Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cops harrassment of americans
rayfornario
Nomad

mad.gif posted on 12-12-2007 at 02:42 PM
cops harrassment of americans

I have read about other people having issues with the cops in TJ. I never thought I would have a problem too.
I go to TJ for dinner once a week and to visit friends and it definetly had an effect on my visits... I don't go as often and when I do, I leave before dark.
I went down for dinner and to vist friends and have a cigar at Rudy's like I usually do. I left to go back home later then usual. I got to the pedestrian bridge over the lanes of north bound traffic. It was very dark and I noticed the 2 police officers on the side, dimly lit by what little light was around. They stopped me, asked me where I lived and what I was doing down in TJ. I politely told them and they then asked if I had any illegal drugs on me. I replied" what are you kidding me...no of course not! They said to have a nice evening. I took a step away from them and he stopped me again. This time he said I want you to think very carefully about your answer...If I search pockets now, will I find any illegal drugs. Again I said no, a bit more annoyed now. He asked if he could check and I told him to not touch me, my pockets or my wallet and to get a supervisor here right now. He then said to ahve a nice evening and I left. I was pretty annoyed now and when I looked over my shoulder, I saw that they said nothing to a group of 4 americans coming back but again stopped another guy traveling alone and they already were patting him down.
I went down again 2 weeks later and saw the cops pulling the same crap with other people but they did not bother me because I was with my wife.
This is why people do not want to go down there:fire: anymore!

Even a bad day in Baja is better then a good day somewhere else!
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 03:23 PM

I sent you a U2U

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 06:43 PM

Since last summer TJ has been having a security crackdown. They have been checking tourists in the Centro for drugs. Apparently, locals are not happy with the type of tourists hanging out in the Centro at night.

If I go to the Centro at night alone I'm routinely stopped by police and checked. They are usually polite and never had anything stolen.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 06:52 PM

The key word here is SINDICATURA

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 07:17 PM

Is racial profiling illegal in Mex?
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 07:33 PM

You know, These cops said they had seen me down there before(I go every week to have dinner and a cigar) but you could tell they were after some money andf only backed down after I asked for an supervisor!

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 07:37 PM

During a friendly patdown they could've slipped something in your pocket too, "Amigo, you have a big problema"...

Big $$$

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 10:56 PM

Son P-nche locos, vamonos loco con ellos.

You must remember their names (it's everything in mexico) and their photos and remember every detail and at least make a documentation for our benefit, please.

Everything is going to the better with good reports of exactly what happened.

They have no reason to touch you without your permission to search, just say no no permiso and be really nice about it and joke about how you miss the old bad cops who are in jail now, my uncles and grandpa who are in jail, "mis tios y abuelos en el carcel'.

[Edited on 12-14-2007 by gnukid]
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 06:11 AM

If any Police Officer stops you and wants to search your car or person politely state:

1. No soy criminal. “I am not a criminal.”

2. No hice nada contra la ley. “I have done nothing against the law”

3. No quiero que revisas a mi o a mi(s) vehículo(s). “I do not want you to search me or my vehicle(s).”

4. Dile a su supervisor que venga aquí al la escena. “Tell your supervisor to come the scene.”

5. Vamos a ver al Juez. “Let’s go see the judge.”

6. Dame un minuto voy a llamar a la Sindicatura. “Give me a minute I am going to call the Sindicatura.”

Cut and past the below into word shrink the font and print several of them to stick on your driver’s license vehicle registration etc. Make the word SINDICATURA in red.

Si tienes problemas con la Policía por favor marca a la SINDICATURA indicada abajo.

Tijuana - (664) 688-2810 - 973-7770 - 973-7759 - 683-4095
Ensenada - (646) 617-1561 - 176-2222 - 617-1561
Mexicali - (686) 558-1600 ext. 1661

[Edited on 12-14-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 07:54 AM

this is the way it works down here, and you handled it correctly. the problem comes when people don't understand the system and just do what ever they ask them to do. never pay a cop always ask to see the chef.

good job rayfornario

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 08:11 AM

The "chef" can put you in a fine stew.:spingrin:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 08:16 AM

I think it is a very good idea to make a little card with the Sindicatura info you posted...like a credit card size and plasticized to go behind your license..that was you have the info right there...its all about avoiding problems here! I would definately travel with a cel phone now always.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 01:34 PM

Don't believe everything you think....
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2007 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
If any Police Officer stops you and wants to search your car or person politely state:

1. No soy criminal. “I am not a criminal.”

2. No hice nada contra la ley. “I have done nothing against the law”

3. No quiero que revisas a mi o a mi(s) vehículo(s). “I do not want you to search me or my vehicle(s).”

4. Dile a su supervisor que venga aquí al la escena. “Tell your supervisor to come the scene.”

5. Vamos a ver al Juez. “Let’s go see the judge.”

6. Dame un minuto voy a llamar a la Sindicatura. “Give me a minute I am going to call the Sindicatura.”

Cut and past the below into word shrink the font and print several of them to stick on your driver’s license vehicle registration etc. Make the word SINDICATURA in red.

Si tienes problemas con la Policía por favor marca a la SINDICATURA indicada abajo.

Tijuana - (664) 688-2810 - 973-7770 - 973-7759 - 683-4095
Ensenada - (646) 617-1561 - 176-2222 - 617-1561
Mexicali - (686) 558-1600 ext. 1661

[Edited on 12-14-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.