Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rigged for Baja trailering
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:08 AM
Rigged for Baja trailering

20" shaft motor mounted on 15" transom using jack plates. Home made "transom saver" to transfer the load to the trailer. On the front of the motor I have a steel strap bolted to the motor and the transom to stop the motor from pivoting left/right, up/down.

Comments?

motor 001.jpg - 47kB

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:12 AM

Cut-proof manganese steel chain and top quality padlock, with a shroud guard.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:19 AM
trailerig

HOLA, repack and inspect wheelbearings and install "bearing buddy's and take lugs off and put back together with triple guard grease..better than antiseeez...tie,tie,tie down and recheck often!! service motor and gearcase and the thermastat and poppet valve and spring.....clean and service reels with new line and go tackle shopping!!! K&T:cool: ps METAL MOUNTED ROD HOLDERS WITH SAFTEY CLIPS

[Edited on 9-10-2012 by captkw]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:21 AM
is thyat a 48 speciel ??

WOW !! CABLE AND PULLY STEERING!!!! PS THAT PROP WILL BE RUNNING A BIT DEEP !! LITTLE TOP END LOSS BUT THAT BOAT SHOULD FLY !!:yes:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:31 AM

I'm going to loosen and tighten the lug nuts. I have buddy bearings and marine grade grease - lots of it.

Found this video about how to fix the REALLY STUPID no vent gas cans. At about 3:15 starts the part about installing a vent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI&feature=relat...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajajeffrey
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:33 AM

Great setup, but if your going to remote locations I recommend an Eide automatic car/truck loader.
Gets rid of the trailer worries.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:34 AM

I can't tell if you have plastic glides on your bunks or not but they really make things easy.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:35 AM
GREEEZE THE LUG STUDS

BAJA "RAMP'S" AND I USE THE WORD LOOSELY DONT HAVE WASH DOWN WATER AND IF YOU DONT PREP YOUR STUDS WITH A GOOD MARINE GREEEZ ITS A BAD DAY IF YOU GET A FLAT AND THE TIRE WONT COME OFF OR YOU BREAK OFF ALL THE STUDS....K&T:cool:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
WOW !! CABLE AND PULLY STEERING!!!! PS THAT PROP WILL BE RUNNING A BIT DEEP !! LITTLE TOP END LOSS BUT THAT BOAT SHOULD FLY !!:yes:

'86 40 horse Evinrude on a '64 14', rather heavy riveted aluminum Starcraft. Max rating 40 hp. Yup cable and pulley steering. I'm buying/installing new stainless steel cable and rigging goodies. The pulley hangers are all in good shape.

I don't go too far off road, plus a boat on a trailer is a good cargo hauler for light bulky things like folding chairs and coolers.

[Edited on 9-10-2012 by SFandH]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:50 AM
86 40 HP

WITH THE RIGHT PROP THAT WILL FLY !! JOHNSON/EVINRUDE ARE KNOWN FOR PWR PACK FAIL..RECOMMEND YOU INSTALL A NEW ONE IF NOT REPLACED YET!! 80 BUCKS BEATS SITTING ON THE WATER WAITING FOR A TOW..ALSO HIGHLY REC. A ICOM OR STANTARD BRAND HANDHELD VHF!!!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 10:05 AM

"JOHNSON/EVINRUDE ARE KNOWN FOR PWR PACK FAIL..RECOMMEND YOU INSTALL A NEW ONE IF NOT REPLACED YET"

I don't know what you're talking about. Is this a mysterious electronic black box of some kind? Give me a link.

What would the right prop be? But I'm not changing this one unless I need to.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 10:08 AM

It depends on how much you plan on driving it on washboard roads. I wouldn't take it on the gonzaga road for example. If you decide to do it anyway then deflate those tires and drive slowly (<=10mph).
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 10:21 AM

My wife refuses to go on washboard roads. I don't blame her. And she's much more a keeper than any fish. 8^)

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 10:24 AM
PROP

THE PROP YOU HAVE ON THERE NOW SHOULD WORK OK.. BUT I CAN TELL YOU ITS NICE TO HAVE A SPARE !!! AND A LOT OF BOATS ARE PROPPED WRONG EVEN BOATS FROM THE FACTORY!!! YEP !! AND THE POWER PACK IS MOUNTED ON THE BACK OF THE MOTOR AND YOU CAN CHANGE IT YOURSELF 5 X 2 X2 BLACK BOX WITH WIRES COMING FROM UNDER THE FLYWHEEL GOING IN AND WIRES COMING OUT GOING TO THE COILS..CK OUT CDI ELECTONICS 113-2453 TO GIVE YOU A PIC OF A PWR PACK..THEY ARE A WEAK POINT IN A OTHERWISE VERY GOOD OLD SCHOOL MOTOR AND IF YOURS IS OLD YOU SHOULD CONSIDER REPLACING IT...AND YES" ITS EASY FOR ME TO SPEND YOUR MONEY" BUT THAT IS A KNOWN FAILURE PART ON THOSE GREAT MOTORS..K&T
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 10:28 AM

Thanks, I'm all for having spare parts.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
AND A LOT OF BOATS ARE PROPPED WRONG EVEN BOATS FROM THE FACTORY!!!

Depending on load and utilization.

When I had broken in the engine on my last Blackman skiff I got half-a-dozen props from the shop and went down to the bay, ran the boat with full fuel and bait tank to try and get some weight in it and kept changing props until I came up with one which ran at the proper max RPM.

Interestingly it was not an off the shelf stock prop either but a reworked wheel.

Boat ran beautifully under just about all conditions.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 11:07 AM

When repacking your wheel bearings make sure that the
grease sael is in good shape. It is a double lipped seal designed to keep the grease in and the water out. If it is not sealing right you will get water in your wheel bearings.
I always take an extra set of bearings and seals just in case.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
When repacking your wheel bearings make sure that the
grease sael is in good shape. It is a double lipped seal designed to keep the grease in and the water out. If it is not sealing right you will get water in your wheel bearings.
I always take an extra set of bearings and seals just in case.

I have Buddy Bearings. A mechanic in Ensenada replaced the bearings and seals last year. The grease now squishes out the inside of the hub. I'm constantly adding new grease. Did he use the wrong parts? I guess I should order new bearings and seals.

Thanks for the reminder.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 11:56 AM

:light::light::light:

McFez thinks that's one swell set up! I like many of us do the wash board dance.......and this contraption you came up with is great.

At the V hold........is there a rubber padding there? How bout a close up picture?

[Edited on 9-10-2012 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 12:17 PM

http://www.etrailer.com/question-21505.html

Here you go.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.