Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Thanksgiving trip to Gonzaga Bay
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 08:48 PM
Thanksgiving trip to Gonzaga Bay

Here are photos of our Thanksgiving at Alfonsina's and of our trip down "Highway 5" from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay.

http://gallery.me.com/wingswest#100062&bgcolor=black&...

Hope you like pictures of rain. The photos of the Tres Marias about ten miles south of Puertecitos show a memorial to Ray Grove who went over the clif in about 1977 ? at "Jim Beam Hill."

It will be a shame when this road is gone.

[Edited on 12-5-2008 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 08:51 PM

Bucko's link: Bucko's Link

Great photos... Thank you!

Was there any talk or memorial for Doug Bowles at the Thanksgiving party (was there even a party this year)?

[Edited on 12-5-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 08:54 PM

Great photos. It looks like you had a fantastic trip.
Thanks!

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 08:57 PM

Thanks for the superb photos, David!
Looks like a very relaxing time.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 08:58 PM

Looks like you had a good time even with the rain----enjoyed the photos

Diane

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2008 at 09:09 PM
Doug Bowles

David:
No..just a nice picture of him and his airplane on the wall in the cantina with his birth and lasts dates.

Very, very sad...we have known Doug for years. I am an old pilot as he was and we both knew the risks of "Get Homeitis." We were at a party in SAC when Doug crashed on San Gorgonio after taking off from PSP at 1115. We had friends who were coming to the party in a Cessna CJ5 jet who stayed on the ground because of the 60 knot winds at PSP when Doug took off. I have been in the same spot and can sympathize with the pressure from his passengers...and himself...to get home on a Sunday afternoon. Doug had flown that rout about 500 times and knew it cold. The luck of the day and the gods of flying didn't let him make it. We will miss him. He was a very, very nice man.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Bucko's link: Bucko's Link

Great photos... Thank you!

Was there any talk or memorial for Doug Bowles at the Thanksgiving party (was there even a party this year)?

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 05:54 AM

so - Bucko, just curious - he made it to Palm springs from Calexico but was turning around to go to hesperia when he got into the mtn WX?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 06:43 AM

I really enjoyed your photos. Also like your house. Got a floor plan drawing?

a Beach house.jpg - 49kB
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 08:51 AM
Floor plan

I designed that house on a wine stained napkin during a long party. I gave it to Jimmy Sullivan who built it with the help of Chui and Vaquero, two local fishermen at Papa Fernandez. It was our second house there...we helped build the one next door too. But ours was made with real fresh water cement...not salt water cement..and with resawn Mexican lumber...not smuggled Gringo Lumber. The sizes are kinda informal. But it's a great house...the wind blows through the big doors and windows on the bedroom upstairs and the verandah all around keeps it cool. It was the first house there to be insulated.

We built it in the summer of 1993. We flew down from Sacramento every weekend to help and supervise. Great fun!

Now we have solar electricity.....36 amp at 120V..and we get our juice free from God and the batteries are all charged up by noon if the sun shines.

It ain't for sale!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 08:52 AM
bucko

thanks for sharing your trip.. really brings back memories of our trip ,, nice home also,, i noticed that you have a Tacoma , it looks just like ours, white with a shell,, we just love it, we made that trip with the tacoma last year
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 08:56 AM
Re Doug Bowles stopping at PSP

Nobody knows why he went into PSP and then left there....maybe he was thinking about flying through Banning Pass in that wind and snow storm. His route, as always, would have been Gonzaga Bay to San Felipe for Mexican flight planning, then to CXL (Calexico) for US Customs and Immigration and then Hesperia where he was based.

He was in a Cherokee 6 300....a good airplane and he was very familiar with that route. He flew it pretty much every week and usually gave rides to people who wanted to get to Alfy's.

Really too bad!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 09:04 AM

He used to pick up passengers at Long Beach...? Perhaps he was heading there and why he tried to shoot through the pass... ?

