BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: FMTs being phased out, Mexico getting serious about FM-3s.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 09:24 AM
FMTs being phased out, Mexico getting serious about FM-3s.

OK, I chose not to put this in the News section as it is second hand information and it is verbal. But the source is the head of the INM office in Guaymas.

Mexico is supposed to be very close (supply your own definition of close) to doing away with the FMT in favor of something that will be called an FMM. It will be a plastic card, with magnetic personal info, THAT YOU WILL TURN IN EACH TIME YOU LEAVE THE COUNTRY. What we are hearing from multiple sources is that YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO STAY IN MEXICO MORE THAN 180 DAYS ON A TOURIST TYPE VISA. The plastic card info will be entered into the computer upon issue and departure and you will receive a credit if you didn't use up your 180 days. After you use up the 180 days, YOU ARE DONE IN MEXICO. There will be no immediate renewal.

The INM official also said that Mexico is going to begin treating individuals w/o proper papers much more harshly; immediate deportation.

Stop me if this sounds like any other countries you've heard of.

They are also looking much more closely at persons working w/o an FM2-3 Lucrativo AS WELL AS PERSONS WHO HIRE INDIVIDUALS WITHOUT LUCRATIVO STATUS. Immediate deportation in these cases as well, supposedly.

Naturally some conspiracy theorists are blaming this on 1-Obama, 2-the Council on Foreign Relations, or 3-the international bankers bent on ruthless domination over all. But the more logical reason is that there are many foreign residents of Mexico who violate the intent of the FMT and should actually have an FM3.

Your reporter must admit falling into this latter category.........:rolleyes:

The difference to Mexico's coffers is about 100.00US per person; even more for an FM3 Lucrativo.

That's the word via the cactus telegraph.

Now let the skepticism begin!!!!!!!!:smug:

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by Hook]

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 09:41 AM

Don't know if it's true, but sounds like it is aimed at getting rid of all the Gringo riffraff. The people who cannot even show the minimum monthly income to qualify for an FM-3. I don't think it would work in Baja, due to the 3-day rule for tourists between the border and Ensenada, but it could help much on the mainland and Baja California Sur.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 09:47 AM

My gut feeling is that its all about........................MONEY.

Calderon is trying to pull in more dinero for the govt. as Mexico's dependency on oil revenues continues to hurt.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:22 AM

Where exactly do they expect us to turn these things in as we leave Mexico? Will there be a drop box at the border to toss them in with all our personal; info on the mag strip? Do we have to double back after we cross in an endless loop? What a nightmare for the tourists who only take a couple of 5-10 day trips to Mexico per year.

Why the heck should there even be a “Tourist Card”?
In a “Free World” a Passport should suffice to temporarily go to any country where a passport is accepted.

Passport charge $100 good for TEN years and is renewable
Mexico Tourist Card $100 for 180 days, can’t be renewed.....:rolleyes:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:25 AM

Sounds like more reasons for potential Baja vacationers to not go to Baja... more bad news for the people of Baja!

I hope they understand if they want the card scanned or turned in upon leaving Mexico, they will need a drive up booth on the exit lanes at the border.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:27 AM

Probably wouldn't turn them in, Taco, the card would be kept and swiped upon entry and exit with days deducted that one is in Mexico until the 180 is used up. Like a subway fare card.

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by oldlady]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:31 AM

The point is for us who drive, how does the card get swiped upon leaving Mexico, if there is no booth along the road/ lanes before entering the U.S.

No way can everyone wiggle near the Mexico entry border, find parking, walk to the INM office, then go back and get into the exit line... I am picturing Tijuana, but Otay, Tecate or Mexicali would be similar nightmares in logistics.

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldlady
Probably wouldn't turn them in, Taco, the card would be kept and swiped upon entry and exit with days deducted that one is in Mexico until the 180 is used up. Like a subway fare card.

If you think the border wait (coming and going) is long now...Just wait until they install the card readers at the entry and exit points.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The point is for us who drive, how does the card get swiped upon leaving Mexico, if there is no booth along the road/ lanes before entering the U.S.

Simple. Mexico controls the lanes leading up to the border. Magnetic readers could be placed anywhere along this route. Additionally, the U.S. is also very interested in which of its citizens travel to and from Mexico ;) so I could envision a partnership whereby cards could be swiped at the inspection booths.

