BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Baja: Not Mexican enough!
memo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 10:39 AM
Baja: Not Mexican enough!

Since we moved to Mexico: Walmart, Costco and Home Depot have opened close by. Appleby's, Carls Junior and Burger King weren't far behind. The general population demographics of southern california and northern baja are very similar. Real estate prices in Baja are not far behind prices in california. Restaurant prices in my experience are higher in baja than california. Cost of home electronics are much higher in baja. Can anyone tell me what happened to Mexico? Where did it go?

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by memo]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 10:44 AM

:lol::o:lol::o:lol::o

I am thinking that "only you can answer that question".

A tough one---------
Eugenio
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 10:49 AM

We have met the enemy and - oh - forget it.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 10:51 AM

Thanks a lot Memo. Now all the gringos will be climbing the wall to come down here, make a better life for themselves.
fulano
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by memo
The general population demographics of southern california and northern baja are very similar. Real estate prices in Baja are not far behind prices in california. Restaurant prices in my experience are higher in baja than california. Cost of home electronics are much higher in baja.

Great, now all the rest of the Mexicans will be moving to California for our cheap food and electronics.

:lol:
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:27 AM

¿WHAT?

Thats like saying, Where are the frigging cowboys in California.

You are nuts..

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 11:27 AM

memo, Agree with your observations. :) Baja has morphed into an extension of southern CA.:D
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:10 PM

Yeah :rolleyes:
Loreto Bay or Malibu south, without the Hollywood flakes.:P:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:20 PM
Don't tell me

Todos Santos the New Santa Fe. Wait wait I think it was the New Malibu South.

Old MX? Try La Paz. MX enough for me. BEST town in BCS but nobody asked me.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:22 PM

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:26 PM
No matter how much TJ changes, it's still the same

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8

STILL love TJ! Don't care how CRAZY it gets. It just FEELS like MX. Can't explain it. Must be the Mexicans.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 01:49 PM

Memo,
What are you missing?

Taking advantage of a "third world" country's poverty?
Expecting the "natives" to smile and bow as they deliver your meal?
The feeling that somehow their "quaintness" is disappearing?

Baja is it's own unique part of Mexico and does not have much of the colonial influence that the mainland has...it is closer to Kalifornia than the mainland in regards to direct traveller influences. Maybe some people think that such corporate invasion is progress....

I don't like the pervasiveness of those McD's and Home Depots, etc north of Tecate any more than you seem to feel about them springing up south of the border.

Since the USA seems to be the financial home for such "invaders", you might direct your concerns to the corporate greed fueling such "development".

Such corporate invasions have sullied the romantic notions of other countries all over the planet.

The world is certainly changing....too bad some cultural influences from other countries don't influence North America in ways that help people respect each other more, develop stronger and healthier family ties, and see beyond the illusion of "the American dream".

I prefer the outback and less developed areas of any country over their urban blight ....so I share the resentment of such corporate pollution.

Don't believe everything you think....
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 02:32 PM

It's not just Baja that has changed, the mainland has gone though many changes as well. Big box stores, tract homes, atm's, cell phones, internet, ..you name it. Some good, some bad.

I'd agree that Baja often has more in common with California than Mexico.. But, that's mainly due to it's geography and history and has far less to do with all the gringos. It does disturb me to see gringos in some of the tourist areas make no effort to speak the local language... but I feel that is another issue.

Sometimes I shop in WalMart in Mexico; but, not at Walmart in the States. Of all the times I've been to WalMart in Mexico, I've yet to see another gringo in the store shopping. I suppose they didn't really build it for gringos did they?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Memo,
What are you missing?

Taking advantage of a "third world" country's poverty?
Expecting the "natives" to smile and bow as they deliver your meal?
The feeling that somehow their "quaintness" is disappearing?

Baja is it's own unique part of Mexico and does not have much of the colonial influence that the mainland has...it is closer to Kalifornia than the mainland in regards to direct traveller influences. Maybe some people think that such corporate invasion is progress....

I don't like the pervasiveness of those McD's and Home Depots, etc north of Tecate any more than you seem to feel about them springing up south of the border.

Since the USA seems to be the financial home for such "invaders", you might direct your concerns to the corporate greed fueling such "development".

Such corporate invasions have sullied the romantic notions of other countries all over the planet.

