BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8
Author: Subject: WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE TOURISM??
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:30 PM
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE TOURISM??

OK....we've been watching the good/bad tourism thread along with about a gazillion other sources of news abut how bad tourism in Baja has become.
We attribute this downward trend to the crime, the choked-up border and the economy for the most part, but, accepting these situations as the cause of it all, what's to be done to turn it around?
We need to see practical, real world solutions here...not just complaints about the effects. We need to address the causes and change that.
How can that be done.....realistically done? Not just demanded.

Any ideas out there?
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:43 PM

I've tried to book a flight to loreto this spring , no way getting a ticket , not enough seats to cover the people wanting to go there . Wanted to spend some money there but can't get there .

:light: more flights , more tourists with money to spend in loreto:rolleyes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:51 PM

It's all here...it's all about advertising the right way.

YOU'VE GOT TO..... ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:52 PM

Limit the use of gill nets to certain areas. Those areas will become biological dead zones. You can still catch fish in the Sea of Cortez, but the window is closing.:(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
It's all here...it's all about advertising the right way.

YOU'VE GOT TO..... ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE!

How does that eliminate the negatives?

We know full well what the negatives are. I'm just wondering if we're all just peeing in the wind wishing they would go away.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:57 PM

Have a coordinated effort....streamline all the permits, laws, required for a tourist. Make it easy for a tourist to get the permits, licenses, etc.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Have a coordinated effort....streamline all the permits, laws, required for a tourist. Make it easy for a tourist to get the permits, licenses, etc.

That would certainly help as well. I guess all beaches started with just one grain of sand.

Still....shouldn't we be concerned with the elimination of the negatives? Can that be done?
That is MY question.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

I agree!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 02:20 PM
Let Tillie Foster do her job...

Let Tillie Foster do her job the way she wants and stop interfering and we will have a booming tourism once again!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
OK....we've been watching the good/bad tourism thread along with about a gazillion other sources of news abut how bad tourism in Baja has become.
We attribute this downward trend to the crime, the choked-up border and the economy for the most part, but, accepting these situations as the cause of it all, what's to be done to turn it around?
We need to see practical, real world solutions here...not just complaints about the effects. We need to address the causes and change that.
How can that be done.....realistically done? Not just demanded.

Any ideas out there?
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 02:27 PM

Above posts have many good points but a major factor is that many people, especially the younger folks, simply don't have the funds for travel that they did in the past.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:11 PM

Advertise, advertise, advertise...always a good short-term ploy. Build it and they will come attitudes have always prevailed...until now:

But now there is a few other factors to consider. The downward spiral of the US economy comes to mind immediately. Money!!.. for tourists to spend on luxury vacations in Baja.

That is of course, the key factor. And it is a very hard fix at this point. Money for tourists to spend on vacations in Baja? Not much around anymore. Our current failed US economics policy will continue to affect Baja.. our neighbor..and it's tourism. Until we decide to fix our own problems, we can do little about boosting Baja's economy, nor can we or should we give it that priority.

US fix is a must-do first, Baja will follow. Simple truths are always the hardest to accept, but the easiet to follow.

Now excuse me while I duck...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:18 PM

After reading the comments above, sounds like we have different definitions of tourism.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:28 PM
Follow the money

Unfortunately, Baja, and Mexico do not have the advertising dollars and the media support to counteract all of the (sometimes true and sometimes misstated) bad press generated by the US news media.

Follow the money.....Who has to gain by US and Canadian tourists staying home??????......the US and Canadian travel/tourist industry..........and who buys advertising on major TV/Radio networks and in major newspapers........the US and Canadian travel industry.......

In my opinion, the best way to increase tourism, and tourism dollars is for all of us to be spokespresons for Baja (and Mexico).

Just had a recent visit by some friends from NOB......same story....they thought there would be heads rolling in the street and bodies hanging from every bridge.........what they found was fun, warm, friendly people, great food......and an outstanding time......when they return home, they will spread the word.......that is what Baja needs.....

Maybe we could invite Sandra Dibble from the San Diego UT down for a week so she can see the "real" Baja.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:38 PM

New northbound border crossing from playas. Never gonna happen but it would be nice.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:40 PM

How about thinking towards 2040 and going with 48 or 60 northbound lanes at SY instead of 36?

Burbs
Junior Nomad

Mood: Full Mood

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:03 PM

1.) For our area(Loreto-Mulege) it is the high price of flights. But even with the high price, the flights are full. A friend just had to leave two weeks early because he could not get on a later flight out.

2.) Each area(towns) needs to have more information on things to do. This could be supplied at various locations including City Hall. Large information boards at the entrances of local Pueblo's. These could be free, unbiased info boards. Included are maps of the town and layouts of the streets. People rely on old or outdated travel guides which can be disappointing. There are so many things to do.
*I will do this at Buenaventura!

