Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Mulege After Paul?
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2012 at 10:22 PM
Mulege After Paul?

I know that communications are sketchy coming out of Mulege at this time but could we have a thread that will address the conditions there? We know what difficulties Mulege has faced after H. John and H. Jimena and know that there has been flooding again. We appreciate what info has been shared. Would like to know how those in the vallee, town and along south and north sides of the Rio have fared? The people of Mulege are in out thoughts and prayers.
LaRibereņa
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 08:39 AM

Look under 'Baja News'
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 10:51 AM

I'm getting various random reports by email, text & phone, and posting to the Baja News thread on Paul, now up to several pages. That thread covers all of Baja as affected by Paul.

This flood event is not as devastating as Jimena, but is very comparable to H.John wherein the flood water was heavily laden w/thick sticky mud, and at epic levels. Apparently the time factor & rains coming from way up near the west/east divide of the peninsula allowed heavily erosive forces to build up & carry the mud.

Just to recap:
High water at the highway bridge was reported several feet (5-6) under the bridge structure, which is ~25' high in the channel at this very narrow gorge.
Jorge Yee's park & water plant just below the bridge must have been hammered, hope he got all his equipment out.
Proceeding west to east from bridge: Orchard- probably 10-12 feet, flowing fast.
Oasis Park 10-4 or 5 feet depending, farther east less water, homes w/high floors less also.
Jungle Jim's- 5-3 feet. Maribel's park less but mud will accumulate in these slower flow areas easily.
Some washouts on river roads, both sides of river that will include buried water main.
Upstream- no specific reports, but the high school had to be hit hard again up to about roof level of the buildings, and homes still in the flood zone will have been wiped out. Again.
Many displaced Mexicans, estimated ~300. Gringo's staying in local motels above the water line (Hotel Mulege, presumably Serenidad and some others).
Saul's store has generator so cold goods will be OK. Pinguino store is above flood, not sure if they have gen. Others stores & restaurants without electricity will be a mess and fresh food will be scarce till roads are open (Equipales & Mely's have gen's). Military is reported in the area tho specifics are not known (Baja was prepared for this to hit more populated southerly areas of La Paz & Los Cabos which it didn't, so resources like Military First Aid stations & electrical co. & phone workers are in place to respond; timing for services restored will vary).

Water service is out. Rotary International in cooperation w/Mulege Rotary & city services recently upgraded the water system capacity in town (new pila up on the hill north of town, new 100hp pump & well designed for flood). All that takes electricity, and there will have been many broken lines that will sap pressure for days or couple weeks when service is restored. Loma Azul & south side of river will take several days to restore, couple of weeks to repair all leaks. Everyone will be living on bottled water for some time. If you are coming from out of town, bring a 5gal jug to get started, or 2.

Donations will be accepted by the fire dept in town and by the churches for distribution. Mulege Rotary is not in session yet for that conduit. Hungry families can use food stuffs. Last couple of floods we gave Saul Davis money to assemble food packages; he & his kids know who is in need and you can trust him w/that work. If you bring food (or whatever), the above conduits will work. Sadly, this process is not new, and the methods are well understood.
But we persevere.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 11:08 AM

Mike, it appears that the power is on in town and power is restored in most areas south of Mulege at least to the Pemex station. Water not restored yet.

[Edited on 10-18-2012 by mulegejim]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 11:46 AM

very comprehensive report - thanks !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 02:48 PM

i just drove out of there yesterday afternoon after witnessing the disaster...if the water in my casa is any indication, it was just over 8 feet deep inside my house and adjacent buildings....the water velocity was much much higher than previous storms and it blew down anything in it's path..anything and everything...it's good to hear electricity is back on but i think in the oasis park it will take much longer as power poles were strewn about like matchsticks just upriver of my place..really sad to once again see all these folks wandering about with no place to go/live...at least some of us can go north...so, so sad.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 02:53 PM

Sad indeed. I'm sorry for your loss MMike.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 03:05 PM

The folks of Mulege, all the people who live here-- native-born, expat and winter people, are resilient.