The world is certainly changing....too bad some cultural influences from other countries don't influence North America in ways that help people respect each other more, develop stronger and healthier family ties, and see beyond the illusion of "the American dream".

I prefer the outback and less developed areas of any country over their urban blight ....so I share the resentment of such corporate pollution.

Moto-----With all respect, I believe what you say here is just silly. Corporations provide what people appear to want, pure and simple-------the whole idea of enterprise and capitolism is to make money. If you think that is "greed" then I don't know what to say. If people don't want it, then don't buy the product. This is like blaming auto accidents on the auto, or killings on guns--------both silly ideas----------PEOPLE cause the "happenings", not the objects.

I too miss the Mexico that I enjoyed for so many years (55+) and there are 100's of reasons that is so, and I believe that many of us feel the same way. Most of the reasons I went to Mexico in the first place are rapidly disappearing, and I don't apologize for feeling that way at all------it is called progress, and it is inevitable--------and I don't pass judgement on that---------it is just "not my thing" down there anymore-----I liked it the way it was.

You should be thrilled as you won't have to deal with folks like me anymore---------and I truly hope that you find all the pleasure that I once did in "Old Mexico". Everything is relative-------------but to criticise or put-down somebodies thoughts or feelings is not productive in my mind (tho I am doing the same thing, I suppose)

With that said, I will quit.

Barry
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 02:53 PM

Shopping at WalMart!:o God forbid!!Only the poor low-class rabble shop there.:o You know, those penny-pinching red-necks that drive old beat-up vehicles and wear hand-me-downs rags.:)
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:18 PM

That's the reason the parking lots at Home Depot and CostCo in San Diego are filled with baja plates. Capitalism is indeed the culprit for northern Baja costing more for many things. Part is the import taxes on goods plus a 10% sales tax. The prices got higher because they could (supply and demand). But once demand has dropped, Mexico doesn't adjust prices downward to rekindle demand. The Mexican gov't tries to control some prices on food items- but lately that has backfired (fuel subsidy) because they really don't have the infrasturcture and revenue sources to support it. My Ford Escape hybrid was made in Mexico- and you can't even buy it down here. They will import one for full sticker price plus 10% tax for you though.

In the USA when times get tough companies market hard and discount quickly- not so in Mexico where the wheels turn slowly- if at all. They are just now finding out that house prices in San Diego are down 25% from two years ago- and still they make no attempt to adjust.

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
memo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:19 PM

Moto said:

Yeah, the US could learn from other cultures. The only problem is, I can't think of any specific examples right off hand. Perhaps you can name one or two countries? France? Oh, that's right, they borrowed our revolution. China? Oh, I forgot. They don't embrace human rights and they burn dirty coal. India? Great place if you happen to be a cow and not a starving human. Help me out here, Moto, I'm running fresh out of examples.

Baja is the glistening citadel on top of the hill compared to most of the world, make no mistake about it. The "corporate greed" you refer to is what will lift the population here out of poverty and into a better life. The "corporate invasion" as you call it is welcomed here, if not in northern california. I sometimes miss a slower and quieter time here which is rapidly vanishing, but it is a selfish sentiment. Someday the people of Baja will have all the advantages of the US: an open government, Bill of Rights, and the best justice system in the world. In the meantime their quickest path to a good life is a one way trip to the United States of America.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Shopping at WalMart!:o God forbid!!Only the poor low-class rabble shop there.:o You know, those penny-pinching red-necks that drive old beat-up vehicles and wear hand-me-downs rags.:)

At 115 degrees in the shade.. just walking out in the sun here in Mexicali makes you an instant redneck. ;D

There is a WalMart pretty close to my place here in Mexicali, and mi novia likes to eat at VIP's(in the same parking lot). So I guess I'm personally responsible for Baja's demise now... :D

Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead in anything lesser than a Costco or Calimax. We even have a Starbucks down the street; but, I'm holding out because everyone in the "know" knows Pete's is better. :lol:
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:29 PM

When tacos are replaced by mashed potato sandwiches...then I'll be concerned. :lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 03:32 PM

Mango, :biggrin: Careful!!!:DYou don't want to be sterotyped/profiled:biggrin: A good umbrella might come in handy down your way.:biggrin:
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.