BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 04:35 PM

Easy to do, especially if I can pull it off!:biggrin:
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 06:56 PM
2,910 and counting.......Thanks LK, JL,and S and MA (donating 2x, you don't have to do that ; ).

Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 7-22-2010 at 08:20 PM

Maxx.you be da man

Good on you for taking this on, no question in my mind a very worthy cause.

Feeling pretty confident that you will get there, but don't stop now Nomads. Send in 5 or 10 bucks if thats all you can afford. Like Shari said, does not matter how much you send, just send!

Will be fun to follow this gals progress over the coming years. She will exceed our expectations.:bounce:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 07:35 AM

wooo hooo, we're gonna hit 3Grand by the weekend I bet!!!
I forgot to mention that donations come with a discount on Nomad labotomies with Emilia!!! (oh oh...people will dontate under other nomad's names for this):saint:

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 10:23 AM
OK..Time for the big guns.....Free coffee cup or tote bag

Just kidding. This isn't a public radio fundraiser, but I will offer anybody who Paypals a $100 for Emy, or more, a night in my rental Casa in Mulege.

It's pretty nice and you can use it, on a space available basis, if you are motoring North to South, have friends stopping in Mulege, or just want to get sloppy at a sunset party thrown at El Patron and not drive home.

I don't have any coffee cups with Emy's logo, but operator's are standing by.

[Edited on 12-27-2013 by akmaxx]

View from the Chuparosa at 0600.jpg - 43kB
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 12:43 PM

Just donated $50 via PayPal.

Go Emy!

[Edited on 7-23-2010 by BajaGeoff]

Sharrone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 01:03 PM

Just sent $50.00. Good luck Emilia.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 01:28 PM

I recieved an e-mail from Emilia this morning. She is a nice, well spoken young lady. A little amazed by the big hearts here on BN. :wow: This is an act of kindness that will have an incredible effect on her, and everyone in her life, for the rest of her life!:biggrin:
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 03:27 PM

Nuther C-note in the pot.

That email address for PayPal donations again is: aswmiso@yahoo.com

For sending PayPal money for this type of use, you can avoid the charge by inserting the donation amount, clicking "Personal" and check "Gift." This will allow Maxx to send your full donation amount to Emilia's account w/out having to pay PayPal for the privilege of funneling the cash.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Sharrone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 05:47 PM

Just got a thank you note from Emilia, what a sweet girl. She will do well I have no doubt.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 07:43 PM
3,110 and counting.....Can it be done before the 30th...I bet it can

Thank you RK, GH, SE, MK, and JL.

Emy is beside herself with the thoughts of the big city and the right school.

I'll keep updating when I get away from that pesky thing called work.
stevelaubly
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 08:13 PM

What is the deadline?

s
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevelaubly
What is the deadline?

Uhhh... the 30th? :)
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 09:12 PM

I'd say a done deal before Monday! More than 3/4 of the way there. GO NOMADS! GO EMILIA!!:bounce::biggrin:
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 07:32 AM

wow...that was easy! thanks for giving me the opportunity to help Emy and to learn how to use my paypal account. also thanks EngineerMike for the info.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 08:48 AM

Another $100, Good Luck Emilia.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 10:47 AM
Another short story and example to persuade you to donate a little to the cause

Emilia is also an accomplished sailor, regularly taking her small sailboat out around the Sea of Cortez.

One day Emy came to me with a small problem. "Maxx, my lead keel has fallen off and I can't go sailing" or words to that effect. I wondered what I could do about it and asked where she had lost it. "Oh, I think it is in the river by the dock, near the lighthouse."

"Fair enough" says I and went to fetch my snorkel and fins (anything to help a damsel in distress). While I muddled around in the mud of the Rio Santa Rosalia in Mulege, searching for the 150 pd keel, I cut my leg on some steel that had been tossed down river by one of the many floods. I didn't think too much of it that day, as I was more focused on retrieving the keel, but came to think about it a lot when the swelling started.

