Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tequila stories
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 11:22 AM
Tequila stories

Several years back we were sitting in the Pelican bar in Mulege, it was December and there was a nice little fire going. I had been out fishing that day trying find the yellowtails but didn't have much luck so I figured I might drown my sorrows with a couple cervezas and some tequila.
I'd been sitting there for a little bit when this old mexican fellow wearing a straw hat with a scorpion ornament on it comes in and sits on the stool next to me, I gave him the standard "Buenos Noches" he nodded and orderd a beer. I sat there for a moment, looking around the room and this guy from the corner of my eye, his presence was comfortable and I was compelled to talk with him however I only speak a little spanish, just enough to get me by in a restaurant or gas station, not conversational, yet I wanted to talk with him.
I ordered myself a Don Julio to go with my beer and I turned to the old guy and asked "tequila", "Si" he replied with a nod and Scotty poured him a Don Julio, again he nodded and said "gracias". Silence followed for a few minutes while he sipped his tequila, me being the typical gringo I slammed mine back and ordered another. I watched the old guy sip, sip, sip, and I was thinking thats not how you drink tequila and I slammed mine and ordered another. Shortly after finishing my third I noticed the old boys was gone so I ordered up my fourth and asked if he wanted another, he nodded. Scotty set us up again. When the drinks were poured he turned toward me and started talking in spanish and oddly enough even with my limited spanish I was pretty sure I knew what he was saying! I listened and nodded my yes's and no's but I wasn't quite ready to start talking.
Scotty mas tequilas por favor. Watching the old guy sip the tequila I new if I kept my pace I'd be on the floor so I started sipping too, Mmmmm I never really noticed the taste of tequila before, sweet with a hint of smoke pretty good stuff, this guy had it right sipping is where its at.
After sitting and sipping for awhile the glow I had gave me the courage to speak, I fumbled through trying to ask the guy if he liked fishing, I was pretty sure I screwed it all up but to my amazement he nodded and started talking back about fishing. During the tequila haze that followed we had a great conversation about fishing, he told me his favorite spots, when and how to fish them and I understood! I didn't know why but the tequila was helping me understand.
After another hour or so I knew I needed to get back to the RV before I had to be carried so I thanked him for the conversation and remarked I hoped to talk with him again.
I got up the next morning a little late with a fat head but still decided to go fishing with all of this new knowledge. We headed south around the point and I started looking for the land marks the old guy had told me about and at first I didn't see any of them so I started to wonder about the whole thing but then there was a rock aligned with the cactus on shore just like he had said, we pulled up and started fishing, whack! FISH ON! We had a great day fishing based on the spots he told me about.
I've never seen the guy in Scorpion hat again but I still sip
my tequila.

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by castaway$]

Live Indubiously!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Several years back we were sitting in the Pelican bar in Mulege, it was December and there was a nice little fire going. I had been out fishing that day trying find the yellowtails but didn't have much luck so I figured I might drown my sorrows with a couple cervezas and some tequila.
I'd been sitting there for a little bit when this old mexican fellow wearing a straw hat with a scorpion ornament on it comes in and sits on the stool next to me, I gave him the standard "Buenos Noches" he nodded and orderd a beer. I sat there for a moment, looking around the room and this guy from the corner of my eye, his presence was comfortable and I was compelled to talk with him however I only speak a little spanish, just enough to get me by in a restaurant or gas station, not conversational, yet I wanted to talk with him.
I ordered myself a Don Julio to go with my beer and I turned to the old guy and asked "tequila", "Si" he replied with a nod and Scotty poured him a Don Julio, again he nodded and said "gracias". Silence followed for a few minutes while he sipped his tequila, me being the typical gringo I slammed mine back and ordered another. I watched the old guy sip, sip, sip, and I was thinking thats not how you drink tequila and I slammed mine and ordered another. Shortly after finishing my third I noticed the old boys was gone so I ordered up my fourth and asked if he wanted another, he nodded. Scotty set us up again. When the drinks were poured he turned toward me and started talking in spanish and oddly enough even with my limited spanish I was pretty sure I knew what he was saying! I listened and nodded my yes's and no's but I wasn't quite ready to start talking.
Scotty mas tequilas por favor. Watching the old guy sip the tequila I new if I kept my pace I'd be on the floor so I started sipping too, Mmmmm I never really noticed the taste of tequila before, sweet with a hint of smoke pretty good stuff, this guy had it right sipping is where its at.
After sitting and sipping for awhile the glow I had gave me the courage to speak, I fumbled through trying to ask the guy if he liked fishing, I was pretty sure I screwed it all up but to my amazement he nodded and started talking back about fishing. During the tequila haze that followed we had a great conversation about fishing, he told me his favorite spots, when and how to fish them and I understood! I didn't know why but the tequila was helping me understand.
After another hour or so I knew I needed to get back to the RV before I had to be carried so I thanked him for the conversation and remarked I hoped to talk with him again.
I got up the next morning a little late with a fat head but still decided to go fishing with all of this new knowledge. We headed south around the point and I started looking for the land marks the old guy had told me about and at first I didn't see any of them so I started to wonder about the whole thing but then there was a rock aligned with the cactus on shore just like he had said, we pulled up and started fishing, whack! FISH ON! We had a great day fishing based on the spots he told me about.
I've never seen the guy in Scorpion hat again but I still sip
my tequila.

