BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: WORST STORM IN US HISTORY - MOSTLY UNREPORTED & TONGUE IN CHEEK
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 11:37 AM
WORST STORM IN US HISTORY - MOSTLY UNREPORTED & TONGUE IN CHEEK

One of the worst winter storms in recorded history is now predictated to affect 100 million people in the USA.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/01/usa-weather-idUSN0...

How many nomads are affected by this?

Can anyone of you in the storm's path report in and keep us up to date at it progresses?

[Edited on 2-11-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
One of the worst winter storms in recorded history is now predictated to affect 100 million people in the USA.

anthropogenic climate change affects us all
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 12:07 PM

Quote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/01/usa-weather-idUSN0...

Can anyone of you in the storm's path report in and keep us up to date at it progresses?

(Damn twichy finger.)

Well, this one's affected. 16 of us are assembling in Sandy Eggo on Thursday (Cheswick's anybody?). Some of the guys are slogging across the country (just about across by now) while their long-suffering wives are slaving away this week to pay the bills. Said wives are flying in over the next coupla days. Or so they thought. Some have been rescheduled from today or tomorrow to late Thursday night. Just *barely* ok, as we roll across the border on Fri morning with a schedule that's (as previously mentioned) wound just a tad tight).

I think there's a whole bunch of us who are going to welcome:
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Ensenada+Mexico+MXBC000...

CSL, here we come!

Barbarosa
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for that, Barbarosa.

Storms of any kind have always excited me...extremely enough that I sometimes seek them out.

I was born in a frozen ND winter and although I cannnot remember that exact date...:rolleyes:...

...as a child I do vividly remember one of my Dad's friends who was found frozen stiff as a board...sitting with his back to a corral fence, right arm extended and reaching to the sky..pretty macabre, right? Many years later, Dad would explain to listeners that his buddy was reaching for that last whisky. His yarn probably explains why Mom went to church alone.

This storm:

People who live outside the northern tier have no idea of the suddeness and fierocity of a major blizzard up north. You have seen nothing like a full-blown prairie blizzard in central Canada or the upper Midwest USA. Truly killers.

Right now, dust storms are covinging over 1/2 of the lower USA. Remind you of anything?

9 states are now under a blizzard warning. I hope folks are taking this seriously.

Let's all hope it blows right on by...literally.

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by Pompano]

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 01:34 PM

Quote:

WORST STORM IN US HISTORY - COMING??
Still a bit early for this prediction, but it sounds like it won't be fun. Kind of like those other anthropogenic climate change caused winter storms in 1933, 1922, 1913, 1899, 1888.... Just glad I'm 'here' and not 'there'.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 03:14 PM

Rain, freezing rain, sleet, thunder sleet, ice pellets, snow, 50mph gusts, and wind chill below zero here in Fort Worth...schools closed, no work for me today, just walked down to our friends house and had a little party, yahoo!
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

It's just as accurate, and crazy, to base weather/climate prediction on the AGW crowd as it is to put your faith in the Punxsutawney Phil forecast. Sometimes Phil is right and sometimes he's not.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

It's just as accurate, and crazy, to base weather/climate prediction on the AGW crowd as it is to put your faith in the Punxsutawney Phil forecast. Sometimes Phil is right and sometimes he's not.

The groundhog never cherry picked data to back up his forecast. The AGW crowd actually hid data that didn't fit their theory. :biggrin:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

wow.gif posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:02 PM
if teabaggers ran national weather service...

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

is that why teabagger's in their zeal to eliminate govt spending that conflicts with their ideology are proposing to eliminate the NOAA NWS and replacing it by outsourcing weather forecasting to city of punxsatawney dept of public works, farmers almanac, inc. and center for creation studies?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:04 PM

Just got done with a Monday full of below freezing, 30,000 ft plus hail dropping thunder snow producing weather. Today as the first low pressure center moves through into the San Juans of the southern Rockies we are left in wake with temps in the single digits expected tonight. Baja beaches here we come! :biggrin:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:12 PM

Cypress, mtgoat666..take it someplace else, por favor.

Weather is more important than ranting about politics.

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:12 PM

You can take away my MTV but you will have to pry my NOAA/National Weather Service from my cold dead hands.
Yours eternally,
Pilot/Sailor/Surfer/farmer
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:17 PM

Pompano. Yes sir. :biggrin:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Cypress, mtgoat666..take it someplace else, por favor.

Weather is more important than ranting about politics.

Pomp, I was just putting the finishing touches on a similar (but much longer and far less eloquent) thought when you posted. THANK YOU! Nuff said.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:39 PM
Weather reports

As of Tuesday morning, 2-1-2011

From Loveland, Ohio (n/e of Cincinnati):

Well it is much ado about nothing so far. We had lots of rain but luckily not much ice this morning...at least not around us. The school districts around us are out today. The roads seemed fine. We are supposed to get more rain ice and snow today and tomorrow.

From Hendersonville, TN (n/e of Nashville):

Scattred light rain, VERY windy. Heavier rain expected later today and thunderstorms tonight.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 04:44 PM

I heard on the local (San Diego) radio that tomorrow 'super strong' Santa Ana winds of 65 mph is predicted for the foot hills and mountain passes... But sunny and dry... today is beautiful as well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 05:04 PM
This map might help

:saint:

FUNNY-WEATHER-MAP.jpg - 50kB

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 06:23 PM

my buddy in chicago, after reading my latest trip report stated, "you guys have all the fun!":light:

i replied, "whaddaya mean? i hear you're expecting 60mph winds and 2 feet of snow!!!! what's not fun about that?":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

his response was short. "the wind and snow.":light:

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 07:19 PM

Denver......Saturday 60 degrees, this morning goig to work at 5 am, -13. 3 pm on the way home -5. Coldest day in 10 years, luckily only a dusting (maybe 1") of snow.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 08:12 PM

Wheat Ridge Colorado. 8pm minus 11!!(minus 28 wind chill) Not a lot of snow- about 4 inches yesterday and last night. Warms up tomorrow with high's projected to be 8 above. Have the motorhome covered and winterized but this morning I decided to put an electric heater inside to keep above freezing. When the electric step wouldn't extend checked the engine battery and found it frozen solid!! Our normal temps for this time of year are highs in the low 40's with lows in the high teens so this is really cold!!!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.