Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: immigration presentation in Loreto today
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:28 PM
immigration presentation in Loreto today

attended a presentation today on the new immigration law given by Lic J.E. Beaulne, LLB of Can-Am-Mex law firm out of La Paz. my head is still hurting from all the data covered in the two hour presentation, but I thought I'd share one important factoid:
every foreigner in Mexico, regardless of whatever other document he/she possessed...such as the old FM 2/3 or the new Temporary or Permanent Resident card...must have a valid FMM. (on entry, when the latter documents are presented along with the filled out FMM form, the immigration officer does not put # of days allowed in country)
get at point of entry. only. surrender at point of exit, whether by air, land or sea. repeat for subsequent in's and out's. must also be presented, with copy, when applying for whatever resident status.
don't shoot the messenger. am just repeating the lawyer's reading of the law.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:42 PM

My next door neighbor went to his agent yesterday to start the process for his eighth year and the agent said no one in Imm has any idea what's happening.
Bottom line...the neighbor paid 600 bucks and six months of bank statements to end his relationship with Imm....forever. [that's what they told him anyway]
His monthly income is less than the published requirement.

I think Mexico has reached new heights of confusion with this one and local interpretation will be available....for a price.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:49 PM

:light::bounce::?:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
My next door neighbor went to his agent yesterday to start the process for his eighth year and the agent said no one in Imm has any idea what's happening.
Bottom line...the neighbor paid 600 bucks and six months of bank statements to end his relationship with Imm....forever. [that's what they told him anyway]
His monthly income is less than the published requirement.

I think Mexico has reached new heights of confusion with this one and local interpretation will be available....for a price.

sounds like he applied for a Permanent Resident Card. which is the only way to end the INM relationship. but published price for that is about 3800 pesos. bank statements required, published income requirement about 28k US/yr. owning property valued above 250k also counts. although the exact amount has yet to be set.
the lawyer presented the law as written. local INM will interpret but all the supporting documents/requests/bank statements are sent to Mexico (City) for processing and they can be approved, kicked back for more info, or denied. until the card is in hand, you've got nothing.
confusion always reigns...we'll have to give it time to sort out.

[Edited on 11-21-2012 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit

owning property valued above 250k also counts. although the exact amount has yet to be set.

Now that you mention it, he did say something about owning property, which he does......an eight thousand dollar mobile home on leased land, but I suppose that can be embellished a bit.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
attended a presentation today on the new immigration law given by Lic J.E. Beaulne, LLB of Can-Am-Mex law firm out of La Paz. my head is still hurting from all the data covered in the two hour presentation, but I thought I'd share one important factoid:
every foreigner in Mexico, regardless of whatever other document he/she possessed...such as the old FM 2/3 or the new Temporary or Permanent Resident card...must have a valid FMM. (on entry, when the latter documents are presented along with the filled out FMM form, the immigration officer does not put # of days allowed in country)
get at point of entry. only. surrender at point of exit, whether by air, land or sea. repeat for subsequent in's and out's. must also be presented, with copy, when applying for whatever resident status.
don't shoot the messenger. am just repeating the lawyer's reading of the law.

THe new law states that no person may be in posession of two forms of visa at the same time, just as always. I would say this is wrong or a misunderstanding. Call the 800 number to check before you risk such a big mistake. My understanding is that the application for temporal or permanente is a valid FMM for up to 180 days. Of course I am no expert like your pal the lawyer. I'll check and report back with some hot chicks from INM in DF!
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 08:29 PM

hhhmmm, well, according to what this lawyer told you, the FMM thing sounds like the reverse from what FM2 & 3 holders were supposed to do under the old rules, which was that you had to fill out a form when leaving Mexico and surrender it on return. So all of us with an FM2 or 3 who came back to Mexico after a trip to the States or Canada (or wherever) before implementation of the new regs.....we are in violation of the new law because we don't have an FMM? Seems a bit much to me - I'm taking this all with a big grain of salt - yes, give it time to sort out.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 09:44 PM

This is getting completely crazy.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 10:15 PM

I flew out of Mexico City on Saturday and when I cleared immigration they had me fill out an FMM form and anotar my FM2 number in box # 10.

[Edited on 11-21-2012 by monoloco]
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
The new law states that no person may be in posession of two forms of visa at the same time, just as always.

The FMM isn't a visa, it's an record of entry/exit (like an I-94 for the US).

See question 10 on the front of the FMM: "If you are a resident foreigner write down the number of [your] FM2 or FM3 or immigrant photocard". Which matches what monoloco said.

It's always been intended since those forms were launched in March 2010 that everybody should fill them in, but it's not been enforced at the land borders (and will be a real pain when it is).

Rob

[Edited on 2012-11-21 by Riom]

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Quote:
The new law states that no person may be in posession of two forms of visa at the same time, just as always.

