Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: you guys from lake taco NV area -
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 02:47 PM
you guys from lake taco NV area -

anyone been to the basque restaurant close to town?
i wanted to get an idea of their lamb.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 02:59 PM

Lake Taco?? About 40 years ago I went to a Basque restaurant while a student at the University in Reno and it was good then!

bacquito
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Lake Taco?? About 40 years ago I went to a Basque restaurant while a student at the University in Reno and it was good then!

Mike,
So....I guess the lamb is good....as long as it isn't 40 years old....:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 04:23 PM

Having spent considerable time in the Tahoe area, I must admit that I haven't encountered a Basque restaurant in the area.

That said, my experience has been that the motherlode of Basque restaurants can be found in the California central valley from Bakersfield North, with the center of gravity in and around Fresno.

Funny thing is that for lamb afficionados, if you can find a Middle Eastern neighborhood, you will find nirvana.

As I recall, growing up in the 50s and 60s in the New York area, lamb was much more widely available than it is today. Just makes me wonder if the beef cartel purposely did in the lamb purveyors.

My recent experience is that lamb can be found on menus at a number of high end restaurants, as opposed to someone oing to Applebees or Chilis. Yet, lamb is not to be confused with Kobe Beef as far as being rare and pricey.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 05:19 PM
Basque Lamb

Mike........it is in Gardnerville (just over the hill from S Lake Tahoe). The JT Bar and Dining room. Outstanding Basque food and excellent lamb!!!!

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/jt.htm

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by bajaguy]

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 05:45 PM

Mike...

Don't know if it's still in business or the same...but way back a long time ago...we ate a couple of times at the restaurant atop the ski slopes at Heavenly Valley. The food was amazing...Basque family style dining with very large steaks and portions!!

You rode the tram up and it was included in the meal price. The best time to plan on being there was around sunset. The views of the lake and the sunset were absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!

Miguelamo :yes: :yes::bounce: :spingrin:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Mike........it is in Gardnerville (just over the hill from S Lake Tahoe). The JT Bar and Dining room. Outstanding Basque food and excellent lamb!!!!

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/jt.htm

Also, just across the street is the Overland Hotel, another Basque restaurant. Mike, at least go into this place for a drink of picon punch. The food is good too, probably a step down from JT's though. If you have the lamb at either place order the lamb roast over the chops, it is usually a better choice, IMO.

Ken
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 05:51 PM

Skyking, both of my mothers drowned in Lake Tahoe. One of them just a year before I was born so your Mexi-trash talk is offensive to me and my family. I have your E address at home and if you don't apologize I'll send it to them and they'll tell you how they feel about your insensitivity.

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by Osprey]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Also, just across the street is the Overland Hotel, another Basque restaurant. Mike, at least go into this place for a drink of picon punch. The food is good too, probably a step down from JT's though. If you have the lamb at either place order the lamb roast over the chops, it is usually a better choice, IMO.

Ken

Ken..............the Overland is SEVERAL steps below the JT. I have been developing my Basque dining review skills since 1974 and I must say the JT is the best in western Nevada!!!!

I wouldn't take visitors to any other Basque Dining Room in the Tahoe/Reno/Carson City area.

The other "bests in Nevada" are the Martin Hotel in Winnemucca and the Star in Elko.

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ken

I live in Gardneville and I will agree the JT is very good but there is also the Country Club which is a little south of town its always good. Basque as well as other favorites. From South Lake Tahoe to downtown "G-Ville" is only 30-40 minutes, worth the drive.

Ken..............the Overland is SEVERAL steps below the JT. I have been developing my Basque dining review skills since 1974 and I must say the JT is the best in western Nevada!!!!

I wouldn't take visitors to any other Basque Dining Room in the Tahoe/Reno/Carson City area.

The other "bests in Nevada" are the Martin Hotel in Winnemucca and the star in Elko.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafreaks
I live in Gardneville and I will agree the JT is very good but there is also the Country Club which is a little south of town its always good. Basque as well as other favorites. From South Lake Tahoe to downtown "G-Ville" is only 30-40 minutes, worth the drive.

Freaks.......we will have to get together at the JT one evening for dinner!!!!!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2011 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ken

The other "bests in Nevada" are the Martin Hotel in Winnemucca and the Star in Elko.

We both agree on JT being the first choice. I have fond memories of the Overland Hotel as it was the first Basque restaurant I ever went to with my Dad back in the early 1970's. Back then the steaks came out piled up on a platter, all you can eat!

Ken
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 06:24 AM

thx ! yes - that's the one on roadamerica.com
so we're going there.
and Ken i'll hit that bar too.

osprey - WTF?? have your meds expired maybe? up the lorazepam a little.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
so we're going there.

I first went there in October of 1974 and have been going back on at least a monthly basis...........

Mike, ask them to show you how to stick a dollar bill on the ceiling.........and don't forget to try (only one) a Picon Punch.

If Marie (one of the owners) is there, tell her Terry sent you!!!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:15 AM

One of the most enjoyable lunches one can have ... IMHO (prefer French basque) style, however ... never had any trouble with the Spanish basque that I can remember ...

Great cooking .... thanks for the memory...

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
One of the most enjoyable lunches one can have ... IMHO (prefer French basque) style, however ... never had any trouble with the Spanish basque that I can remember ...

Great cooking .... thanks for the memory...

The JT is French Basque....next time we go, I'll do a food report with photos........

Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
so we're going there.

I first went there in October of 1974 and have been going back on at least a monthly basis...........

Mike, ask them to show you how to stick a dollar bill on the ceiling.........

I presume it involves a silver dollar.

If this turns into an event, I might be interested in goin' over the hill.

Barbarosa
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
picon punch. Ken

http://www.c-cktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=17

Jeeeezo...I can't believe they still make this stuff. In my fifteen years behind the bar, we were never without a bottle of it buried on the back-bar gathering dust. Never once had a request for it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa
I presume it involves a silver dollar.

And a thumbtack.....among other things...........

Maybe one of these Friday or Saturday nights we can do a Nomads dinner at the JT.......

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
picon punch. Ken

http://www.c-cktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=17

Jeeeezo...I can't believe they still make this stuff. In my fifteen years behind the bar, we were never without a bottle of it buried on the back-bar gathering dust. Never once had a request for it.

Dennis.........it is a signature drink of the Basques

Good, but deadly.....my "personal best" when I was much younger was 6 at one sitting......now I limit myself to one!!!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.