BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "I SAY! JOSE!"
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 04:58 PM
"I SAY! JOSE!"

A cut & paste from the San Diego Union Tribune

Several months ago news broke about the Beckmann family to be negotiating with the Diageo Company to sell the rights of “José Cuervo”, the #1 selling tequila in the global market distributed to over a 100 countries.

English newspaper “The Telegraph” announced that next Thursday Paul Wash, Diageo’s CEO, could confirm the acquisition in the company’s yearly report.

Diageo is already backing up important beverage brands like Johnnie Walker and Tanqueray. Now, with the purchase of José Cuervo, the company hopes to have a stronger presence in the Latin American market besides improving their stock prices in the London and New York stock markets with the idea of entering the Hong Kong stock market.

“José Cuervo” was born in 1978; its selling price is estimated to be around three billion dollars.

It seems like Mexican beverages have a strong appeal to foreigners, just a few months ago Grupo Modelo, the producer of the famous “Corona” beer was bought by Belgian group Anheuser-Bush.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 05:14 PM
ALWAYS REMEMBER

" YOU DON'T BUY BEER,,YOU ONLY RENT IT" K&T:coolup:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 06:03 PM
YUCK!!!

I can't see anybody intentionally buying or drinking José Cuervo or Corona......that crap is swill :fire:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I can't see anybody intentionally buying or drinking José Cuervo or Corona......that crap is swill :fire:
apparently people living ouside of Baja don't have our good tastes.

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 09:07 AM

I can recall when Cuervo and Sauza Gold were considered classy imports in US bars.
They still have their place in Margaritas. Anything better would be a waste of quality.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 09:38 AM

Cuervo has it's place along side Rose's Lime Juice and other adulterated mixes passing as margs.

Hornitos Plata with fresh squeezed limes and a dash of triple sec or grand marnier beats Cuervo. Side by side you can tell the difference -- between a good marg and a great marg.

Tequila has grown up -- Cuervo is for people who are starting out and don't know the difference.

Sipping: Patron or Cabo Wabo.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Tequila has grown up -- Cuervo is for people who are starting out and don't know the difference.

...and people are paying the going price of $55/liter in Alberta Canada

Bob Durrell
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 10:34 AM

only a nomad with a superior educated palate would call the #1 tequila in the world and the #5 beer in the world, "swill" :wow:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
only a nomad with a superior educated palate would call the #1 tequila in the world and the #5 beer in the world, "swill" :wow:

Thank you sir for the complement...........just because they are number 1 and number 5 (on somebody's list) shows a distinct lack of taste!!!!....:lol:

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

Thank you sir for the complement...........just because they are number 1 and number 5 (on somebody's list) shows a distinct lack of taste!!!!....:lol:

I'd add that all tequila drinkers have taste. Some have more of a developed taste.

For example, some people probably can't tell the difference between Cuervo Gold and Patron. Or the difference between anejo, reposado or plata.

Right?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 04:01 PM

hey look, i'd rather drink patron than cuervo too. that doesnt mean that patron is any better than jose, it just means one suits our taste better.
jose cuervo is the best selling tequila in the world enjoyed by millions, what makes you so arrogant to think your choice of tequila means anything to anyone but you?
a more developed taste? give me a break! same goes for corona, your developed taste has propelled you all the way to pacifico?:rolleyes:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
hey look, i'd rather drink patron than cuervo too. that doesnt mean that patron is any better than jose, it just means one suits our taste better.
jose cuervo is the best selling tequila in the world enjoyed by millions, what makes you so arrogant to think your choice of tequila means anything to anyone but you?
a more developed taste? give me a break! same goes for corona, your developed taste has propelled you all the way to pacifico?:rolleyes:

Patron doesn't taste any better than Cuervo? Oh my, you are out of touch.

Personally, I don't drink Patron but did years ago.

If you can't tell the difference between premium sipping tequila and Cuervo, you're an amateur.

Besides, who gives a flying F whether Cuervo is a top selling tequila? Sip your swill and I"ll enjoy my premium. If you don't like your swill, move up. (Cuervo is for those who can't afford better. Fact of life.)
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 12:12 PM

:biggrin: We're gonna argue about what brand of alcohol is gonna get your buzz going?:lol: Taste?:biggrin:

[Edited on 8/24/2012 by Cypress]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
well now settle down lee, you're sounding like a pompous blowhard. first of all I wasn't aware there were professional vs amateur tequila drinkers, obviously you consider yourself a "pro", congratulations! maybe you can advise as to how one reaches this level of,uh,sophistication? my guess is you start with an overpriced hand blown,numbered bottle, attach a famous name like paul mitchell (yup, the same guy that leaves your hair soft and silky makes your tequila soft and silky), or how about sammy hagar?
you're not a tequila aficionado, you're just a fool that bought into a slick madison avenue sales campaign. but then again, its just tequila!:spingrin:

Clearing the air............

In your response to me, you referred to me as arrogant.....yep, you are right, I am

Now you are calling Lee a pompous blowhard
and a fool who "bought into a slick madison avenue sales campaign"

You lose credibility when you start calling people names, Willard.......I'm sure that with your superior knowledge you can make a point without reverting back to third grade playground behavior.

Oh, and that little factoid about Jose Cuervo being "the best selling tequila in the world enjoyed by millions".........just goes back to your above post.....(millions of) "fool(s) that bought into a slick madison avenue sales campaign"

One more point........"you said ...."but then again, its just tequila".....actually, is more serious than "just tequila"... :lol:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 01:00 PM

"Get'cher Red Hot Peanuts And Popcorn Here...!"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 01:05 PM

you sir are correct. I apologize for the pompous blowhard and arrogant remarks.
the original story was simply about jose cuervo being sold, I took exception with the reply "that crap is swill".really?
prorader
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 01:53 PM

Just because I have been in Mexico 6 years does not mean I gave up on a sip of Jack Daniels, now and then
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prorader
Just because I have been in Mexico 6 years does not mean I gave up on a sip of Jack Daniels, now and then

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel :lol:

prorader
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 02:09 PM

charcoal flavor, nothing like that here. You have an extra $5,000.00 US we can split a few

[Edited on 8-24-2012 by prorader]
ballzcowboy

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 04:05 PM

José Cuervo being number one has nothing to do with taste. Any products rating comes from marketing efforts. Madison Avenue can put anything on top! I recall in my youth ads saying nine out of ten doctors preferred Chesterfield cigarettes . Given enough millions Madison Avenue can and will make the worst product in the world seem like the best. That is what they do. And they are very good at it. Therefore I say "NO WAY JOSE".

For my unrefined taste any Tequila that is 100 % agave is close enough. Lately the new "buss words" seem to be "blue agave" which can be very little agave and a whole lot of sugar induced alcohol which can kill off my few remaining braincells.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.