The FMM isn't a visa, it's an record of entry/exit (like an I-94 for the US).

See question 10 on the front of the FMM: "If you are a resident foreigner write down the number of [your] FM2 or FM3 or immigrant photocard". Which matches what monoloco said.

It's always been intended since those forms were launched in March 2010 that everybody should fill them in, but it's not been enforced at the land borders (and will be a real pain when it is).

Rob

[Edited on 2012-11-21 by Riom]

THe tarjeta isn't a visa technically either. The tone of the statement seemed incorrect, that is that you shoudl go through the effort to get a temporal or permanente tarjeta and then you should go through the process of getting a FMM just as everyone else does anyway, implying costs and time and effort to carry one as well, whihc makes the effort to get the other form somewht redundant. So now a person who is here ona permanente must stop and fil out these forms at evry crossng like a tourists? I am sure there is some truth in what may have been said it just doesn't make sense that's all but that is mexico.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
So now a person who is here ona permanente must stop and fil out these forms at evry crossng like a tourists? I am sure there is some truth in what may have been said it just doesn't make sense that's all but that is mexico.

That won't be happening.....especially at the San Ysidro gate. It would affect thousands of drivers every day.
Besides, how would one tell the difference between a card carrying resident and a day-tripper?
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 08:50 AM

Here's a pretty good "plain language" description of what the new regulations say. Although, I'm still not sure what it will mean to me.

http://www.yucatanexpatriateservices.com/resident-services/new-immigration-laws-2012.html

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 09:49 AM

Thanks for that, Monoloco. The procedure you went through in Mexico City sounds pretty much like the way it worked before.

And thanks ncampion - that website is very helpful.

With all due respect to the lawyer who spoke in Loreto, I can't help but think that he got it backwards regarding the FMM requirement for holders of an FM 2 or 3 or for holders of the Temporary or Permanent Resident cards. Right, that is one lawyer's reading of the law, and I would definitely get a second opinion on that reading before taking it as the gospel truth. Just sayin.....that's my 2 cents.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 11:35 AM

I'll be getting the mainland angle next week. At least, we're gonna head to the office and see what they say about what we can apply for.

Both of us have No Inmigrante cards; I am entering my 3rd year and my wife her 5th year. We hope to apply for Residente Permanente cards.

She SHOULD qualify by virtue of having had the FM3/No Inmigrante card for four years, according to the new regs. I am going to try the purported new method of proving sufficient income to qualify, without going through another two years of Residente Temporal.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I am going to try the purported new method of proving sufficient income to qualify, without going through another two years of Residente Temporal.

Property ownership is also a factor, Hook.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Here's a pretty good "plain language" description of what the new regulations say. Although, I'm still not sure what it will mean to me.

http://www.yucatanexpatriateservices.com/resident-services/new-immigration-laws-2012.html

This is from the linked site. It just has to be wrong:

"The permanent resident visa will be valid for one hundred and eighty calendar days with a single entry."
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 05:17 PM

There may be a whole bunch of constipated folks who live here and will now have to ditch those South Dakota plates in favor of importing their cars and obtaining BCS or BCN plates.

I hope this does not apply for the "free" zone of Baja California.

E gads....now what?

I saw chatter about that in the comments section of that website provided. It's not clear?..maybe not?

[Edited on 11-22-2012 by DaliDali]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
There may be a whole bunch of constipated folks who live here and will now have to ditch those South Dakota plates in favor of importing their cars and obtaining BCS or BCN plates.

I hope this does not apply for the "free" zone of Baja California.

E gads....now what?

I saw chatter about that in the comments section of that website provided. It's not clear?..maybe not?

[Edited on 11-22-2012 by DaliDali]

That's the first I've heard of that. I think it would be more distressing for the locals with US plated cars, the Chocolates. [that's the cars....not the locals]

[Edited on 11-22-2012 by DENNIS]
Scorpimon
Junior Nomad

Mood: Irie

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 05:31 PM

The Residencia Permanente Visa is good for only 180 days, meaning you have only 180 days to apply at your INM in Mexico or it will expire.

I communicated with the Director of the BCS Tramites Migratorios INM office in Cabo San Lucas today and they documented the process that I will have to follow when I get to Loreto with my new Residencia Permanente Visa. In Loreto I must exchange the Visa in my passport for my new migratory card, which should take about 10 days because it is printed in Mexico City and mailed to Loreto via Estafeta.

I will have to get an FMM when I cross the border into Mexico. This will have to be submitted to the Loreto INM office along with the following documents.

Original and photocopy of my passport.

Formato Basico, the form filled out with my general information provided by the office in Loreto.

Payment for the Residencia Permanente card.

Photographs as usual.

Sounds easy enough but who knows. This information comes from the bosses of the Loreto INM office in Cabo.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.