My calf blew up by half and my knee started to resemble one of those really tasty grape-fruits grown by the Valle family. I was a little worried and asked Emy to walk me through the process at the hospital. She zipped me in and out in minutes and I wasn't too worried until I saw her picking up the medicine. Are you familiar with intra-muscular needles? I wasn't and definitely was not looking forward to a 4 inch needle sticking me everyday for a week.

Emy took it all in stride (at seventeen!) and appeared at my house the same time each day to bury the spike in my cheek. Though I was uncomfortable, she made me laugh and told me how injections were old-hat to her but she appreciated the practice. A doctor that can make you laugh and is easy on the eyes is a precious commodity.

In the end (ha-ha) the swelling in my leg went down and now I have an interesting scar that reminds me of la doctora every time I look at it.

Remember the time you helped the kid from Mulege get to medical school by sending a little cash? I thought so.

Good on all of you for your good deeds.

Peace.

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by akmaxx]

Big needles for me and Emy.JPG - 34kB
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 10:59 AM

I am in Washington at river float party with my friends from Baja, I told them about Emilia.
Thank you
Wendy $50.00
Cindy $50.00
Diane $50.00

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 02:22 PM

Emilia came to see me last April about a scholarship from the Mulege Student Scholarship Program. I have been pitched by many students, parents, and grandparents over the years EngineerAnnie and I have been running the Program. Emilia's presentation was, by a good long stretch, the finest I have received from anyone of any age.

I told her at the time that although our program is specifically chartered to arrange scholarships for students in and around Mulege, that our current crop of sponsors didn't have the wherewithal to add her, as all the money (and then some for the last couple of years of poor economy) we have is committed to existing students with extreme economic need. However, if we could find sponsors who specifically "heard the call" so to speak to assist a budding physician, that we could certainly be the conduit for that. There were some visiting Rotarians staying a few houses away, comprising representatives from 3 separate Rotary clubs from California (fishing was involved); I suggested she repeat her performance for them. Off Emilia trotted and did just that.

In the last week, I have heard from those individuals (not their respective clubs per se), and from the Mulege Rotary. They have stated a desire to assist Emilia to some level. Rotarians of course, are well known around the world for medical projects, including effectively eradicating polio from the world. Since Emy's financial requirements exceed by many times the ordinary level of funding needed to help a family stretch to meet university costs, this will be a different sort of project for us, and for any of these individuals who make the commitment to provide regular, ongoing funding.

On the strength of those expressions of interest, I visited Emy yesterday, and extend my continuing apologies for disturbing a much needed siesta in progress. We discussed her budget, which includes the extremely high costs of medical school tuition (a combination of subscripcion and mensualidad), and other necessary costs of living away from home and going to school.

This is a project that will take many hands to make it work. My vote of confidence is noted above, with my personal money where my mouth is. I hope that the confidence of various Rotarians, persons experienced in assessing not just need in a charitable venture but importantly its viability (i.e. will this idea succeed?), will embolden more readers to lend a hand in this worthwhile goal. Emy is an exceptional young woman. I believe she will first go the distance, and second spend a lifetime giving back in a world where much giving back is needed.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2010 at 03:11 PM

From akmaxx's first post, I had a feeling this was a special person. Thank you EngineerMike for sharing this information with all of us. I think Emilia will need a little more help, now, and down the road. :light:
I believe the first step is her general doctor degree. Then the learning and earning of her specialty at a teaching hospital, or further university time. :O
Our choice of La Paz as a new home was partly made because of the university and teaching hospitals there, so my wife can begin work on her specialty.
I propose an annual event to help Emilia. I am enthusiastic when it comes to helping people that are willing to go the distance, do the work, and know there is no instant gratification.
Monday I will double my initial assistance, and commit to the same, every year for 5 years.
The forming of a website for friends and benefactors of Emilia would be a great way to stay in touch with how she is doing! Baja, Mexico, and the world need more young people like Emilia!
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.