3.) Arrest the bandito's. Robberies on or near the beach happen regularly. In March-April they will increase with the robbers knowing the tourists are leaving. Even if the robbers get caught the tourist will not stay to prosecute. So its a win-win situation for robbers. The police know who is doing this. The authorities have to stop the bad guys.

4.) Like Pompano says, have positive information about Mexico.

5.) Promote towards persons in their 50-60's. These are the persons who might like Mexico and invest in a house. Where we live, investors are needed. Excuse me for saying this, but it seems there are not so many young(50-60) persons buying in this part of Mexico. In the days past from what I've heard this was not the case.

6.) Connect electricity and have more phone towers(yes you..Carlos Slim) in our Mulege area. As I drive along the Mexican #1 power lines seem to be run in all directions, but they can't connect 30 miles north of Loreto to Mulege. There is plenty of business for the electricity and it will encourage some tourism growth and sales of parcels. Phones and communication are so important to tourists and non tourists. I'm sure if there was electric power available the phone antennae would follow.

7.) Educate the local communities on how important tourism is. Explain to the locals how the monies stay in the community and show how it helps all. Some Mexicans are anti tourism because they feel they are not rewarded by its benefits. But if they can be shown how it does benefit them maybe it could change their attitude. When tourists feel welcome it can be miraculous.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:15 PM

1 Get the drunks off of baja nomads. Anyone reading these pages would be afraid to come down here.
2 Pay the policia a decent wage. Smart people do not have to take an under paid job.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:31 PM

Seems to me that some of the problems, as well as the fixes might actually be different between the Baja crowd, and Mexico in general.

As for what ligui mentioned, it's more about the tail wagging the dog. Given the high cost of fuel, and the business models of the airline industry, we will never see them providing more flights in the hope that it will result in more passengers. Loreto has been suffering for the past several years simply because there really are not enough people looking to travel there by plane. I had considered that when the Villa Group opened their Ensenada Blanca resort, they might have considered subsidizing airfares from the US. NO. They have, instead, subsidized some flights from Cabo to Loreto, which, to me, begs the question when it's all about getting people to go to Mexico in the first place.

Lencho's comment about closing the La Paz malecon to vehicles does sound interesting. I have greatly enjoyed just such pedestrian-friendly conditions on Isla Mujeres. But, La Paz is a big city. And I really wonder where all those hoped-for pedestrians would park?

As for Pompano, "That is of course, the key factor. And it is a very hard fix at this point. Money for tourists to spend on vacations in Baja? Not much around anymore. Our current failed US economics policy will continue to affect Baja.. our neighbor..and it's tourism. Until we decide to fix our own problems, we can do little about boosting Baja's economy, nor can we or should we give it that priority."....

Perhaps fodder for Fox News enthusiasts, but in fact the US economy, while having a slow recovery, is still caught in the throes of something that was started a long time ago with the migration of manufacturing offshore. There;s simply no quick fix to this problem. And although there will be many who will disagree with me, there actually needs to be more government spending to create jobs. The Trickle Down thing after decades shows that what results is trickle up to the rich. Anyone care to show me any job creating legislation introduced by Boehner's House?

Mexico has, and is attempting to attract tourism for around the world. They realize that there is a limit to how many tourists they can lure from the US.

But, the long-running drug war and cartel violence cannot simply be swept under the rug.

For as long as anyone worries about the treat of violence, real or perceived, it it be a drag on Mexico's tourist industry.

The US is absolutely complicit in this, given that although during the Bush/ Fox years, it got kick-started, when Calderon took office, it became a surge.

Usually one can determine the results of such an operation by whether things are better than they were. 'Nuff said.

I dunno if the genie is out of the bottle on this, but given the upcoming Mexican elections, there does exist an opportunity for a new regime to broker some sort of deal with these filthy rich drug lords that will quell the violence. God knows that was how it worked for many years.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
1 Get the drunks off of baja nomads. Anyone reading these pages would be afraid to come down here.
2 Pay the policia a decent wage. Smart people do not have to take an under paid job.

Hate to say it joe, but you need a window in your belly to see when your head's so far up your butt.
You have no idea of the problems here. No idea at all.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Lencho's comment about closing the La Paz malecon to vehicles does sound interesting.

Not even near an approach to the three problems noted above. This is like saying, "Have cleaner restrooms and they will come."

I mentioned the three, in my way of thinking, barriers to life as it was in Baja.
Some of you have sniffed at it, peed on it, and gone your way with local problems.....which won't be problems if you can't get people down here.

Try harder, folks, to see the Maginot Line that needs to be crossed....and it ain't chicknsht visa problems.

C'mon....you guys can think deeper than this.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.