Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rincon de Guadalupe winery
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 10:58 AM
Rincon de Guadalupe winery

We have been driving by the sign on the one for over a year now, but yesterday we made the time and drove in to see if we could buy a few bottles from this our nearest winery. It lies( going south) just after San Vicente after the military checkpoint on the right. Its about a 6km drive on a decent road, you pass through farmland with beef cattle (well taken care of) and crops of olive trees and quince trees.
We pulled up and asked some kids playing if there was anyone around to sell us some wine, there were 2 workers in the main (beautiful) building with massive doors and elegant ironwork. The guys were pressing some white grapes I assume for their sauvignon blanc. We waited for awhile the guys gave us some grapes to eat but there were no people around to sell us anything. Next time we will make an appointment but it looked really promising they sell premium oilve oil, olives, tapenade and of course wine. Reading online their tempranillo seems to get high scores... not cheap though.

heres their website:

http://rincondeguadalupe.com/

and a review of the tempranillo:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/rincon-de-guadalupe-2...

all in all a very pretty spot, we will be going back to have tasting!

[Edited on 10-4-2012 by astrobaja]

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 01:25 PM

Interesting!
Sounds like a Guadalupe valley winery but it's not. Is much further south, past Santo Tomas. Will try them on our way south by the end of the month.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 08:46 AM
Now there is a "truth in lending" piece of work

California for years has battled wineries that tag the "Napa Valley" to their appellations.
We have several wineries up the road in Lodi that have loved to use those words.
A few years ago some of them were trucking tankers full of juice from our valley up to Napa and bottling it there and claiming Napa location.
These Baja guys are so brazen, that on the top of the website it says Valley of Vicente and in the name it is Valley of Guadalupe.
I would think the folks in Guadalupe would be furious over this deception.

Shame on them.....
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 10:23 AM

To be clear on the name its Rincon which means corner, and I also think its more to do with the virgin de guadalupe. Its pretty clear on their site that they are in the valle de San Vicente...

Their wines from what I understand are pretty well thought of in the interior of Mexico..

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 07:34 PM
Yeah, and we make some pretty good wine here in the Central Valley

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
To be clear on the name its Rincon which means corner, and I also think its more to do with the virgin de guadalupe. Its pretty clear on their site that they are in the valle de San Vicente...

Their wines from what I understand are pretty well thought of in the interior of Mexico..

But hanging the "Napa Valley" name on our stuff is
wrong
wrong
wrong
did I mention that it is wrong?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.