Author: Subject: For people who do not receive The gringo gazette Norte
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 08:53 AM
For people who do not receive The gringo gazette Norte

http://www.gringogazettenorth.com/v6e19_03.php

Violent Crime Threatens Baja Tourism
Sensationalism, underreporting, or both?
By Nancy Conroy

A spate of recent reports in the US press about carjackings, highway robberies and violent crime in Baja California threatens to destroy tourism. Over Thanksgiving weekend, few visitors arrived in Baja and major tourist destinations were empty. Negative reports about Baja crime are all over the Internet, with most people saying that they are sick of everything about Mexico, and will never travel there again. Tourism officials conducted emergency meetings, and finally made a public announcement last week. The official story is that the crime wave was a brief aberration, measures have been taken, and the problem has now been solved. Believe that story at your peril.

Although the current crime wave has only now been reported by the US press, actually these violent attacks on tourists have been occurring at least since last summer. The reports currently coming out in San Diego are not necessarily new incidents. Some of them happened last August or September, when the last wave of carjackings hit the Baja toll roads. The problem settled down in September and October, and then started up again with a vengeance in November. There was also another rash of attacks and carjackings last year in August of 2006, but that one was covered up more effectively and most people have forgotten about it. But, Baja 1000 racers have not forgotten the murder of Duane Curtis on a lonely beach last year during the 2006 race. That memory is probably what prompted them to arrive late at the race this year, leave early, and report all crimes to the US press. These incidents are nothing new, but the tourists and sportsmen are fed up with it and are finally going public.

Covering up incidents of crime against American tourists has long been a basic goal for Baja officials and real estate leaders. When a Baja tourism e-newsletter recently reprinted one of the crime articles, real estate and tourism officials sent emails to the webmaster arguing that circulating such information was an act of "negativity". The Gringo Gazette first reported the carjackings problem last September and received aggressive criticism for doing so. Leaders and officials prefer to deny reports, ignore the truth, and lean on local media to kill the story. They do nothing about the problem until the US press starts to report it.

Now, the officials are in full PR and damage control mode. There is an old script that they have read to the US press before, the claim that there will now be a safe, "no-shakedown" corridor in the tourist zone. That story is an old yarn that sounds good in press announcements, but has never actually been implemented. They also say that the crime wave was a temporary phenomenon associated with the change in government administration, a claim that is disproved by the actual dates of the crimes. They have also dramatically unveiled new anti-crime initiatives, measures that have been tried before and have never worked in the past. The idea is to convince the American newspapers to report that safety programs are in place, the problem is solved, and Baja is now safe for tourists.

The Baja officials genuinely would like to believe their own hype, but in reality crime is out of their control. The carjackings are not being committed by ordinary criminals, the perpetrators are armed commando squads affiliated with drug cartels. Local, state and federal authorities do not have adequate resources to fight the "Men in Black". The only action that has ever successfully decreased Baja crime is federal intervention by the Mexican military. A tourism protection initiative proposed by business leaders is not going to solve the problem.

In the past, drug crime in Baja did not affect tourists or the American community as much. Previously, the shootings and kidnappings seemed to be directed at police or drug dealers, and Americans were largely unaffected. Now, however, the new carjacking methodology does specifically target Americans, especially naive tourists. An unmarked vehicle, usually a pick up or SUV, flashes police lights and sirens at a car with California plates driving on the toll road. Believing that the car is a police cruiser, the American pulls over to the side of the road and is attacked by armed commandos. Anyone with a sharp eye can learn to identify these vehicles with the lights and sirens, and will soon realize that many of these cars roam the streets, sometimes in caravans. This is a new phenomenon that has emerged over the last year and it represents a serious threat to American tourists.

[Edited on 12-19-2007 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

mad.gif posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:28 AM
Stop Police Corruption

GOOD ! I am encouraged about the drop in tourism... if the Mexican govīt cannot rope in the corrupt police who are preying on American tourists, I hope the bottom drops out . The supply of tourists is not bottomless, and it is very encourageing that the stateside press is finally picking up the ball.

