11-19-2007 at 09:34 AM
Free Long Distance from Mexico,Magic Jack says its easier and better

than Skype and vonage, Might be something good for us that travel back and forth between 2 places. Looks like we could use it in an internet cafe also. Check it out. No, I have no monetary involvement. Just found it and looking at it for myself. k:light:
edit Sorry I forgot the link http://www.magicjack.com/site/index.html

[Edited on 11-19-2007 by Keri]

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:12 AM
I just hooked mine up. It''s fabulous

For anyone here in Mexico you can make free calls to the US . You also get a local number so people can call you. It's also portable , You can take it with you when you travel. I love mine. Again I have nothing to do with the company but I sure would like to have some stock in it. Take a look www.magicjack.com,k:yes::bounce:

011521-646-119-9445
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:22 AM

Keri:

Their ad says that you can use your own number......is this for incoming calls????? If have a local US number and am in Ensenada, if someone calls my US number, will it ring in Ensenada???

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:29 AM

It would be very useful, if in fact you can take it along with you without having to get a separate local phone number.

I can't find anything in the information about how this would work in Baja with a US phone number; however, they say starting yesterday that you can BUY prepaid foreign long distance credits????

Can someone more technologically advanced explain?
Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:39 AM
Yes your phone rings in Ensenada.

My family was having a great time yesterday calling me on my new san diego number. also has free voicemail. All you do is plug it into your usb port and then a phone receiver in to it. That's it. You do not need the phone to be plugged into your wall connection. It can be used by phone or you can use the head set to your computer. Has a nice easy interface. I also like that you can take it wit you when you travel . That way I can take it to our place in San Quintin and use it when I'm there or you could use it at an internet cafe.. I love it. I'm going to tell everyone I know about it. There is a question and answer chat on the website. They can answer more for you.,k:bounce::tumble::spingrin::yes:

011521-646-119-9445
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:41 AM

wonder how this would work on a satelite internet service????

Is there a link that shows what areas their supplied numbers are from???

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by bajaguy]

Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:50 AM
I'm on wireless. it works great

Elizabeth where did you find that info. I looked all over their page and couldn't find it. Bajaguy, They give you a choice of numbers after you register all different area codes.,k

011521-646-119-9445
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 10:56 AM

from Elizabeth.............they say starting yesterday that you can BUY prepaid foreign long distance credits????.....

Go to their homepage, click on customer support......go to the bottom of that page.... next to the purple e-mail envelope under International calling

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 11:17 AM

As for satellite, upload speed is too slow...they will not be able to hear you, unless you have a upgrade service.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 11:49 AM

What will it cost after the free 30 day period.. And yes they are making money right now with you going to their site, just click upper right hand corner. No free lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 11:53 AM
It costs 39.95 for the jack

and 1 year free calls.k

011521-646-119-9445
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 11:55 AM

$39.95 for Jack and first year of service, $19.95 for second year of service

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
Elizabeth where did you find that info. I looked all over their page and couldn't find it. Bajaguy, They give you a choice of numbers after you register all different area codes.,k

Here's what you get when you put international in the search box. You don't get anything with Mexico in the search box.

"Is there anything else I could be charged for that I am not aware of?
No.

International calling requires the purchase of pre-paid calling minutes from our website.
Can my children run up any fees on magicJack that I won’t be aware of?
No. All calls from magicJack are free.

You cannot call 900 numbers or make international long distance calls with magicJack. We will sell international call minutes on our website shortly.
Can I make Calls to other countries beside Canada on magicJack?
Not at this time. We plan to sell international calling minutes in the near future."
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 03:59 PM

I use a product called Gizmo...it has all the services listed by Magic Jack, except the jack for old analog phones. I trashed my last analog phone more then 2 years ago. I believe magic jack, if they don't have to charge for the "jack" and support blue-tooth for my cell...may be price completive. I don't use the phone much and on my last trip didn't use all of the $10 I ordered in 4 months, but my own US number cost $12 every 3 months...way too much. The "Magic Jack" seem to be their gimmick...would hate to pay for ancient technology to use their service...a lot easier to travel with blue-tooth cell or lite weight head phones. on an annual basis at $19.95...it is hard to beat for living in Baja...

Edit: just in case, some may not realize to have real time phone service....computer must be awake and on-line to have a call come in.

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 04:06 PM

It appears that if you get a US number from them and call a US number there is no charge. If you use a US number to call a foreign number then you will need to buy the foreign minutes.................????

Also it looks like it will support a digital phone or a wireless phone system in your house if you plug the base unit into the jack/usb device

Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 04:30 PM
I don't know how it works,

But I live here in Baja. I have it plugged in to my computer here at home and I have a phone handset plugged in to that. I can call US numbers. I have called friends in Atlanta, kids in Calif and Mother in AZ. Worked everywhere no problems. My mother has called me a bunch of times(boy did I make a mistake there LOL) and my son who calls me all the time already calls me more on the 619 number I now have. I did try to call Loreto. Wouldn't let me or I don't know how to dial on this or that is where the international units you pay for come in. I will find out more tomorrow. I'll let you know more then. However it works ,it works. I love it, k:spingrin: PS. I did sign up with a US addy and cell phone number. Don't know if that makes a diff or not,k

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by Keri]

011521-646-119-9445
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 04:49 PM

keri

looks like the setup doesn't know or care where you are as long as you have a US number and are calling/receiving from US numbers. You can't call Loreto because you don't have the International credits/plan.

I think you could call anyone in Mexico if they had a US number at their Mexican location.

Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 11:56 AM
Al Your computer does not have to be on.

Quote:
The free answering device picks up if you have your magic jack unplugged or if your computer is off. International units will be ready in about a week. It does not work with a cell phone ,k quote]
Edit: just in case, some may not realize to have real time phone service....computer must be awake and on-line to have a call come in.

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by Al G]
:

[Edited on 12-8-2007 by Keri]

011521-646-119-9445
conquestkm
Junior Nomad

Mood: "I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades."

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 09:29 AM

I'm still a little unclear how it works in Baja .Example if you use your laptop at say a McDonalds or Am Pm mini stop (free wifi access) and plug in this device and then call on your cell phone .Will it work??
Next example I'm still unclear on .Is if you are in your house 1. you need DSL access (Telnor no longer offers dial up service) right ??

Conquestkm
Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 09:52 AM
You will need a handset not a cell phone

and the only the receiver not the base set. it does not need to be plugged into the wall connection.Then as long as you have an internet connection it will work. I bought a little $5.00 phone at Walmart so I can take it with me when I travel. I have wireless here and have no problems.I don't know about telnor. Check out their website. www.magicjack.com They have a live chat line that can answer your questions better than I,k

011521-646-119-9445
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.