Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Paz Magote development
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 12:54 PM
La Paz Magote development

Took this photo today...sure is a different view of the Bay now.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 01:03 PM

WOW.... those buildings look like twins! So much going on in La Paz these days.
Thanks for the update.
Bob H
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:20 PM

What ever happened with the old abandoned Gran Baja?

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:30 PM

Seeing this picture reminds me of the day I was watching the gorgeous sunset in La Paz, then turned around only to see a huge shiny new Burger King had been built on the Malecon, right there in the historic district. It was awful - I cried.

After that trip, I remember posting on the old Amigos board of seeing this monstrosity and being horrified. I was nearly stoned... why didn't I want to see little Mexican children having the same advantages as our children in the states?!

It wasn't all that long ago, yet now the Malecon has many modern buildings and an Applebee's :barf:
and when you go outside, Jack has shown us the new view of El Mogote.

Lucky little Mexican children.... I can see it's getting a lot better for them. :rolleyes::no::mad:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

They're in the process of turning that building also into condos. Pricey ones I might add.
Can't remember where I did see the article.
Baja insider maybe/:?::?:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:45 PM

I will bet that if you were to show that photo to the people of La Paz 80% would not have even noticed. I'm one of the 80%.:saint::saint:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:46 PM

From the Insider:

In La Paz proper there are a variety of new real estate projects underway. The Villa la Posada complex will include condominiums and poolside two and three level designs as well as bay view condos in the 8 story tower. In the same area, the former Gran Baja Hotel has been for years. Construction has begun to renovate the property into condominiums and fractional ownership vacation units. These projects are just part of the changing face of the La Posada area of La Paz. Single family homes and even some lots are still available in this area, where real estate values will benefit greatly as these two projects come to fruition

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:50 PM

So, is the Aquamarina RV Park still going strong? Has it been encroached on much? I havent been back there in probably 8-9 years.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:58 PM

Oh well I guess, if you notice the quote from the Insider they even changed the name of the place, " La Posada area of La Paz", my gosh, not even the original owner of La Posada, Bill Callahan called it that, it is Playa Sur.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 04:22 PM

As of last spring, the Aquamarina is still there and doing fine.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 05:40 PM

I really noticed the development on El Mogote at sunset. Lots of lights there now; I guess you gotta go out there for the famous sunsets now.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 07:18 PM

To look on the bright side, the array of lights over there will brighten up the night view from the Malecon.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 07:32 PM

Some of you MUST have seen the view across Hong Kong harbor--------breath taking!!!!! at night, or by day.

But, this is NOT the Baja that attracted me many years ago.

barry
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Took this photo today...sure is a different view of the Bay now.

Jack - your camera is too good! Try a disposable Instamatic and El Magote shrinks down a bit.

I think the world is run by C- students.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 08:10 PM

To me, the photo was shocking. It obliterates the view I had grown to love. Well, that's progress. Also, that's just another reason for me to never return to La Paz. (See no dogs on the Malecon string). The cliche goes, "growth is inevitable". Fine, but it looses me and others who remember when. :(

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
So, is the Aquamarina RV Park still going strong? Has it been encroached on much? I havent been back there in probably 8-9 years.

As I understand it, the owners have retired and the park is closed for business, except to a few long-timers and close friends.
Cervisin
Nomad

Mood: Mañana... quizá

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 04:53 AM

Quote:

http://www.la-paz-bcs.com/blog/?p=42

http://www.la-paz-bcs.com/blog/?p=43

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
To me, the photo was shocking. It obliterates the view I had grown to love. Well, that's progress. Also, that's just another reason for me to never return to La Paz. (See no dogs on the Malecon string). The cliche goes, "growth is inevitable". Fine, but it looses me and others who remember when. :(

No dogs on the Malecon....means no more dog sh&t..:bounce: YEAH :bounce:

It´s all in the perspective dude....:lol::lol::lol:

CaboRon

Cervisin
Nomad

Mood: Mañana... quizá

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

No dogs on the Malecon....means no more dog sh&t..:bounce: YEAH :bounce:

It´s all in the perspective dude....:lol::lol::lol:

CaboRon

So what you saying - by your perspective - is no more dog sh&t because all the stray dogs will obey the signs + there is going to be sufficient enforcement of that rule....

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 07:20 AM

The Magote deal is probably the most short sighted, ill conceived, worst thing that happened to La Paz because it has destroyed the most beautiful resource la paz had, which was a beautiful sunset, a tranquil open clean beach remote beach, a marshland to feed and grow insects and the birds and fish. And for whose benefit?

Magote is just a joke and it is the most ill conceived one to boot. Building a resort on a remote sand bar/marshland in a wind tunnel/hurricane alley with no transportation or infrastructure is idiotic and worse, once the bridge is built mogote will have destroyed la paz bay completely, by destroying the ecosystem as well as the estetic, La Paz's two prime resources.

Not to mention the idiocy of trucking in a bad element and dropping them off at sunset and picking them up at sunrise completely unpoliced and in your neighborhood. Already the workers they brought in to work there make up the worst element in La Paz--robbers/druggies since they are underpaid drug addict outsiders and desperate and hungry with no place to sleep at night, they spend the whole night huddled together off the malecon, hungry and cold, robbing the yachts and tourists and pacenos at night who previously enjoyed the malecon.

Imagine if some developer brought bus loads of poor, angry, outsiders and dumped them in your nice tranquil neighborhood at 5pm and picked them up at 8am in the same spot everyday. It's more insanity for La Paz.

If Magote was such a nice resort place people would want to stay there at night and camp like all over Baja, but its not and no one can spend the night there where they constructed. It's an exposed sand bar thats either burning hot exposed or freezing cold and windy. Not even one person of the hundreds of workers can/will stay there for one moment they don't have to be there. Its like a prison, like alcatraz, where you watch the malecon circus and you would do anything to escape.

[Edited on 12-8-2007 by gnukid]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.