Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Please Don't Be a Jerk
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 03:28 PM
Please Don't Be a Jerk

When you visit a different country.

I have been stewing about this, so I guess I am just going to let it out.

Yesterday, Saturday, 11:45 am on Labor Day weekend, two college age frat boys got all bent out of shape because a bus was idling behind their parjed pickup truck.

I came out of the market near them and they were running up and down the sidewalk, waving their arms and yelling at the top of their voices, "Where is the bus driver?"

The locals that I know speak perfect English looked away and played deaf.

The driver returned to his bus is about two minutes after all the big drama started.

The two dudes got back into their bruck, backed up an CUT THROUGH A FUNERAL PROCESSION, RIGHT BEHIND THE HEARSE, GUNNING THEIR ENGINE ALL THE WAY.

Thank you for reading, I am done ranting, for today anyway.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 04:23 PM
By this measure the United States is the most foreign country of all

They act like that up here, all the time
why should they change stripes when they cross the border?

Couple years ago two young shirtless glassyeyed studs beat the crap out of my cousin when he yelled at them for grabbing his 18 year old daughter's backside. We were walking through the display area at Fontana Speedway.

I guess that is not so unusual, except that my cousin was 65 and the combined age of the two was likely 45.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

Yesterday, Saturday, 11:45 am on Labor Day weekend, two college age frat boys got all bent out of shape because a bus was idling behind their parjed pickup truck.

I came out of the market near them and they were running up and down the sidewalk, waving their arms and yelling at the top of their voices, "Where is the bus driver?"

The driver returned to his bus is about two minutes after all the big drama started.

The two dudes got back into their bruck, backed up an CUT THROUGH A FUNERAL PROCESSION, RIGHT BEHIND THE HEARSE, GUNNING THEIR ENGINE ALL THE WAY.

I'm confused-------why did the "frat guys" get upset with an "idling bus"???

Barry
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I'm confused-------why did the "frat guys" get upset with an "idling bus"???

Barry

Probably had them penned in. It's been known to happen down here, but that's no excuse to go crazy.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 05:02 PM
Yes. the Bus Was Blocking

But let's talk about the timeline.

We parked at the market next door, the bus was not there, I exited the market about five minutes later to witness all the drama.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 05:28 PM

gypsy jan - unfortunately Americans are known abroad as the UGLY AMERICAN which is obviously a gross generic statement. In this case, seems warranted. Nothing condones driving recklessly thru a funeral. Shows their immaturity to the max.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 05:34 PM

Quote:

Why?
Blocking a car is rude and arrogant, even for only a short time. The bus driver couldn't care less about the inconvenience he caused another driver. Let's talk about that.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 05:45 PM

Sounds like two JERKS meet in the street. Maybe they should have a JERK OFF.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 05:53 PM

I'm with Dennis on this, but in the US or Mexico I would not make a big deal about it--------you are supposed to relax in Mexico--------that's what we go down there for, isn't it? :spingrin:

Thanks for the explain, J. Jan-----lots of jerks, IMO, in this instance. I would have popped a Negra Modelo, myself, and grinned.

Barry
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Why?
Blocking a car is rude and arrogant, even for only a short time. The bus driver couldn't care less about the inconvenience he caused another driver. Let's talk about that.

Glad to see you're getting better. That's the old Dennis I remember.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Glad to see you're getting better. That's the old Dennis I remember.

Thanks, Igor. As Jimmy Buffet once sang:
"Good days and bad days and goin' half madd days."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsG3PyGvL0

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by DENNIS]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 11:49 AM

I remember when my Grandfather passed away, in Alabama, and during his funeral procession every single car on the two lane road, in both directions, pulled completely off the road and stopped as we passed by.

Talk about respect! It was most gracious!!!

So, there are a whole lot of good Americans out there too.

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 12:02 PM

Quote:

Let's talk about popping another cerveza and chilling out! Mexico, love it or leave it! If you are in a hurry, you shouldn't visit here.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

Let's talk about popping another cerveza and chilling out! Mexico, love it or leave it! If you are in a hurry, you shouldn't visit here.

Point of fact, he lives in Mexico. Love it or leave it, really?

Bad behavior has nothing to do with a "chillin" attitude, IMO.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo

Seems the bus driver was the one in a hurry, so much so that he couldn't, or just plain wouldn't, park his badass bus in a civilized manner, ignoring the needs of others on the road.
One could easily wonder how much racism became involved in his selfish decision.
Had he not been such a parking pig, this incident might very well have not escalated to a point of road rage on the part of the jerk tourist....if that's what he was.
Where did it say he was an American?
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 02:41 PM

Thanks for posting. A personal favorite I learned here in Mexico is patience.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 02:44 PM

DENNIS - the original post says they were runnig around yelling in English

and

the title is PLEASE DON'T BE A JERK when you visit another country.

and in thinking it over - it is so rude to block someone's car in, even if only for a moment. just plain ole rude. so, I agree with you all on that.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 02:52 PM

Quote:

sounds like the jerks in the pick up met a jerk in a bus, and had a circle jurk :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by mtgoat666]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
DENNIS - the original post says they were runnig around yelling in English

and

the title is PLEASE DON'T BE A JERK when you visit another country.

and in thinking it over - it is so rude to block someone's car in, even if only for a moment. just plain ole rude. so, I agree with you all on that.
AHAA! running around yelling in english! obviously a lot of limey hooligans probably from liverpool! and you're ready to blame americans! shame on you.:o
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 03:56 PM

¡Aayy Caray!

This happens all the time. Mexicans do not go ballistic; they may frown when this happens but...

At the Bancomer Bank in Vizcaino last month. Came out of the ATM and there was a car parked behind me. Not on purpose but because parking is scarce. I tooted the horn, and about 15 seconds later a young man ran out of the bank and moved his car. I wonder if those young folks bothered to give the horn a couple of taps? The driver could have ran in and used the restroom. And yes the facilities on the buses sometimes are out of order.

Not worth damaging my health over, for a fact. Going without power in very warm and humid Guerrero Negro Saturday, I went to a mechanic and had the oil changed in the car, then jotted over to an outdoor segundas and prowled the aisles. All caused way back in Vizcaino when some poor soul hit a high tension power pole -- bet I had a better day than he did.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.