Remember, NEVER stop in Baja Norte :bounce:

CaboRon

As a note: There was a story in the Baja Western Onion (I believe) about a couple who actually restrained one of the home invaders, and when calling the local police, were simply told they would not respond.

Itīs time this BS stops. Right NOW Right HERE :fire:

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:57 AM

Now would be a good time to make a film entitled "A Day Without A Tourist"
livencabo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 10:08 AM

While many people choose to respect the code of silence regarding dangers to persons and property, affecting residents as well as tourists, in my memory, Baja has never been without violence.
It would not improve conditions in Baja to strangle tourism with a dramatic, sudden awareness of the need to be cautious in travels there.
As for "tourist tax" corruption, it has been customary to reward officials who offer to expedite procedures at all levels of authority. I have chosen in all instances not to promote that custion, just as I would not in the US. It usually requires a much longer time to complete the procedure, but it also results in meeting a few honest officials along the way who often become mutually respected friends.
Personal choices are involved in determing the future of Baja.
roamin

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 10:46 AM

Cabo Ron, could you recall where you read that? I would be interested to read that myself. I went through my back issues of the Onion and did not see it but I may have missed it.

Thanks
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by livencabo
While many people choose to respect the code of silence regarding dangers to persons and property, affecting residents as well as tourists, in my memory, Baja has never been without violence.
It would not improve conditions in Baja to strangle tourism with a dramatic, sudden awareness of the need to be cautious in travels there.
As for "tourist tax" corruption, it has been customary to reward officials who offer to expedite procedures at all levels of authority. I have chosen in all instances not to promote that custion, just as I would not in the US. It usually requires a much longer time to complete the procedure, but it also results in meeting a few honest officials along the way who often become mutually respected friends.

And how often do you DRIVE the peninsula, livencabo?

"It would not improve conditions in Baja to strangle tourism with a dramatic, sudden awareness of the need to be cautious in travels there."

Well, we'll neve know until we try. Because this alternative of letting violent crime run rampant is strangling it anyway.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 11:43 AM

Quote:

Just about everything you said is so much crap. You don't by chance sell time-shares, do you?
livencabo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:05 PM

Hook and Dennis,
You feel comfortable rushing to judgement. Maybe some facts about me will clarify my position as I clearly think you do not understand my message. I live in Santa Rosa, SJD. I am certified and have an FM2 to teach English and French which I consider to be my effort toward helping Mexican people to deal with English speakers instead of having to let foreigners develop real estate ventures, including time shares, and finding themselves relegated to working at low wages in low skill jobs for the very same foreigners who are flooding Baja.
I do not pay "mordidas" and have always been cautious, even when many times I have driven the road alone.
I really don't know why my comment offended you. Just today the police are holding men who were robbing the municipal president's house a few blocks from me. Still, I do not think I am more at risk today than 15 years ago when I first moved to Todos Santos and on to San Jose.
I have been driving Baja since I was 12 years old, on and off road like a lot of other Nomads. I am 66 and have given my caballo blanco, 1986 Toyota pickup, to a Mexican friend on whom I now rely for transportation because unlike a lot of older drivers, I know I'm not as sharp as I once was.
I personally believe that the terror campaign is designed to put organized crime in control of Baja. I do not want to have that happen. For now I do think it would be a good idea to leave the flashy toys and arrogance out of Baja and still do what you can to help Mexican people develop their country. If you are down here, I expect you don't really think I am full of crap. The lives of people here have not been easy. They are suffereing much more than tourists from the crime wave.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:46 PM

I agree with much you say. And, yes, the locals suffer much more.

But as mere visitors, there is only so much we can do to effect change without running afoul of the laws of Mexico. Leaving our flashy toys at home is only a stopgap solution, not a permanent one.