Everyone is cleaning up.

Much of town has electricity. Water and electrics should be available to the outlying colonias this week.

Hard hit was the CECYT college preparatory school which received 2 meters of water. School is closed indefinately! This is a sad state of affairs for the young people of town who wish to attend college and achieve the goals that only the path of education can bring to one's life. There has been no other place made available in which to move the school.

The governor did a fly-over yesterday, touched down and did a hastily prepared townhall meeting. Not much was gained immediately, but I trust that it is the long-term goals and improvements that are being made which will make a difference in this town.

I'm with computer and communication only today because of the power loss. Haven't yet read other threads concerning the hurricane. I hope the rest of the peninsula was spared much loss and suffering. Hugs to all.

Thank you all for your concern and generous assistance and goodwill.
Mulegena

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 03:05 PM

From once every 50 years to every 2-3 years for these super flash floods... ? The padres wrote about them and almost moved the mission from Mulege north to Magdalena after a 1770 flash flood!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i just drove out of there yesterday afternoon after witnessing the disaster...if the water in my casa is any indication, it was just over 8 feet deep inside my house and adjacent buildings....the water velocity was much much higher than previous storms and it blew down anything in it's path..anything and everything...it's good to hear electricity is back on but i think in the oasis park it will take much longer as power poles were strewn about like matchsticks just upriver of my place..really sad to once again see all these folks wandering about with no place to go/live...at least some of us can go north...so, so sad.

Mike, I believe power is back on at the Oasis Park as it is on at the park at Bart's place. Just left there and folks are cleaning up and doing their best to cope. Bart's is open for c-cktails and beer - no food as yet. Jim
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 05:52 PM

wow!!...fabulous!!...hard to believe from what i saw...thanks for the update jimbo...so the tourney is on??...just kidding...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 05:52 PM

Thank you for the continuing updates! Received brief email from a friend in Don Chanos and the electricity was on there now. Said the Malecon is not what it was but most of it is still there. Wonderful to have communications and electricity up so soon.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
wow!!...fabulous!!...hard to believe from what i saw...thanks for the update jimbo...so the tourney is on??...just kidding...

Gene and I met at the Jungle and decided we both won and would split the proceeds - only problem was no proceeds so had a c-cktail and told fish tales instead. Jim
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 08:13 PM

Report yesterday from Martin Miranda Yee, one of the teachers at CECyT, was that the Governor had just approved the move to the new campus out in Nuevo Mulege. He was trying to get people together today to help with the move. He had photos on his Facebook page showing volunteers hard at work cleaning as best they could. Looked like about 5, maybe 6 feet of water. Not so much mud.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 08:16 PM

Will the people who are displaced be able to live in the homes in Nuevo Mulege?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 08:49 PM

Quote:

So sorry to hear about your mess mike, let me know if we can do anything to help, we're only 1 day away....dt & jt...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 11:53 PM

This is just so sad ... We have some really good friends who have a place on the river near the casitas who lost everything once already! Prayers go out to everyone there!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 03:06 AM

So sorry for everyone's loss.

I'm guessing what ever grading was going on near the river mouth a few weeks back shown on here has been washed away?
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 08:51 AM

Jungle got 76 inches of water, 58 in my casa. Power is on, but 3 more days, or so to repair water pipes.
5 inches of mud everywhwere, but everyone is helping each other and making headway.
No internet on river road, but is on, in town. Very little damage in town. Water came up to tel cell shop.
More later.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 10:56 AM

Grew up on the MS Gulf Coast. Have experienced more hurricanes than I can remember. A near miss will disrupt your life. Mulege is beginning to look like ground zero for Baja storms. They need to build back higher and stronger. Don't just clean up the mess and hope it won't happen again. It will happen again.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.