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by castaway$]

I liked this story. Think there's room for every kind of tequila drinking. Sip, chugg, mouthful (mine), with lime without. Thanks for writing this.

I wear reading glasses and half way through the story, I looked away a couple times, lost my place, had to go back to the line before, focus on what the last couple words were, scroll down trying to pick up the next words, hunting the sentences.

Would future writers consider using about 6 or so sentences and then skipping a line for a new paragraph? I'll be able to understand more in less time and frustration. Thanks.

Might be my screen. Don't have trouble with books.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 04:22 PM

I remember a Pelican Bar on, I believe the second
floor of the La Mision Hotel in Loreto. My wife was
in P Vallarta a few yrs. back, observed a Gringo at the bar, betting another patron he could drink a bottle, either a
5th or qt., in one continous motion, the guy
did just that, sounds impressive. I always thought the Agave plant,
was a cactus, ran across info it is not, more like a Yucca,
Joshua tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave
I'm refering to my first time down the peninsula, '83-'85, Mision Hotel on
the malecon, of sorts, in Loreto, the drinking incident
was in PV, Old town

[Edited on 11-30-2012 by sancho]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
betting another patron he could drink a bottle, either a
did just that,

He's lucky he didn't fall off the barstool...dead. :o
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
in P Vallarta a few yrs. back, observed a Gringo at the bar, betting another patron he could drink a bottle, either a
Joshua tree
hmmmm, I always thought it was more in the lily family. anyway I used to have this straw hat with a scorpion on it, man did I get alot of quality booze wearin that thing....
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:42 PM

I think of the tequila plant as aloevera for your guts......
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:45 PM

I know OSPREY knows that sentences need to be properly spaced in order to retain the reader's interest.
That is why his writings are so well read and popular with NOMADS.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I wear reading glasses and half way through the story, I looked away a couple times, lost my place, had to go back to the line before, focus on what the last couple words were, scroll down trying to pick up the next words, hunting the sentences.

Would future writers consider using about 6 or so sentences and then skipping a line for a new paragraph? I'll be able to understand more in less time and frustration. Thanks.

Might be my screen. Don't have trouble with books.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:52 PM

BTW:

I'm one of those who has difficulty reading more than three paragraphs that are on the computer screen, so I generally print the entire piece, and therefore able to read without losing my place.:light::bounce::light:

Udo

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Joshua tree

I tossed quite a few at that bar. Gone but not forgotten.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
BTW:

I'm one of those who has difficulty reading more than three paragraphs that are on the computer screen, so I generally print the entire piece, and therefore able to read without losing my place.:light::bounce::light:

Udo , do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse? If you do you can set it to scroll one line at a time .

Saves ink.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
BTW:

Whenever I come across something I want to read but is not easy on older eyes (no paragraph breaks or odd colors like electric blue on black background) I just cut & paste the whole thing onto a Word doc.....and break it up into readable chunks .

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
did just that, sounds impressive.

Doubtful !! In the first place, this bar has been closed for many years. I'm talking early 90's. Had some clever bartenders there, who were probably in cahoots with one of the bettors and supplied some iced tea. Even that would be tough to drink in one motion. However, if you want to kill yourself, that's a novel way to do it.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 11:02 PM

I learned to drink it like a Mexican years ago, I still find a way to drink too much of it though....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
did just that, sounds impressive.

Doubtful !! In the first place, this bar has been closed for many years. I'm talking early 90's. Had some clever bartenders there, who were probably in cahoots with one of the bettors and supplied some iced tea. Even that would be tough to drink in one motion. However, if you want to kill yourself, that's a novel way to do it.:biggrin::biggrin:

Right. I think the hotel closed in 1994??
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 09:13 AM

I have a scroll finger on my Mac mouse, and if it does, I have no idea on how to set it to read one line at a time, Kacey.

