BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: It's A Shame To Have To Drive 600 MIles
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 01:36 PM
It's A Shame To Have To Drive 600 MIles

But it looks like I must do it, just to buy one medication. The medicine is TRAMADOL 50mg, and it is not available in Asuncion, Vizcaino, Guerrero Negro, nor Santa Rosalia. Farmacias Similares is OUT OF STOCK in GN and Sta Rosalia.

Price is 40 pesos a box of 10 capsules in Farmacias Similares. I use 4 capsules a day, A hundred twenty per month. 12 boxes.

Local farmacias sell it at a prices ranging from 260 to 480 pesos per 10 capsules. This is stupidly beyond my meager pension allowance. The least expensive is SIX TIMES that of Farmacias Similares.

I need to know if Farmacias Similares in LORETO has this medicine in stock. Six boxes or more if they have it. Then i will plan a long trip to go get it. Sometimes someone in the farmacia has a cell phone. But i have no access to getting it.

This medicine is NOT controlado NOT controlled. It is OTC without a prescription. Either 50 or 100 mg per capsule or pill can be used.

Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Bodega Aurrera In Cabo San Lucas, and Ensenada has MEDI-MART, brand, tramadol in both strengths at a good price but they are what a thousand mile round trip?

The LORETO Farmacias Similares telephone number would be a huge assit. Again, their price is 40 pesos per box. TRAMADOL 50 mg.

Mil Gracias! Diez Mil Gracias!!!

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 02:20 PM

David, the # for the similares store here in Loreto is
01 613 135 0071

Tried to send you the URL of their site, but didn't work. Just Google it and find their 2 places here in Loreto.

[Edited on 12-27-2012 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 02:24 PM

David.....I thought you were going to relocate north. Did you sht-can that plan?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 02:26 PM

Cant you use one of the private buses going by to take care of this? Just figure out when they stop in Vizcaino and BE THERE.

Our vet uses buses all the time to send blood samples down to a lab a couple hours below here. Maybe a good samaritan in Loreto will look into this for you.

Dont know about how you will handle the money aspect.........

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 02:40 PM

unless that nomad is a doctor...they shouldn't get involved

there are "side effects" to this opiate

i know he's "hooked" but this is a medical issue not a BajaNomad topic

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

What's the big deal. I asked my doctor by e mail what meds would be available for a pinced nerve in my neck, and that was the one he came up with. Googled it, and didn't like the side effects listed, so I passed. Simple procedure with all the info available on the net.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 02:52 PM

Hooked? Gone 2 weeks without it. Bob, yours was an inappropriate comment IMHO. There are many side-effects with many medications. TRAMADOL is about as addicting as TYLENOL.

I asked for a telephone number not your medical diagnosis. BTW I am en EMT 2, so I believe I know what I am doing here. The medicine is for a herniated # 4 lumbar disc not some fantasy addiction. Without it I have to spend most of the day the day in bed.

If this isn't a general Baja help question I'll eat my sombrero.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 03:05 PM
Vet in Rosarito

Dispenses Tramadol for our dogs.

Talk to your local vet.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 03:08 PM

Quote:

How could you tell he was "hooked"? What clinical symptoms is he exhibiting over the internet?

Sounds like some good chit............no wonder the generic is sold out for 300 miles. :lol:

I didnt know it was for humans. We got some at the vet for pain issues with our dogs, I believe.

Hey, David, maybe check to see if a vet in Vizcaino has it. Tell then it's for your Saint Bernard.

Down, boy, down.........................

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 03:31 PM

DE, A bit astray from your post, are you up on buying/
taking meds from Mex back into the US? Uncontrolled
prescripton. Does one have to have a US prescription
to enter the US? Have heard in the recent past
the need for a Mex prescription also, which probably
is not needed
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 03:53 PM

Quote:

:lol: well bob, what did you use for the pain after falling from the top of the lighthouse and landing on your head?
mes1952
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 04:46 PM

I've bought Tramadol (for dog osteoarthritis & hip dysplasia) at several pharmacies in Rosarito and Tijuana. It is NOT highly addictive as someone posted and is similar to other NSAIDS.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 06:39 PM

Just drive to Loreto, david. Or take the bus. The problem is always how to arrange payment. Part of living in BA, I believe. Some in BA leave town to make purchases for their businesses, verdad. Loreto is beautiful this time of year and just look up some old Amigos. Pay somebody to drive you there--someone who wants to visit family. Think tank needed. I have heard of T-dals merits. Treats pain, I'll have to try it? Tio
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 07:00 PM