When we flew out of San Felipe in '99 heading north, Doug set the GPS for Brown Field, yet I could see we were staying over Hwy. 5 (ie. heading north instead of northwest)... When I told Doug we weren't going towards San Diego, he made a quick call to Calexico customs, which at that time required 30 min. advance notice... We were about 15 minutes out, but they weren't busy and said okay.

I think Doug was pretty miffed that his GPS was not working... But, that was a long time ago! He took me right to Oceanside airport from Calexico, flying alongside Palomar Mountain... and he has flown a hundred times since!

Vaya con los angeles Doooglas!

This photo of Shell Island was taken by Baja Mur riding in Doug's plane...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 10:01 AM

Bruce,

I really enjoyed following your trip with those excellent photos.

I am impressed with you house as well. All walls shaded from the sun. A simple concept, but one not used as often as you would expect in Baja.

Sorry for the loss of your friend!

Ken

edit for getting your name wrong, sorry.

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by tripledigitken]
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 10:18 AM
Chupacabara

An asside:
Our local garbage truck...a 1967 Chevy pickup with an informal paint job and more informal maintenance....is named "CHUPACABARA" in big yellow letters on the side of the truck bed. Beautiful truck!

a Chupacabara is a blood sucking goat killer that lives in our mountains and attacks goats and also tourists in large camper shells and motor homes who try to make it through the Tres Marias alive...most don't.:lol:

Good....I have been trying to make friends with a Chupacabara for years but the only relative I have found is my neighbor who acts like one when he drinks.
Happyjack
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 04:10 PM

Doug was only recently based out of Hesperia. His daughter lived there and it was cheaper to leave his plane there. I doubt he had flown the Palm Springs to Hesperia route often. Maybe he realized that he needed more gas to make it home due to head winds, as he had a habit of offloading fuel for future trips in Gonzaga. Or maybe he was thinking of trying another route. Only he knows. Thanks for your report bucko, is your name David also, or is that the name of the poster who shortened your link?

letting my mind go where my body can't take me.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 05:03 PM
Doug Bowles and etc

Thanks for the input re Doug. I had dinner with him and a friend of his at a Halloween party down there the week before the accident and he told me that he had a house with a hangar at Hesperia.

My name is Bruce...everyone apparently thinks it's Dave because Dave (admin of this site) forwarded my original message with pictures and a lot of guys thought he was me....no big deal. My REAL name is Bonanza Bucko! :-)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 05:14 PM

The admin. of this site is DOUG (Baja Nomad) MEANS... not Dave!;D

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 08:30 PM
admin and names

David:
Sorry for the confusion but most of was not mine....several guys thanked "Dave" for the good photos because they thought you took them and I think that was because of your message which transmitted my "link" Examples are Udowinkler on 12-4 and Trippledigitken on 12-5. Your message also made me think you were admin because my "link" was redundant with the address I had in the original message.

What is your role here David?

Bucko
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 09:12 PM
Seems to be a bit of confusion ??

As I sit here looking at the IFR Enroute Low Altitude chart that I used this past week to fly to Tehachapi and back, Hesperia was under my right wing after I went thru the Banning Pass. Of course I was at 14,000 feet and the winds were only 20 kts.
It is almost a Direct flight thru the Pass to reach Hesperia from either Calexico or PSP. I fly this route several times each year and have for over 26 years and for the first 5 years I flew a Cherokee 6-300 .
It can be dangerous, and the day that Doug flew his last mission, the winds were blowing 60 + mph in Yuma.

Quote:
by David
He used to pick up passengers at Long Beach...? Perhaps he was heading there and why he tried to shoot through the pass... ?

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2008 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
I designed that house on a wine stained napkin during a long party.
We built it in the summer of 1993.
It ain't for sale!

Your house is beautiful. Our house in Punta Banda was also designed on a napkin, during a celebration shared with friends and a bottle of wine with a few cigars thrown in. It was around the same year, '93.
Ironic thing is that we paid way too much money to have another piece of property "designed" when all we should have done was take a napkin to dinner along with good company, popped a cork and called it good.

Once again, your photos were great. Thanks for sharing them.
P.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.