Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: the Storm story
shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 09:06 AM
the Storm story

It was quite a roller coaster ride during Hurricane Paul. All was going along well until we lost internet and couldn't see on the satellite where he was going...oh the agony of not knowing...

He did end up bringing high winds & some rain to our part of the coast...around 50 knots I figured. So when our roof was lifting off and windows bending in, Juan did a quick fix tying the roof down from the inside.

Our friend Ken moved his camper behind the rock rooms for safety and luckily when our radio antenna blew down, it missed his camper by inches...whew!

Juan flooded the panga with water so it wouldnt flip over...glad he did that!

I was surprised the waves were splashing up onto this lot for sale (where the car is parked)...maybe think twice before buying here eh!

the only injury was sustained by our duck...hmm...looks like a typical mexican wound.

it was a good excuse for a little survivor party yesterday when things quietened down a bit!

more pics and video later...today's job is to clean up the mess and the rest of the gang is out pithaya harvesting...margaritas anyone?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 09:07 AM

Wow, that is scary. When you have a moment can you please check to see how much rain leaked in our place?

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 09:38 AM

Thanks for the pics and glad all seems OK, if imperfect after storm.

Your specialty grocery order will be moving your way next week. Holler if you need other stuff from San Diego.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 09:50 AM

Northen BCS west coasters:

Sometimes we become complacent in our area of Baja since most hurricanes stay away. By hurricane standards, this one wasn't even close for us between Abreojos and Asuncion. The last one in 1999 (a tropical storm) was stronger and dumped more rain... but the point is there is a lesson here. If this one was scarey, think abut what will happen when a real hurricane hits instead of a tropical depression. and eventually it will. Are you going to be prepared? I for one, am going to re-evaluate how we protect our home.

Glad everyone is safe!
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 10:11 AM

What did Juan tie the ropes to on the floor?? :?::?:

Did those undies help secure the windows ??? :lol::lol:

Stay safe !! :biggrin:

Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 10:54 AM

About every 10 years... the one in 1999 was a tropical storm.we are overdue for a series of them. Not surprised the water was very warm this year.
shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 12:34 PM

Juan nailed long concrete nails into the wall down by the floor and tied them to those...last time we put his weights on the end of the ropes. We stuff rags between the window and the wood for more of a buffer there. The wind didnt get strong enough to blow out windows but better safe than sorry.

Yes Juan has already figured out how to fix the roof so it doesnt lift. We have plywood ready to put over the windows but it looked like we wouldnt get so much wind so hardly anyone put up plywood. We were fairly prepared but didnt think about the siding ripping off...the mast will be stepped much deeper now and attached to the roof...live and learn.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 01:24 PM

shari...you did better than us in mulege...a complete disaster!...had over 8 feet of swirling mud sewer water in our house, guest casitas and shop...disaster!!....at least roz and i have another house or two...lots and lots of folks homeless today...no water..no electricity..no gas....no bueno...i headed north after handing a fistfull of pesos to my cleanup crew..blew a roadblock in a roaring vado between mulege and santa rosalia and barely made it across..thought i might catch a few bullets from the marines but they had pity on me..sheesh!...presently at la jardines in san quintin...throw your positive thoughts to those folks in mulege....last estimate was power in 3 more days or so....worse storm yet for me and we've been through 4 in the last 8 years...m.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 02:00 PM

Shari, It looks like the Zetas got to your duck.:lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Juan nailed long concrete nails into the wall down by the floor and tied them to those...last time we put his weights on the end of the ropes. We stuff rags between the window and the wood for more of a buffer there. The wind didnt get strong enough to blow out windows but better safe than sorry.

Yes Juan has already figured out how to fix the roof so it doesnt lift. We have plywood ready to put over the windows but it looked like we wouldnt get so much wind so hardly anyone put up plywood. We were fairly prepared but didnt think about the siding ripping off...the mast will be stepped much deeper now and attached to the roof...live and learn.

In Abreojos many of the folks have u-hooks of rebar imbedded in the foundation to tie the houses/roofs down to.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 03:24 PM

rebar or tires half buried close to the house
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 03:30 PM

Thanks for the call yesterday, Shari.
Good to hear your voice and to know you, too, got through this with your roof-- and chonies-- intact. But damm! Your duck ran out of luck!! Shoot! I love that duck, may he rest in peace.

Best wishes to all the townsfolk, Shari. Hugs to Ramoncito from us both.

MulegeMichael, so good to see you yesterday on the river with big hugs and heart. Travel safe home to Roz. Rest up, regroup and rethink things given a bit of time. You're both Muleginos in my book and bring so very much to the community. You're much loved here.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 04:07 PM

Hola, Shari!

I have seen some of those ducks at local yard sales once in a while...I'll see if I can pick one up when I see one.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 04:18 PM

My original house had tires buried around the outside. I have more faith in the new house. My neighbor reports that everything is fine. I will see for my self in a few days.
shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 05:33 PM

I think will try to re-head el pato...here are some more pics from the storm from my other camera. Most of these were taken after we sought refuge in the dolphin room so they are through the window.

here in Ensenadita, the little cove by our place...BajaFam's Motor home is getting some spray.

there is a lot for sale where the wave is spraying up...anyone interested?

there will be NO swimming at the blowhole today kids

here is our panga Sirena weathering the storm

when things calmed down a bit, we drove around town to check out all the rentals...nothing leaked...hurray! Here is the campground from Toni & Jim's new 2nd floor added onto Kevin's old casa.

the pino lost some limbs

a hurricane didnt stop the beer truck from coming!!!

you can see why we are somewhat protected from all the rock out in front

the bird were all resting after the storm

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

In Abreojos many of the folks have u-hooks of rebar imbedded in the foundation to tie the houses/roofs down to.

We have rebar U hooks imbedded in the cement patio under our trailer in Bahia. The axel is chained to the hooks. We've seen too many trailers on their sides and don't want to be one of them.

I wish everyone who was hit by the hurricane a fast and safe recovery.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 06:55 PM

we never expected the wind to pick as it did either .. we tied the palapa to Les's pick up ! It looked hysterical - we did not get any pics.

and like Ralph said - this was NOT even a "real" hurricane but only a TStorm - I personally hope I never experience the real deal here.

we do have covers for all our B&B windows and they were ready to come out at a moment's notice if needed. The wind was loud and mostly in the middle of the night, but really not that strong here in LBocana.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2012 at 07:19 PM

Glad everyone is OK. Looks exciting and bit scary. Glad to hear all is well Shari.

shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 08:59 AM

here is a little clip from our patio when the wind started to whip up

[Edited on 10-19-2012 by shari]

shari
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-19-2012 at 09:28 AM

and here is one from inside the Dolphin Room with Izaak saying...agua...outside...agua...water outside!

[Edited on 10-19-2012 by shari]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.