I give my dog 50mg 2 X daily of Tramadol when Gringo the Dingo (White Lab) plays to hard. I do not know the cost as the Vet. is a friend of mine.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 07:09 PM
DAVID E

Hola,,I have your three bottles from CVS..have not looked at them but if they are what you need maybe some one can swing by my area for a hand off !!! I live in the monterey bay area and will drive 1hr from here to meet anyone !! or you could stop here and check out the montery bay Aquarium or cannery row,,big basin state park or a host other world class places around here.....Meet the Famous Tasha and help a fellow nomad out !!!K&T:cool:
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-27-2012 at 07:17 PM

d.e......so sad....your medication is available here daily at diegos pharmacy just across the road from el candil here in mulege....i also depend on tramadol to take away my back pain...i have it prescribed in the states....it is NOT ADDICTIVE, thank you so much bob!...but it does take the edge off pain....i've tried all the acceptable pain meds up north and they all are "dependancy" drugs...tough stuff that is hard to get "off " of ....tramadol allows you to at least get a portion of one's day painfree without depending on it the next....so....i'm with you DE and your stuff is here at diego's if and when you like it...p.s....always, always buy the 100mg as you can bite them in half and the price is right...yer getting ripped off up there.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 06:36 AM

All this being said . . . I do think Tramadol is addictive.

My husband hauled Tramadol north for 5 years - taking 4 to 5 100's - time released - a day. This for degenerative disc disease in his spine.

Then came hip replacement surgery. Dr. said off the Tramadol for the recuperation period. Sure thing. Piece of cake. I'm not addicted.

What a crock. It was 2 weeks of pure hell. Your system gets used to having the Tramadol and does not like it when it is taken away. The withdrawals from this medicine was far worse than the after surgery trials and tribulations.

Maybe DE takes enough other medicines to mask the effects of withdrawals or maybe his system is different, but don't be fooled. Tramadol is addictive.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 07:23 AM

good grief people. all he asked was if a medication was available in Loreto, not anyone's opinion of whether or not he should take it. I'll swing by F. Similares today and ask, but it sounds like it's available in Mulege which would be closer.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 11:55 AM

USA prescribed 80 mg, OXYCODONE (20 QID)
Fentanyl patches but did not like
Switched to ORAL MORPHINE 30mg BID
For six months

When I went to Asuncion, I FREAKIN' QUIT. Both medicines. Abruptly. Tried NSAIDS for 3 months, did not work. I could not garden, or move around, or sleep well.
I advised Shari at that time I might appear to be a little shaky. Quitting was a piece of cake. So I switched to TRAMADOL. It is a hell of a lot better than nothing.

Farmacias Similares DOES NOT SELL medicinas controlados. Period. Ever in its history. Medicinas controlados are grades CLAVE I, CLAVE II, o CLAVE III, by Sector Salud. These medications need a valid Rx from a registered Mexican physician que se reten en la farmacia.

TRAMADOL is OTC.

Habituation is accentuated by

a) Propensity of the individual to addiction to opiodes. The word OPIOTES is not a valid term for pharmaceutical opiodes.

b) Strength of dosing. Stronger dosing easier to become habituated

c) Length of time of treatment. Long-term treatment promotes habituation.

"taking 4 to 5 100's" (100mg QID)"
Mula, that is a very, very strong dose of Tramadol, and a long stretch of dosing. I would fear to expose myself to this dosage for that length of time.

DECELERATE if withdrawal symptoms appear. First five, then four doses per day. The after a week or so, three, decelerating to 2, then 1, then none.

But gee, I was smoking four packs a day, and then I quit, and then boy was it hell condemnation is not really an accurate assessment. The same thing holds true with CELEBREX, maximum dosage long-term. Quitting can be hell.

[Edited on 12-28-2012 by DavidE]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 12:08 PM
DAVID E

HOLA,,look up...up three or four posts !! U2U me with a land line that will work from the states,,I have those meds of yours....3 bottles are any of those the ones your asking about ?? if so I'll drive over get them in hand and work the cruisers net to get them to you.. raining,,wet,,cold,, way too much up here to get any work done ,,so I'll be online alot..K&T that guy that works at 7/11 LOL
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.