Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 11:30 AM

big eye trevally?? very cool shot!:o
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 11:43 AM
Ah pulmo

was a great camping fishing spot a few years ago...not today..the locals have it all messed up !!! those Jack's are a tough,strong fighter.. I belive the name is "El toro" and have caught them by hand when they ran up on the beach after a bait ball...have pics of south cobo pulmo to show..that was a crazy morning... K&T:cool: PS..thx wally nice vid!!!!! till about 6/7 years ago I would camp just north of the ramp at the very far north of the bay...Tito & sons were like Family ...what a shame:(:(

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by captkw]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 12:57 PM
Whistler

Your right,,I remember the meat was very,very dark and cooked some and even the dogs wouldnt touch it !! but they put up a hell of fun fight from the beach..LOL..BTW are you from whistler canada ?? K&T...PS ..thats why I called them Jacks..tough and stamina like a old chevy truck!!

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by captkw]
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 03:35 PM

Got a chance to see the fish tornado off while on a snorkel trip off of Cabo Pulmo. Very cool. The guide said they were big eye jacks (horse eye jacks?) slightly different that Toros.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 07:13 PM

Fishbase says horse-eyed jacks don't occur in the pacific:

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Caranx-latus.html

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 07:21 PM

I guess its all in who you ask!:lol:

Bigeye Jack, Bigeye Trevally, Bigeye Crevalle Jack
Jurel Ojogordo
(Caranx sexfasciatus)

Bigeye Jack, Caranx sexfasciatus: The Bigeye Jack is characterized by its very large eyes and elongated body with a widely forked tail. It is blue-green on top and silvery below, with an elongated body, a very large eye, a small black dot at the top of the gill cover, and dark scutes along the straight portion of the lateral line. Its dorsal and anal fin tips are white, and its caudal fin is yellowish to black.

This fish species is pelagic and widely distributed across the central Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans, from Africa, throughout Micronesia, and to the Eastern Pacific south to Ecuador. It forms large inshore schools.

Distribution in Mexico fishing areas
In Mexican fishing waters , the Bigeye Jack is found in the Los Cabos area of Baja California Sur, north along Baja's Cortez coast to Santa Rosalia, and in the coastal waters of mainland Mexico from Mazatlan south to Guatemala. It is also common to all offshore islands including the Tres Marias and Revillagigedos.

The Bigeye Jack is reported to reach up to 3.5-feet in length, and is found up to 200 feet deep. It travels in large schools and frequents reefs in search of small fish for food.

It is abundant on the Cabo Pulmo Reef where it is seen in massive schools and is preyed upon by Sea Lions. The fish is of keen interest to scuba divers. Its food value is considered “marginal” by locals.

This is is a member of the Carangidae or Jack Family.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 07:23 PM
your guide (guia)

I would say needs more time on the sea !!! I have spent a hell of a lot of time in that area with boats and fishing and diving and snorkleing and I have only seen the El toro's..Jack ceravelle...but no matter glad you saw a tornado.. I have seen a lot of cool stuff but have not had that pleasure yet !!! K&T Ex guide and fish burgler
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 08:13 PM
AMAZING PHOTO!

What a rush that must have been!
M

Looking for new adventures now; Always...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.