Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Thanksgiving at Las Tres Virgenes
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2011 at 11:04 PM
Thanksgiving at Las Tres Virgenes

Its almost time!! La Paz best Thanksgiving dinner 6yrs in a row at 3 Virgenes.

MENU

Spinach salad/gorgonzola/caramelized walnuts/strawberries and pears

Tres Virgenes famous stuffed turkey/mashed potatoes/real gravy/cranberry sauce

Spiced pumpkin pie/mascarpone

PRICE: $350.00 pesos per person

(reserve in advance and get a glass of wine for free)

Tel: 612-123-2226
lastresvirgenes@email.com
http://www.lastresvirgenes.com

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 09:50 AM

Fantastico!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 04:36 PM

Absolutely not wishing to diminish the fact that Jesse's restaurant is perhaps the best in all of BCS, I have to admit that the Thanksgiving menu did give me pause, simply because Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Mexico.

Pandering to the gringo and ex-pat crowd? :?:
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Absolutely not wishing to diminish the fact that Jesse's restaurant is perhaps the best in all of BCS, I have to admit that the Thanksgiving menu did give me pause, simply because Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Mexico.

... and not really a "restaurant holiday" stateside. It's about preparing and sharing food with the extended family at home. That being said- many people just don't know how to roast a turkey properly these days I suppose...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 04:46 PM

Quote:

Día de Gracias has been co-opted by many in Mexico. After all....it's good food.
Speaking of which.....I saw Turkeys for sale in WalMart here yesterday and the price is staggering. It must be difficult for a restaurant to price a dinner and still make a profit.
I'm under the impression that there's a huge Turkey industry in Mexico, judgeing from the many brands of Turkey hotdogs for sale in the stores.
Another thing that takes up a lot of freezer space here is Smoked Turkey. The whole bird....smoked. One of these days I'll get drunk brave and buy one, just to see what it's about.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 05:05 PM

And... In the present day, it's also interesting to see that Halloween has become a holiday in Mexico, instead of or in addition to the Dia De Los Muertes.

It's a big old goofy world, according to John Prine.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

Theres a sizeable community of Tijuanenses down here and almost all celebrate thanksgiving. In my family its a tradition, i actually enjoy the concept of thanksgiving more than i do xmas. And ever since the 1st year we opened our doors, we where asked if we where going to offer thanksgiving dinner by local ex-pats, so whe did and it was a success. I doesn't hurt that i cook a pretty good bird;D

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISAnother thing that takes up a lot of freezer space here is Smoked Turkey. The whole bird....smoked. One of these days I'll get drunk brave and buy one, just to see what it's about.

I have smoked a whole turkey myself. The hard part is keeping it lit.

:lol:

Seriously though, I built a smoker using a metal trash can and an electric hot plate. First thing I did in it was a whole turkey, and it was fantastic.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 06:11 PM

Where is this restaurant?

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 09:16 PM

there are a couple Mexican families here in la bocana who celebrate Thanksgiving...and many more who are becoming a part of our annual tradition... one of my favorite holidays, for sure,

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
... and not really a "restaurant holiday" stateside. It's about preparing and sharing food with the extended family at home. That being said- many people just don't know how to roast a turkey properly these days I suppose...

Not to mention that some of us don't have extended families. Seems to me that it's Retiree Heaven to be able to get all the great food without doing any of the work. :yes: :dudette:

Bajame, the restaurant is in La Paz, on Madero between Hidalgo and Constitución.

Whoosh, even with an extended family around, sometimes it is really fun to join together and eat a holiday meal at a good restaurant. Sometimes it gives more time to just enjoy the food and the company-----no clean up to worry about!

We have enjoyed Thanksgiving both at home with family, and with family at a restaurant.

Best of luck Jesse---sounds like a great menu.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Quote:

Not to mention that some of us don't have extended families. Seems to me that it's Retiree Heaven to be able to get all the great food without doing any of the work. :yes: :dudette:

Bajame, the restaurant is in La Paz, on Madero between Hidalgo and Constitución.

Whoosh, even with an extended family around, sometimes it is really fun to join together and eat a holiday meal at a good restaurant. Sometimes it gives more time to just enjoy the food and the company-----no clean up to worry about!

We have enjoyed Thanksgiving both at home with family, and with family at a restaurant.

... perhaps- but you don't get Turkey and Stuffing sandwiches the next few days... or turkey soup. All part of the tradition of Thanksgiving leftovers (which is actually hard to do in Mexico when all the guests arrive with their own tupperware.) We usually roast two large turkeys to make sure there is enough.

I think a special night out with friends for a good meal is great too. I'm just a CT Yankee and Thanksgiving traditions are from our area- so it goes deeper maybe. My family in CT isn't happy I rarely go home for it, but my Mexican family here loves the spread of food and I can't imagine stranding them without it now. I break out all the old family recipes and they get to see what a traditional thanksgiving is like. A lot of work- but I don't have to do dishes. ;)

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Quote:

... perhaps- but you don't get Turkey and Stuffing sandwiches the next few days... or turkey soup.

What?? who says you don't get turkey sandwiches? we have been offering a turkey sandwich the next day for years and its also a hit.

Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 11:36 AM

San Ignacio Springs for Thanksgiving, great feast!

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 12:40 PM

Here is how I smoke my Turkey, with layers of bacon on top.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 12:47 PM

Always wanted to try that, Bob. Does the bacon actually add something to the bird?

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Always wanted to try that, Bob. Does the bacon actually add something to the bird?

I layer the bacon on during the last 45 mins (or so) of cooking time. We all stand around the bird and eat the bacon as an appetizer just before taking the bird off of the grill.

The bacon juices dripping over the side of the smoked skin and into the gravy pan makes for very tasty gravy!

And, the bacon is wonderful!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Día de Gracias has been co-opted by many in Mexico. After all....it's good food.
Speaking of which.....I saw Turkeys for sale in WalMart here yesterday and the price is staggering. It must be difficult for a restaurant to price a dinner and still make a profit.
I'm under the impression that there's a huge Turkey industry in Mexico, judgeing from the many brands of Turkey hotdogs for sale in the stores.
Another thing that takes up a lot of freezer space here is Smoked Turkey. The whole bird....smoked. One of these days I'll get drunk brave and buy one, just to see what it's about.
Dennis most people I have talked to get their turkeys in the states or get who ever is going in to pick one up.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 04:51 PM
Ha!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajame
San Ignacio Springs for Thanksgiving, great feast!

Is this not a Canadian run operation? I realize that Canadians have their own Thanksgiving Day on a different date. But...?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2011 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Here is how I smoke my Turkey, with layers of bacon on top.

Oh, it's getting close to Turkey Day... cannot wait!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.