Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Border Crossing - Passports no longer needed
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 05:17 PM
Border Crossing - Passports no longer needed

OK,

All of us have been reading about the tight screening at the border crossing back to the US at SY and Otay.

I am reporting that today, at each of the crossings, two cars crossed with some friends who visited me this weekend. In both cars, multiple occupants did not have US passports in their possession and they are US citizens. All they showed only a driver's license from California. One showed a Florida ID that wasn't a driver's license. In total, only one car had one person who had a passport in their possession.

Each of the four cars' occupants chatted up the CBP agent and all were allowed to enter the US without a secondary trip.

From this experience, tell every US citizen you know that they can come to Baja without a US passport as apparently the policies that have been published for the entire 2008 year are just bull.

By the way, with the state of the economy in Baja, we were able to go to numerous shopping places and restaurants where we got great service and attention. Also, the number of competitors for tourist visitor dollars is dropping fast as the businesses are failing or are just failing to open their doors.

Anyone out there have an opinion, viewpoint or story?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Cajones
Banned

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 05:20 PM

The requirement to show a passport when entering the US from Mexico was deferred again until 6/1/2009.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cajones
The requirement to show a passport when entering the US from Mexico was deferred again until 6/1/2009.

Only ground travel was deferred ...

You still need a passport to fly in/out .

And although technically you don't need the passport for travel by sea the cruise lines have been requireing passports for some time now.

CaboRon

Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 08:35 PM

Don't even go therewith USBP and me
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 08:46 PM

I posted this on 12/12/07:

(in a nutshell, no passport required, yet...)

==============================================

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Press Release

December 3, 2007
DOS Press Office, (202) 647-2492

TRAVELERS REMINDED OF NEW DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS BEGINNING JANUARY 31, 2008
Documents Proving Citizenship and Identity Will be Required When Entering The United States Through Land and Sea Ports of Entry

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS) remind the traveling public that as of Jan. 31, 2008, all adult travelers will be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, and proof of identity, such as a driver’s license, when entering the United States through land and sea ports of entry. DHS will be issuing a notice in the Federal Register formally announcing the change.

This change is a necessary step to prepare travelers and ease the transition to the future requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). WHTI proposes to establish documentation requirements for travelers entering the United States who were previously exempt, including citizens of the U.S., Canada, and Bermuda. As recommended by the 9/11 Commission, Congress enacted WHTI in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. WHTI will result in both enhanced security and increased facilitation across the border once implemented. During this transition, DHS and the Department of State are working diligently to minimize the impact on legitimate trade and travel.

Currently, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers may accept oral declarations of citizenship from U.S. and Canadian citizens seeking entry into the United States through a land or sea border. However, as of January 31, 2008:
§ Oral declarations of citizenship alone will no longer be accepted
§ U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older will need to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
§ Children ages 18 and under will only be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate
§ Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel
All existing nonimmigrant visa and passport requirements will remain in effect and will not be altered by this change.

DOS reminds the public that the current turnaround time for a passport is four to six weeks, so Americans planning international travel may wish to apply now. For information on obtaining a U.S. Passport visit www.travel.state.gov or call 1-877-487-2778. Specific documentation requirements for land, sea and air travel may be found at www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/. To learn more about NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST, visit www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

greybaby
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 09:12 PM

Went on a cruise in January and we couldn't print our boarding passes until we entered our passport numbers.

We'll be driving across this next week and though they may not be "required" why would anyone want to get that one cranky border patrol who would send you to secondary. Have your passport ready, hand it to them and it's usually "have a good day".
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 09:50 PM
I crossed later today

I went across at Otay about 6 pm today and in the SENTRI lane I asked the agent why did my friends get through and he said it was at the discretion of the agents.

What horsech1t!!!!!!!

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
robrt8
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2008 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
I went across at Otay about 6 pm today and in the SENTRI lane I asked the agent why did my friends get through and he said it was at the discretion of the agents.

That's the same answer I've been given (5x last month) and I crossed 2x with a DL only. No secondary.
Dave
Elite Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 10-6-2008 at 09:15 AM
So what's the big deal?

Just get the friggin passport. :rolleyes:

Whether or not it's a requirement now, eventually it will.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 09:37 AM

I've crossed recently with only my CostCo card as ID (I forgot my wallet and passport... duh). Until the law requiring passports at land crossing kicks in the CBP officers continue to have complete discretion. So long as they are convinced you are a citizen (through questioning), you can be passed through without ANY identification (although not a good risk for anyone not blond haired and blue eyed). As a US citizen they are supposed to work with you, not against you.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 09:43 AM
Get The Passport

I've found that the crossings have been smoother since they started asking for the passports. Fewer questions, less delay and on my way. Before they even get the question out, I'm handing them the two passports.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 09:46 AM

Dave,

The point is that all of the folks who visited me do own passports and had them safely at home in the US.