It must be clear to you that, ultimately, money is the only motivation that persons on either side of the drug-crime issue reacts to. Money to move drugs, money to bribe police, money to train good cops in good interdiction methods.

And lack of money (through a boycott) to motivate honest businessmen to rail against the dying of the light to their representatives in northern Baja. WE cant take our case to them directly and expect any results.

I await YOUR proposal, if it is something other than leave at home the toys that originally gave Mexico such an appeal to most of us (boats, RVs, off road toys). Most on this board are not content to sip drinks by the pool and call it a vacation. Renting these toys down there is beyond the means of many of us.

Up until apparently 2006, tourism was increasing dramatically in Mexico. Yet the crime has gotten much worse than when you or I started coming in the 60s. Figures released a few weeks ago indicated that Mexico suffered about a 10% drop in tourism in 2006. Yet it was not a down year for tourism in most other parts of the world.

Boycott or no boycott, Mexico's lack of apparent control over this situation is achieving the same results.........much to the detriment of the average citizen.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

There you go again. Do you REALLY believe this is possible, especially in winter, never mind warranted? Do you really believe that all crimes stops at Guerrero Negro? Do you have a grip on reality? :lol::lol::lol:

When you drove down, where was YOUR first stop for the night?

[Edited on 12-19-2007 by Roberto]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:55 PM

Well I had a real mean thing to say about Condo/realtors and feel they were very happy with you...out of touch out of date opinion that, "it is the fault of travelers"...Mexico has been a mess for years.
The corruption and look the other way attitude over petty thief.
It has lead to an environment that the harden criminals have all but taken control...the only way to change this is, Cut off the gringo dollar, make it worth their time. You need to take a long hard look at the real factors...your attitude is one of an enabler and feel there is nothing you can do. Well it is true you can do nothing about the fed up travelers that have to pay morditia for doing nothing wrong except supporting the Mexican citizens of Baja...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

There you go again. Do you REALLY believe this is possible, especially in winter, never mind warranted? Do you really believe that all crimes stops at Guerrero Negro? Do you have a grip on reality? :lol::lol::lol:

I totally fail to see your point...everyone here knows most of the crime on 1 is above Maneadero. I know you are defending Baja...but are you doing any good? How is that working for you...

Albert G

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:08 PM
POLICE MIS-AND-MALFEASANCE

The story about gringos in Cabo actually capturing a burglar and holding him for the police who refused to respond to their telephone calls was reported in the December 10th issue of the Gringo Gazette, southern edition. First mention was in an editorial by Carrie Duncan, the only thing she's ever written with which I could agree. The second mention, as I recall, was in a letter-to-the-editor by the principals involved in the incident.

Carrie's thesis is that the recent escalation of home burglaries in the Cabo area is just the beginning of a crime wave that's going to turn Cabo and SJC into another Tijuana, particularly if the police are allowed to ignore reports of crimes-in-progress and cavalierly disregard the needs of citizens whose property has been invaded.

Every single damn day the local TV channel and the SudCaliforniano are filled to overflowing with pictures of the governor cutting some g....d....n ribbon or another, I think it's time for him to put away the scissors and start kicking some uniformed butts and demanding they produce some results.

I, for one, having grown sick of the unwalled asylum for the criminally insane that San Francisco had become, did not retire down here to live in a hybridized version of 1870's Tombstone and Al Capone's Chicago. That's what's happening all over northern Mexico, and it seems to be but a short matter of time before all that murder and mayhem becomes a staple of our lives here.
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:23 PM

Guns for Gringos is the only answer
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

I consider Baja Norte to be the area north of Maneadero.

My last drive my first stop was at Baja Cactus in El Rosario.

Second stop in Ignacio Springs at the Bed and Breakfast.

The state of Baja California ends at Guerro Negro and the state of Baja California Sur begins there.

There is, of course, no state of Baja Norte it is a geographical area.