Don't laugh. Mexico and the U.S. are already partnering in sharing of financial and criminal data. It can, and probably will happen.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:48 AM

Exactly Dave... my point is there is no system in place now and they would need to build it. So, first they pick on innocent pilots (like 'steekers' reported here) to harass... Now, it will be us in cars... Isn't big government fun? :rolleyes:

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

If you think the border wait (coming and going) is long now...Just wait until they install the card readers at the entry and exit points.

It would probably be along the lines of a 'toll/pike' pass. Delay would be minimum, if any.

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 10:59 AM

Wow...such pessimists. Swiping a card takes 2 seconds. The DC metro runs on them, thousands of people swiping and rarely slowing their walking/trotting pace. My guess would be they would phase it in..logically to start with airports. Yes, the auto traffic on the border zones is a different cat, I suppose if everyone quit trying to smuggle people and stuff it might speed things up there.
surebought
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 11:10 AM

I was 15 years dependant on Mexican Immigration. Every year the renewals. I don't think much has changed since then. This is a section of the Interior Ministry that has very little budget. They don't go out and look for people. They don't have the recourses. You have to nearly be a serial killer with a lot of local denuncias for them to get all worked up about you. Everything is a lot of paper work for them. They would rather just stand around. I was in the office once and a looked at a the file cabinet. One of the paper tags indicated "Expulsions." I asked if could look in those files while I was waiting. Sure go ahead, we are going to be a while with your stuff. These were some pretty rough looking hombres in those files. Not at like a American Retirees.

In a while the smile on my face turned to plaster.
Stick around while the clown who is sick, does the trick of disaster. Neil Young from Mr Soul.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Wow...such pessimists. Swiping a card takes 2 seconds. The DC metro runs on them, thousands of people swiping and rarely slowing their walking/trotting pace. My guess would be they would phase it in..logically to start with airports. Yes, the auto traffic on the border zones is a different cat, I suppose if everyone quit trying to smuggle people and stuff it might speed things up there.

Looks like E.T. is back....
Getting the card might take a bit longer than getting an FMT; everything would have to be entered via a keyboard and what would the guy do with his stamp? But maybe then you could pay a the same place with a credit card and not have to go to a bank. You know, I say this only half-joking, they should let a handful of Nomads design the system - we could make it work.
Hook: you forgot the tri-lateral commission.

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:

Getting the card might take a bit longer than getting an FMT; everything would have to be entered via a keyboard and what would the guy do with his stamp? But maybe then you could pay a the same place with a credit card and not have to go to a bank. You know, I say this only half-joking, they should let a handful of Nomads design the system - we could make it work.

I have NEVER seen a touch typist at immigration, only hunt and peck :lol:

Haven't you wondered why it takes a week to renew :lol:

oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago

Au contraire, mon ami. Trying to be optimistic. I absolutely agree with you. Lots of technology gurus here with more modern skills than mine that can figure out how to solve all the gitches in order to reach the goal. In a nanosec.
Getting the card would probably take a bit longer...the first time.

I was at Immigration last week for my annual renewal. They had a spiffy new brochure of many many pages on their regulations. I didn't read it all, spent a moment while waiting and read the TOC and a couple of sections. My sense was that it was focused on immigrants from Central America (Nic. And Gauat.) with nothing specificly directed at
immigrants from US and Can. It may be premature to get our feathers in a fluff.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 12:58 PM

That will go over like a fart in church. Not very well!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 01:06 PM

On one hand, the process as described would bring Mexico into the present century as far as having some ability to track foreigners. And unless and until the US eases its immigration process, there's probably no going back. It disturbs me that more than a couple dozen countries of the EU allow free passage throughout without a visa. And they speak myriad different languages. On this side of the pond, Canada, US and Mexico jst seem to keep making the process more complicated.

Since specific details have not yet been shared, I do wonder about the FM-T alternate as to the 180 days, and just how long there might be of a wait in between being eligible for your next entry. It could, theoretically wreak havoc on frequent tourists, which, in turn would impact the economy in the negative.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Where exactly do they expect us to turn these things in as we leave Mexico? Will there be a drop box at the border to toss them in with all our personal; info on the mag strip? Do we have to double back after we cross in an endless loop? What a nightmare for the tourists who only take a couple of 5-10 day trips to Mexico per year.

Why the heck should there even be a “Tourist Card”?
In a “Free World” a Passport should suffice to temporarily go to any country where a passport is accepted.

Passport charge $100 good for TEN years and is renewable
Mexico Tourist Card $100 for 180 days, can’t be renewed.....:rolleyes:

Taco
SHould the same rules aply to al countries including the good old US of A??
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 01:20 PM

OK, all you guys that feel picked on. What rules should be applied...

that would be applied to all countries equally?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.