Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: HURRICANE RELIEF SUPPLIES
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:35 PM
HURRICANE RELIEF SUPPLIES

Posters have been making suggestions on other threads as to the needed items, other than money, in an emergency such as we have today. I've seen Tarps, building materials [vague], insect repellent and TP just to name a few.

Let's compile a list of what you think to be most needed. This will be suggestions for today and, just as important, a guidline for commodities to be stockpiled in strategic locations for the future.

Maybe a generator or a propane light.....a pair of shoes....

Thanks.

[Edited on 9-6-2009 by DENNIS]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 01:58 PM

Money talks! There was no bank before "John". Now I worry the new bank in Mulege is/was submerged.

Hide your cash or carry it on you secreted.

Money will help you get a crew started cleaning your place, if any of us still has a place that is.

Bring a lot of cash or be sure there is a ATM operating.

-----------------------

Clean-up:

Shovels and wheelbarrows
Squeegies and detergents, bleach, soap
Towels and rags
Large sturdy trash bags.
Spray tank(pump-up) 100' & 50 ft quality garden hose, attachments or pressure washer(preferred)
Trash barrel(s)
Tools, lots of em. Prybars, chainsaws, gas&oil & extra gas cans.
100' x2 extension cords
Wet Dry vacuum and hoses.

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 02:07 PM

I think roofing material would be high on the list, people want to have a roof over their head to start feeling "normal". Specially when they have kids.

I am already getting together a group of friends here in La Paz to buy material to put a roof back on several homes, when the Insurgentes-Zaragoza area opens.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:50 PM

Construction material that will make a difference in significant amounts will not be brought down by folks with pick-ups. I'm thinking that a corporate entity like the dreaded Home Depot should be reached out to.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Construction material that will make a difference in significant amounts will not be brought down by folks with pick-ups. I'm thinking that a corporate entity like the dreaded Home Depot should be reached out to.

They wont listen. It's our grass-roots effort that will work. Nothing else.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:06 PM

Awwww...Comon you guys. Consider your life blown away by a 'cane and tell me what you need to put it back together. Think of your kids.

I think those who would give this a good response are busy putting it all back together.

Sorry for the bad timing. I'll ask later.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:10 PM
BBP relief announcement

The damage reports are still coming in and the damage appears to be worse then previously reported. In mid-Baja, Mex highway 1 has considerable damage and many bridges are destroyed. Transportation by land at this point is impossible. Critical supplies, at this point, must be brought in by air. There is great need for food, water, and clothing.

Mexico has been good to us and it is time for us to return the favor. We will be looking for volunteers to put together a relief effort for this disaster.
Needed are:
--Those that can put together relief supplies and stock them at an airports in the US for pickup. These items could be cloths, bedding, cooking utilities, medical supplies, etc. We will coordinate where these supplies will be stocked.
--Those that can pick up these items and transport them by air to a distribution point in Baja by air. Some costs may be covered by donations provided below.
--Those that wish to donate money to cover some of the costs of transportation. Please email or call in your donation if by credit card, mail your donation to the office if by check.
--Those that can spend a week or more working with the BBP and the Mexican Red Cross transporting Red Cross food supplies. Some fuel will be provided and landing and parking fees will be waived, certain conditions apply. Please call for more information. We will need four or five helicopters and three or four fixed wing aircraft with large carrying capacity. (The BBP will make the determination as to which aircraft will be involved flying Red Cross supplies over an extended period of time)
Everyone that coordinates relief supplies, donates money, and/or flies in this effort will get a certificate of thanks from the Mexican Red Cross.
If you can provide and/or do any of the above, please email the following info to:
Jack@bajabushpilots.com
Your name, your address, your email address, and your cell phone number
And if flying:
The N Number of the aircraft, the make and model, where the aircraft is based
And
What you can provide:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:16 PM

OK Mike...You have a good point of departure but, where are you going to unload all this stuff and where does it go from there?
Just a question.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:20 PM

Great idea Dennis.