CaboRon

And Bajajazz thanks for the clarification on the home invasion story, you are right , it was in the Gazette.

z

[Edited on 12-19-2007 by CaboRon]

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
I totally fail to see your point...

Obviously.

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
I know you are defending Baja...but are you doing any good? How is that working for you...

Wrong again - I'm not defending Baja, just that - Baja Norte extends to Guerrero Negro and I guess I was wondering how it's possible not to stop in it while driving.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
I consider Baja Norte to be the area north of Maneadero.

Well, that's a new designation. BC (often referred to as Baja Norte) extends to Guerrero Negro, and that's the reason for my question.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hook and Dennis,
You feel comfortable rushing to judgement. Maybe some facts about me will clarify my position as I clearly think you do not understand my message.

My judgements are rarely rushed towards. I practice studied reaction, right or wrong.

Your first paragraph is mind-boggeling. I have no idea what you're saying and I want to understand your points but, you don't facilitate that.

Why do your comments offend me?
What is the code of silence?

These are your things. Why would you think it appropriate to stay silent when your own is being abused?

Your nonsense statement that curtailing tourism would have no affect is ludicrous. What would be your suggestion? Sit back and hope it doesn't happen to you?
I really think that you don't understand the gravity of the problem.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:17 PM

The border has nothing to do with crime...Baja California and Baja Sur are not relevant...Baja Norte is where many people associate crime. Everyone using Baja Norte in reference to crime, as all of you know, is Tijuana to Just below Ensenada to Maneadero. Try as you may, you will not change that.:P:lol:

"Just don't stop in Baja Norte":cool:

Albert G

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Hmmmm. Thinking. Wondering, Observing...

The attack on the Rosarito Police, like the attack on the TJ Police recently and the other heavy handed attacks across Baja and the rest of Mexico on foreigners and locals in conjunction with no active response seems to be very very complicated to understand however the very direct and powerful aggressions are achieving a clear and simple result--expulsion of foreigners--expulsion of good guys.

What do we know?

We know there have been increasingly serious attacks against locals, foreigners and police.

We know little if any visible response to aggressive acts have been made by the federal gov and few police stations have been fortified.

With no visible defense, we can assume that no response has been directed by the federal government because if any existed, it would be visible.

There hasn't been an increase in resources to fight the criminal power structure, because...?

We can conclude that the aggressors are effectively in charge as no federal militia has pursued the criminals in any measurable way.

Its a power grab that has effectively been completed and apparently its a top down power grab.

Encouraging tourists to leave must then be a goal of the power grab, since the acts are so dramatic and obvious and designed to instill fear with little else to gain, the only real thing the acts achieve is to instill fear in tourists and locals and encourage tourists to leave.

Now much land in Baja has been effectively been sold, meaning the money has changed hands-the deals are completed. So what does a smart land baron do? Steal it back and sell it again.

Much of the land is now owned by foreigners, so now apparently the goal is to take back the land through intimidation and expulsion of the foreign land owners.

This shell game, sell it, then steal it back, then sell it back to the victim and then rob again, is a centuries old traditional game.

There is no reason for the Mexican Federal Government to defend the foreign assets and perhaps, quite obviously, the acts, the goals, the results, are clear and being achieved effectively by those in power of the federal government.

We know the US Federal Government power brokers are criminals-Bush, Cheney, Rumsfelt e.g. is it such a surprise that the power brokers in Mexican Federal Government are criminals too?

It's all pretty clear.

Oh, I dont think it's about removing foreigners from their land. The unfortunate foreigners who have been caught up in this are pretty rare. They just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the fringe of the cartel saw an opportunity to relieve them of their toys.

No, this is likely about how easily contraband can and cant be moved through sections of Mexico. Tourists are rarely the victims of that; whether by sheer luck or a simple desire of the cartels to not pee off the US State Dept and bring more Federales into the zone.

That's not to say we shouldnt take action to minimize our risks even more.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.