BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is it about Baja dogs?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:15 PM
What is it about Baja dogs?

We see them all the time. On the side of the road, laying in the shade, digging through the trash.....Baja dogs, usually some shade of brown, medium height, skinny, some shepherd pit bull doberman dachshund cross. Sometimes they look at us through sad tormented eyes, hoping for some food, some attention, maybe a little love.

We see them but we look away, we're in a hurry, have places to go, things to do. We can't do anything anyway, we already have a dog, we can't afford another one, besides, if I were to get a dog it wouldn't be a sorry looking mutt like that. I'll bet it belongs to someone anyway....it's standing along the highway looking scared, starving and alone but surely somewhere nearby a loving family is putting out a bowl of food for it.

What is it about Baja dogs that tug at our heart strings, get in our heads, make us feel ashamed?.....

We had a busy day planned today, going to Cabo. Need groceries at Walmart and Cosco, picking up frontline for the cats, looking at tile for the new house, having lunch with my sweetheart somewhere new....lots to do.

A few miles before San Jose I saw something on the side of the road, my eyes saw it but I couldn't believe it. It was a puppy, not a small young dog but a puppy, maybe 8 weeks old. Although I only caught a glimpse of it I could see that it was starving. I hit the brakes, went back and stopped in the middle of the road. She was tiny, scared, shaking, starving and smelled terrible....like something dead. I picked her up, handed her to Jill and looked around for any more that might be in the area. We started back toward Los Barriles and about 50 feet down the road I saw what appeared to be her mother dead off the side of the road. She had obviously been dead for some time and it was undoubtedly the source of the smell on the puppy.

Jill cradled the puppy in her arms and held her close, Cacahuate wasn't too happy about it. The trip to Cabo was cancelled and we headed back to town to get her some help. Jill poured some water in the palm of her hand and the puppy went crazy trying to drink it, it broke my heart to think what this poor puppy had been through.

We picked up some food for her and took her to the vet that works with ALMA in Los Barriles. We had to wait a while for the vet to arrive so we had a chance to give her a little food and take some pictures.

We were just adopted by a Baja dog and think it would be selfish to keep this one too. We are certain that someone will snap her up pretty quick but were hoping that a Nomad might be willing to give her a loving home. This little girl is going to be the love of some lucky person's life.....maybe yours?

We will be heading north to San Diego on the 15th of December. If anybody is interested in being adopted by her we could bring her to you but you have to act quick, she won't last long. Let me know asap and I will get her for you......

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:23 PM

Thank you for what you've done to save this girl's life. IMO Baja dogs, for the most part, are smart and the most loyal dogs ever. My theory is that it's survival of the fittest. The smart ones make it, and are forever grateful for being given the opportunity to live. I've had the honor of being owned by two baja dogs.

Thank you again for what you've done and are willing to do to give this puppy a chance at living a good life and being a part of someone's family.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:26 PM

Let me know when you are going to pass through Ensenada. I will meet you and give you some $$$ for her care and expenses. We are just off the highway.

On edit........I think Woody was looking for a Baja dog a while back. This looks like the perfect one for him!!!!!

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by bajaguy]

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:35 PM

Good save DT. I'll ask around here in SD.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:40 PM
u r killing me with dig pics !!

what a lil cutie !! btw again you folks cant do no wrong !! I'll never forget before bringing the ex/W on her 1st trip to bcs.. told her about the baja dogs (alot more then) that it would be hard to see all these B/dogs and not get torn up inside !! yep,,its a old storey...when you look into their eyes and you just have to do something if your human to help um out !!! Wish I could save the world...but,I cant!! but I can help somehow !! and a dog is a great start!!!!:bounce:...BTW,that will be a good looking lil lady,,I know these things !!!!

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by captkw]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:48 PM
paulina//Baja dogs !!

Amen ,,,To all !! my newest B/d is amazing smart !! K&T PS..paulina..I'm on B/d #4 and thinking a pair is better than a empty house !!! for a while I had three at the same for 5/6 yrs and was some of the best times of my life !! All very well trained and mannerd !! Take my job,boat, truck....But dont even think Of hurting my baja dog !!!!! Thats a just Me !! K&T

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
On edit........I think Woody was looking for a Baja dog a while back. This looks like the perfect one for him!!!!!

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by bajaguy]

My thoughts exactly when I picked her up, u2u sent....

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:39 PM
a thousand blessings to you all

What an exquisitely tender little girl
and what hugely grand, deep and exquisitely tender hearts are you and Jill's.

Thank you for your goodness, and thank ALMA for its generosity.
Keep us all in the loop about this young life.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:56 AM
Baja dogs

DT, That puppy hit the lotto when you drove by. Now some lucky person will also hit the lotto taking her. Baja dogs are very loyal, always remember where they came from and make the best pets.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 10:01 AM

good fer u guys!....looks like you've got yer hands full now...so do we; we just got another jack russell pup..headed down with her this week..stop by on your way north. m

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 10:35 AM

I applaud what you have done. We have 3 dogs and they are just like kids to us, it makes me sick every time I see a Baja dog suffering, I wish I could take them all home with me and find good dog loving families to adopt them. As sad as it may seem when you see a dog in Baja struggling to survive I have to wonder if it's any worse than the family up here that gets a dog puts it on a chain and slides it a bowl of food each day! Not much love there:( And lets face it thats all a dog wants~our love, and maybe a little food too.

Live Indubiously!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
And lets face it thats all a dog wants~our love, and maybe a little food too.

oh, they want many other things too... for example, the young ones want to chew your shoes! in fact they want to chew most everything they think you don't want chewed :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 12:34 PM

Good on you for that...hope she finds a good home. Extra Nomad karma points coming your way.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 04:19 PM

DT and Jill,
you sure have a way with moving up on my list of most favorite Nomads.:yes::yes:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 09:59 AM

Good on 'ya. Can't take her, but I'll be making a donation to ALMA.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 02:08 PM

I'd really like her but I spend 4/7ths of my weeks out of town working. It isn't cool for a dog to be left alone all day and then expect her to be my buddy on the weekends.... BTW, I'm surprised my wife is still hanging around!:lol:

Thanks DT for thinking of me, I still "want" a Baja dog to find me someday.....

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by woody with a view]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for considering her woody, I'll pass the word on to the ALMA folks. I'm sure she will be adopted soon....dt

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl
Good on 'ya. Can't take her, but I'll be making a donation to ALMA.

Thank you windgirl, I'm going to do the same. They have saved so many animals here and can use all the help that they can get....dt

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 02:45 PM
Dang!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
I'd really like her but I spend 4/7ths of my weeks out of town working. It isn't cool for a dog to be left alone all day and then expect her to be my buddy on the weekends.... BTW, I'm surprised my wife is still hanging around!:lol:

Thanks DT for thinking of me, I still "want" a Baja dog to find me someday.....

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by woody with a view]

That's a Woody dog if I have ever seen one!!!!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.