Sundries - Mouthwash especially. Baby wipes.
Plastic Gloves
Water shoes (cant think of what they are called technically!)
Canned foods - Spam, Vienna Sausages, Mixed veggies/fruit
Tshirts, shorts - Male/Female/Unisex
Long Sleeve and Short
Matches
Plastic Baggies all sizes
First Aid items - Bandaids, Neosporin
Hammer/Wrench/Screwdriver
Stock Pots
Can Openers

Peace ....

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:29 PM

Oso ----- where are you? a couple years ago we worked together when a freak flash flood devastated a village .. I am at a loss to the name of the city there .. AZ/MX border San Luis something ....

Home Depot was wonderful in assisting us with the coordination. We purchased nails, hammers, plywood, roofing material, tarps, & some other items with our commercial account and authorized the pick up 'there' ..

With HD now having locations in Baja maybe things will be better ..

This tragedy is one fine example where the far reaching effects of the internet will be for the good ..

Edit for Home Depot - nee Home DepoSIT .. too much on my mind ... L

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by CaboMagic]

jannyk

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:30 PM

>>...--Those that wish to donate money to cover some of the costs of transportation. Please email or call in your donation if by credit card, mail your donation to the office if by check. ...<<

Mike!

Call where to donate? Mail $$ to where?

More Info Please....?

Jan & Max
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:32 PM

Dennis- I was specifically referring to the massive need for construction materials. And I stand by my post that something more than a well intentioned group of pick up owners is not the answer. I totally agree that the stuff mentioned in the Cabomagic post are essential. But that still doesn't get the town rebuilt. If you truly believe that only grassroots efforts will work, and maybe the corporate world and the government have failed in the past, I will reference a prior post on this forum that specifically mentions lessons learned by both of those entities. Geez. I in no way want to look like I'm diminishing people's grassroots efforts. No way. But, just consider the world today and how corporate interests, in particular, use tragedies such as this one, to burnish their community bone fides.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:32 PM

I sent an email to HD a few minutes ago requesting coporate support. Maybe something will come of it.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Great idea Dennis.

Thanks Lori......Glad you mentioned Spam.

I'll be getting ahold of you later with our plan to develop the Baja California Hurricane Relief Network. A plan to have what's needed already in country rather than asking for it after the damage is done.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
But that still doesn't get the town rebuilt.

I never referenced a town rebuilding effort. Only an effort that will put a cover over a family's head and a private place to take a leak.
BajaBad
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:44 PM
Can Donate Small Amount to Help H. Jimena victims - Where to Donate?

We are low-income so canīt do much, but could pass on $50 to help purchase plastic tarps or sheeting - I read that the poor communities such as San Carlos have little to no housing at the moment - a few other $50 donations and thatīs a little more plastic...

If someone is making purchases to bring to H. Jimena victims please email or U2U - must have PayPal account, only way I could donate. We had help given when we went through H. John, time to give a little back.
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 04:51 PM
Is it reasonable to......

Just wondering....sometimes folks think there contributions don't go to where they would like.

What about "adopting" a family, street, block, etc.

Just thinking out loud. What if me & a bunch of friends just wanted to make sure we made a difference. Not like a big pot, but something that we could SEE.

What ya think???????????
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:16 PM

Blessings to you for thinking of others ...

Keep an eye on the NEWS board as several are in various stages of coordination for accepting donations. Want to ensure the path for getting it to those who are able to assume responsibility for dinero allocation are in the position to do so ..

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:23 PM

Add things to eat/drink with .. the kind that can be re-used rather than paper
Gallon jugs of Water - there are 2-1/2 gallon jugs also that I think Arrowhead - maybe its Costo too ..
Dog & Cat Food
Collars & Leashes
Pet Kennels - Target sells some that are collapsible
Benadryl/Calamine
Bug Spray
Ropes
Hurricane (Larger) Candles

Dennis looking forward to seeing more of your ideas ...

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by CaboMagic]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Dennis looking forward to seeing more of your ideas ...

And you will, when the mud settles. Thanks
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.