Additionally, DK republished the notice from DHS that clearly calls for something like a DL and second document, maybe a birth certificate.

No second document was requested of any of the crossers, so the rule must be simply the discretion of the officer. This has now been confirmed by other Nomads.

If the practice of the DHS officers is to be subjective, I trust that you wouldn't object to having that information available for other Nomads who may be worried about crossing with someone who just happens NOT to have their birth certificate or passport in their possession at that moment.

Certainly, the most secure way would be to apply for one of three DHS accepted documents, SENTRI pass, Passport or Passport card. There are valid arguments as to which of these is the most practical to an individual's needs. In the absence of any of these, American citizens are crossing everyday just like they have for all of the 20th and 21st century (so far).

Therefore, the DHS has done it again - given the American public, lip service national security.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 11:51 AM
That's my point

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
If the practice of the DHS officers is to be subjective, I trust that you wouldn't object to having that information available for other Nomads who may be worried about crossing with someone who just happens NOT to have their birth certificate or passport in their possession at that moment.

It's always been subjective. Trust me...In twelve years of regular crossing I've been diddled with plenty. If they told me I needed an Albainian passport I'd get one. Just so there would be one thing less they could flock around with.

That we should tell our friends they really don't need a passport may be technically correct but perhaps disingenous. They'll get back in the States alright. But they might get a finger-wave bonus.

People, just get the friggin passport.

The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Trust me...In twelve years of regular crossing I've been diddled with plenty.

In my 40 years of crossing and 20 years of which has been semi-monthly, I have only been to secondary three times. Each time was valid and took a few minutes.

Perhaps there is a cause for your treatment?

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 07:38 PM
Passport

Like a rookie, of which I am not, on a flight to Seattle I left my passport at the Alaska Airline counter at LAX on 7/6/08. A couple of days later I realized what had happened and got nothing but double talk from Alaska Airlines who provided no assistance in helping get my passport back from the counter and the lost and found was also of no help. Anyway, I applied for a new passport and did not pay the rush fee and I received my new passport in only 9 or 10 days after giving all the paperwork, etc. at the large post office very close to LAX. The 9 or 10 days include the mailing time to my house. Very impressive turn around time.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I've found that the crossings have been smoother since they started asking for the passports.

My feeling has been the complete opposite. Stamps from Colombia, Peru, Panama, and El Salvador quickly make for a chilly reception upon returning to the USA.

greybaby
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 09:47 PM

Getting a passport for us was certainly easier than getting a Pet Passport (yes, I said Pet Passport) for my African Grey Parrot. So I agree - just get it. It's pretty painless and is good for 10 years.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2008 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I've found that the crossings have been smoother since they started asking for the passports.

My feeling has been the complete opposite. Stamps from Colombia, Peru, Panama, and El Salvador quickly make for a chilly reception upon returning to the USA.

Once again, self-imposed persecution comes to light. I have those same stamps right along some from Chile, Ecuador, Brazil, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Nicaragua, PRC & Russia. Maybe the cause is more about the person and the 'tude, than the stamps.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-7-2008 at 07:50 AM

Thank god they do have some discretion. I had a senior moment a couple months ago and left my passport at home when I made a run down to the San Pedro Martir. I was really sweating it at the garita. I told the agent what happened and he asked where I was born, didn't seem quite satisfied and asked where I was raised. He was obviously listening carefully to my accent. He cautioned me not to forget next time and waved me on. As soon as I got home I applied for the new passport card. It cost me $20 and took less than 2 weeks to arrive. Last week I rode along with a Mexican neighbor to a skeet shooting event in Sonora. Coming back across, I handed the card to the agent (my neighbor's US born son was driving, handed her his birth certificate and DL and spoke to her in Spanish). I said nothing. She stepped back into the booth for a minute then handed us our papers and waved us on. I keep the card in my wallet all the time now so as long as I don't forget THAT, I have great peace of mind. It's definitely worth the twenty bucks.

BTW, the Border Patrol does not man the ports of entry. Those are Customs agents. They are both components of ICE, which is now a division of DHS.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
2-tie-dye-4
Nomad

Mood: jonesin' for Baja

[*] posted on 10-7-2008 at 10:25 PM

I crossed at Tecate about 3 weeks ago. I showed an AZ driver's license and was asked if I had a birth cert. to go with it. I explained that I left my passport at home and didn't realize it until I was already in Mex. The agent gave me a warning and that was all. I then went to Algodones to get glasses, walked across, and I explained right away what my sitution was, I got a reprimand and was let through. In the past, my boyfriend and I have showed passports and it's taken longer because we have so many stamps. I think they check the computer more. Then we started showing only driver's license's and got through quickly and warned to get passports as of Jan 2008. As we all know, that wasn't necessary. Yes, get a passport and don't forget it on your dresser.

We\'re all here cuz we\'re not all there, mountain stranded time
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.