BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Humminbird 365i GPS/FF ~ off road?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 03:28 PM
Humminbird 365i GPS/FF ~ off road?

I have a few GPS units now and the Tom Tom unit I just got shows no land details. Now I'm trying my boat unit and the instructions say water only. Anyone try their boat GPS on land and do you get a topo type screen image?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:17 PM

You should U2U Bajamatic about this. He's a GPS pro.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 09:04 AM

As far as I know, gps units don't care if you are on land or sea - its all about what map you're using. Most units allow you to switch maps - tomtom is more or less automatic, and it definitely is not topo (unless you install the Offroad navigator hack, but then you have to create and upload your own maps). The marine gps systems will say water only because they don't have any land details. The land based units will only have streets and city info - no marine details. Some offer both, but I think that's only the garmin 640. Most will only have either streets or marine info. And if you want to see topo info, then you need to figure out how to add new maps and either make your own with fugawi (my favorite company name (where the f*ck are we!)), buy them online from lbmaps or bicimapas, or buy one that already had that info - and to the best of my knowledge only lowrance sells an acceptable baja topo right out of the box.

yuletide
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 10:16 AM

I'm very disappointed in the narrow, proprietary way that GPS has developed. I get such detail out of online based mapping such as Google and Chrome but then have to deal with Garmin and their ilk to try to have a satellite based system in the field. And they are expensive and unreliable IMHO.

I have pulled the older versions of Mapsource to use for offroad purposes, they are not locked and they have older, dirt road types of data on them. I know that Garmin has pulled that older data off the newer versions, some states and the feds have requested that to decreased off road use. And yes, I am sure of this having a connection in a state geologic office....

I still like my maps and compass. They are not as reliable for marine use but I'm very good with 7.5 min maps.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
skippermike
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 01:01 PM
Combo GPSs

I second Bajamatic's posting.
I'm in the marine business, and have many miles as delivery captain. Also am part of a major off rad race team.
I looked for a combo unit and was pretty much disappointed. As noted, the Garmin 640 is the only onee I know to do both - BUT, the land display leaves off some of the natutal features of a marine GPS, i.e. range and bearing to waypoint, compass course steered, etc.
When working in the "land" mode it has a different "personality" than the marine mode.
I use a big-screen Garmin for off-roading. The standard is more the Lowrance.
Don't know if a Lowrance Baja model would work in marine mode - you might want to look into them Though, they are way less user-friendly than the Garmin.
Goo luck.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 03:45 PM

I think the best thing going these days is the iPad. There are some good apps out there for land, air and sea. Glare is the biggest drawback I've found. It's an otherwise solid platform and you can use lots of map sources depending on the software you choose.

yuletide
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 04:31 PM

OK, I'm not happy with the car or boat GPS units I have so I went to YouTube and looked at the Garmin Montana 650i. Pretty impressive and I think I could deal with the 4" diagonal screen. I'm going to do more research and maybe some one here has experience with that unit down here. Please lets hear what you use for off road exploring. This will be for my Ranger SxS. I want to explore/camp in areas with little or less traffic.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 07:16 PM

All of the map databases for water usage are terrible in our area Russ because they are based on old maps from the 1950's that were way off then and still are. But on the water, the best thing is that once you set up a waypoint in your memory, you should be able to get spot on to that waypoint when you want to return. I also keep a paper copy of all my waypoints so that if I have a failure then I can load things in the new GPS.

As far as land is concerned, I am trying out the bicimapas and will let you know what I find in the backcountry. We are headed to Mission Guadalupe on Wed. so that may give me a good test.

skippermike
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2012 at 11:31 PM
GPS

Russ,
I started in my truck with a smaller (4.3") screen NUVI, but couldn't use it off road.
It was fine for city navigation here in CA and in Baja.
That's why I went to the 7" StreetPilot.
Bicimapas are great. Good city detail, and great off road/topo detail - just a little pricey.
If you really get into this, you'll bump into the track point limit on Garmins - 10,000 poimts on mine. This is an annoyance for following/chasing Baja races.
I just became aware of a piece of software called gpx2img, which claims to take a large set of track points - like a Baja 1000 race course - and convert them to a "clear" map that can be overlaid on a regular map, i.e. bicimapas map.
I haven't had chance to spend time with it - but will report when I have a chance.
I've heard from people using IPads, but question how durable they'd be.
Also, whatever you choose, look at RAM Mounts to secure them to your vehical - they are great!!

[Edited on 1-23-2012 by skippermike]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 06:57 AM

skippermike/Pescador One of the GPS units I have is the Nuvi and it's great up north but lacking down here off road. Same with the TomTom. I'll do some searching on the bicimapas map and look forward to your reports.

skippermike
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 07:04 AM
Off Road GPS

The NUVI will take the bcimapas, and work fine - even do autorouting, like in the states.
If you tell it that off road is OK, it will even try to do autorouting off road.
The problem with the small NUVIs is that, when you start getting all bicimapas detail on the screen, it gets a little cluttered - especially off road at any speed. I haven't tried the newer 5" models - 1490??
Also, take a look online and see if you see any Garmin StreetPilot 7200 or 7500 units around - I'm very happy with mine.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 08:06 AM

Another problem is it's all in PC talk and not Mac.

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 09:09 AM

I use an iPad gen.1 and an xgps Bluetooth receiver with cached google earth files and/or motionx iPad app. Kind of amazing. I also have a tom tom to which I addded Offroad Navigator but that's very complicated. Ive also used a nuvi. As far as stand alone units go the nuvi was best but it doesn't come close the iPad set up.

yuletide
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 09:11 AM

Garmin is VERY Mac friendly these days

yuletide
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 09:27 AM

One more iPad plug - it also serves as my weather fax, star chart, field guide to whatever, holds my essential manuals in the kindle app, and stores all my other useful data like my favorite nomad threads and any other intel I've collected online. It's my electronic leatherman.

yuletide
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:23 AM

What am I missing here? How can an iPad do gps when there is no 3G service -- say on the way to San juanico?

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:28 AM

with this:

http://autocarsuperstore.com/product/72_Dual-Electronics-XGP...

and this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps-hd/id370488535?mt...

it does everything every other GPS unit does, and more.

yuletide
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:29 AM

from the reviews:

Wicked awesome stand out app of 2011

by CaptYon

I've been using this app for going on 2 years and mostly for off roading in the Baja and other locations in the SE....

[Edited on 2-13-2012 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:41 AM

Gracias bajamatic!

Toobman

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 10:49 AM

Gracias indeed Bajamatic! I was about to pull the trigger on a GPS unit for my first solo Baja trip (wife's requirement!) on Amazon when it occurred to me to check here first. I'm so glad I did. I'm going to go with the iPad solution now.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.