Quote:
Originally posted by KaceyJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
BTW:

Udo , do you have a scroll wheel on your mouse? If you do you can set it to scroll one line at a time .

Saves ink.

Udo

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 09:39 AM

My rotarian friends in La Paz keep their tequila in the freezer. They say it's better for sipping that way.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 10:02 AM

Needless to say I have a few raucous tequila tales but my all time favorite is from Yelapa close to Puerto Vallarta when I was in my early 20's.

Some amigos from a sailboat I was crewing on rented a casa in Yelapa and our first night there we went to the "disco" which was just a cement slab with a palapa over it and a small bar.

To get there we had to cross a little arroyo...when we got to the hoppin place called Club de Yates we asked if they had tequila. A rather devious smile crossed the rather hunky waiter's face as he asked me to come over to the bar. From under the bar, he pulled out an ominous looking jug and whispered Ricea...huh? OK, whatever...my spanish wasnt so great but I understood it was a local moonshine tequila made from a special cactus.

We had a few shots and some beer, danced a bit then decided to go back to the casita for more pesos. The tide has risen so there was water up to our... I cant remember where....

the next bit was a tad blurry but when I got back to the dance floor...I was dancing up a storm as was everyone else on the packed floor. After awhile I glanced down and realized I had no shorts or shoes on...nada...just my t-shirt which didnt quite cover my unmentionables...ooooops....funny thing was that nobody seemed to notice!

I learned the next day that Ricea has "special" hallucinogenic qualities not unlike magic mushrooms...whoa....now that was good tequila!

the next day I found my flip flops neatly together at the high tide line but never did find my shorts....only in mexico!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
QUETZALCOATL
Nomad

Mood: nublado

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 11:02 AM

My Mexican friends many yrs back showed me this game where ever1 starts out standing and you pass the bottle(s) of tequila tell only 1 person can stand. any1 else played that?

in otin ihuan in tonalin nican tzonquica-Aztec saying for \"here ends the roads and the days\"
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 11:05 AM

The Search for Cien Fuegos

My early Baja runs were from Las Vegas to San Felipe and beyond. In those early, salad days I drove a little too fast – anxious to get to Mexico; really the liquor store in San Felipe. I would literally run from the truck to the front door, eager to see if my favorite tequila, Cien Fuegos was still on the shelf.

For many years I was not disappointed. There it was, the distinctive label captured me like no schmaltzy Madison Avenue ad. Simple, distinctive, descriptive – Hundred Fires; a pastoral scene of Mexican field hands burning the agave heads in the field, getting them ready for the big wagons to haul them to the distillery.

I would load up on the sweet stuff, let the air in the tires down to 19 pounds, bounce and slide my way to the first night’s campsite on the beach. With plenty of ice and gas and provisions I could take my time setting up camp, picking out just the right tunes, laying out the stuff for a nice evening meal. Then it was time for Cien Fuegos. Back then I always had two or three salt shakers, at least one bag of fresh limes, the fancy shot glasses from the gift shops. There was lots of ceremony to the thing. I took my time. The first taste was like electric sugar – the burn (if there was one) was not pain but some teasing titillation to the tongue and palate. As much as I loved the taste, the sensation, the ceremony meant I took the elixir in small, neat sips and usually by dinner time I really had not put much of a dent in the big bottle.

And so it went. I rarely missed a meal because of my love of the stuff; I will admit to some sloppy midnight dinners but back then that was just part of the deal.

Then came the fateful day in San Felipe that my Cien Fuegos was not on the shelf. I bought some Herradura Blanca and went sadly on my way. The nights were just as misty warm, the sunrises just as breathtaking but something was missing. At each little pueblo or store at a road crossing I would look for my favorite, ask the counterman if they still make it, can he get it, when was the last he saw it, etc.

Over the years my romance with rustic Mexico waned and my love of sportfishing changed the way I visited Baja California. No more camping. Airplanes to where the fish were biting. Sleeping in beds, in air conditioned rooms. Drinks at “the bar”. When I asked the bartenders about Cien Fuegos their eyes glazed over, they shook their heads and laughed at the funny gringo.

Things change. Now that I’ve moved to Baja Sur I buy Herradura Hornitos at Costco, sip it from any handy cup – no salt, no lime.

The music stayed. That part of the ceremony will never die – it goes with the smoky taste, the sound of the surf, the starlight from my hammock on the patio. If I close my eyes I can almost smell the acrid smoke from fires in some far off field.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 02:23 PM

Herradura Hornitos? I thought Ol Horny toes was Sauza.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.