Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Extra Drivers License
BajaJeeper

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 05:16 PM
Extra Drivers License

Some of you may find this thought useful. A few years ago I lost my drivers license (Florida). I paid a few bucks to get a new one, and then later found my old one in a shirt pocket. They look exactly alike except that the new one says "duplicate" in very small letters. And then the light bulb went off. So now I carry the original one in Baja and keep the replacement in reserve. Those of you that have been coming down for years will quickly recognize the potential value in having a "disposable" license that can be abandoned in a shake down situation. When my current one expires in 2014 I may have to arrange to "lose" the new one briefly so that I can continue to have a spare.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 05:17 PM

:light:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 05:19 PM

Good idea... I keep my previous expired one in my truck, but an unexpired duplicate is even better! Welcome to Nomad... You should meet Ken Cooke, a big time Baja Jeep Rubicon trail boss!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 05:56 PM

I make extra documents, DLs and FM2s on my printer. I also have a laminating machine to make them look more authentic. I leave the originals at home.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 06:47 PM

Gnukid might jump in here soon to remind us that presenting a copy of some documents in Mexico while representing them as originals can and will land you in the calabozo.

Easy to make, color print, laminate but if you get caught WATCHIT amigo.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Gnukid might jump in here soon to remind us that presenting a copy of some documents in Mexico while representing them as originals can and will land you in the calabozo.

Thanks for your concern, Jorge. It already crossed my mind. I write COPY in a clear space right on the front and don't much care if it's detected, but with language differences and unfamiliarity, it probably won't be noticed. On the street, that's the only thing I'd hand a cop.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 07:13 PM
double license

I have gaven away the spare license I think twice now !! Been a while !! wouldnt know about fake documents !! are people using fake ??? for what reason !! clueless in carmel :?:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 09:06 PM

I keep an expired DL on hand and have only had to use it once. It took the officer in Catavina almost 2 hrs to realize it was expired.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 09:13 PM
Ditto more or less

back mid 80s I parked in cabo a few feet short of the green/white curb as to afford my dogs some shade and ran in the store for a minute and came back to cop writing ticket..and then my spanish wasnt the best and I pleaded my case to no avail. so when he wanted cash or stash I gave him a expired dl and drove off..LOL :lol: K&T:cool: " Its a short run,,,have fun with It "

[Edited on 11-20-2012 by captkw]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 09:36 PM

Quote:

Actually, copies of most documents are legal, for example the car reg can/should be copied-leave the original and title at home, the visa, insurance can be copies, and I also make a copy of the passport and DL and put them in a manilla envelope so that I can hand the cop the whole shebang plus a few other docs like an incident report form, articulo 106 and emergency fraud contact numbers plus friends and family. Also carry a carta de no molesta which is a nice letter from a high level person stating you are trustworthy, for example write the letter and bring it to a parade or bar and ask a politician to sign it.

The digital copies of these documents should also be emailed to yourself and a friend/family in case of emergency.

The only original required for a stop is DL, but if you show the original and hand a copy, I feel you meet the requirement.

FYI the reg will have a reference to the sticker id number for CA DMV and these should match... Mex cops like to check this match.

The police are reuqired to show their identification as well, whcih of course they will refuse and there you have them on the run, they must show multiple forms of their id, most refuse and walk away USA/Mexico--25 years and no tickets and no successful mordida!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 09:56 PM

I've carried a 'throw away' license for years. gave it to a cop in Constitucion who insisted on holding it, then didn't want to give it back until I came to the station "tomorrow" to pay the fine for my imaginary infraction. I told him I had to get to La Paz but I would be back in three or four days and would stop by then. he gave up and handed it back to me, waving me on.
mine is legitimate, result of a pickpocket taking my wallet years ago in San Francisco. I made a police report, and with that was able to get a duplicate license...AZ even used the same photo. when wonder of wonders my wallet was found, sans cash and credit cards but with DL, it was returned to me, again, since I'd filed the report and they had an address for me.
so it's perfectly legal, I guess, until it expires..

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Actually, copies of most documents are legal,

THanks, Paul. Good to know.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:56 AM

Kid, when I lie, you're suppose to swear to it. That's the way it works.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 09:23 AM

I also do what Dennis does

I have a Dup. DL that the wife printed up and laminated,
you really cant tell the difference
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 12:02 PM

Along the same line, anyone ever carry/used a throw
away wallet? I've NEVER seen the need to in Mex,
but have read of a few who carry one, I assume there
are situations when one would come in handy, in order
to have something worthless to give to a raton
when threatened, maybe a little overkill
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Kid, when I lie, you're suppose to swear to it. That's the way it works.

Goes without sayin'. :biggrin:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 12:46 PM
ca. DL

Am I the only one that thinks its not funny but every 4 yrs you are no longer " valid" what great birthday !!!! K&T:cool:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 01:11 PM

The first time I heard of a throw away wallet, un-traveled youth I was, I was amazed. My NYC girlfriend had the fake ID, credit cards that came with junk mail, and a five wrapped around a few singles which she could throw at a mugger, and get a few steps head start!:light:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 05:33 PM

still waiting for the puke to pull me over so i can hand out my old one! i've had a duplicate DL since i lost my original 3 years ago. about the same time as the new arrived in the mail i magically found the old one......

maybe i'm too good of a driver to need 2 DL's?

:lol::light::biggrin::P

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Along the same line, anyone ever carry/used a throw
away wallet? I've NEVER seen the need to in Mex,
but have read of a few who carry one, I assume there
are situations when one would come in handy, in order
to have something worthless to give to a raton
when threatened, maybe a little overkill

I carry one. Replete with photos, pesos and my dupe DL. Never used it but carry it anyway. Expect to one day.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.