Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Saltram & Jaguarundis
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 11:30 AM
Saltram & Jaguarundis

Please check your U2U....regarding this species (jaguarundi) in Baja. Please contact me.

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 08:02 PM

Because I think this is very important for Nomads to know, I will post these clips here, as I did before in my petroglyph thread that Saltram mentioned jaguarundis in... I would enjoy seeing some photos that prove they are in Baja! What a cool cat!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 08:06 PM

Have camera traps-will travel....

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 08:40 AM

We have Jaguarundis and Jaguar here in Nayarit. I heard a noise the night I moved into my new home here in Guayabitos so I turned on the outside light and in the middle of my yard starring back at me was 40 pound black cat. After researching I found it to be a Jaguarundis and named my new home "Ek Balam"
Mayan for Black Jaguar....

Last year on a drive back from Puerto Vallarta a juvenile Jaguar ran across the road in front of me, what a thrill..........

I hear the whales song
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 06:52 PM

What I wonder is if they were once a coast to coast cat (Atlantic to California's Pacific)... and the ones Saltram said he saw somewhere in the Seven Sisters side of Hwy. 1, were an island of survivors from the Ice Age, or what?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2013 at 07:04 PM

Actually their range is from South America,Central and Parts of North America,

I believe in SA they are a tan color, in CA they are brownish and in NA they are black...Beside Mexico they have been spotted in Arizona, NM and Texas

I hear the whales song
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:03 AM

Wow thanks for the education. I had no idea of this beautiful animal nor their presence here in Baja. BajaBucko, have you seen them up in your area?
Amazing, yet another excuse to get on one of those mule trips.

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 10:44 AM

While headed into the Sierra San Pedro Martir in 1973 with Bud Bernhard, something ran across the road a head of us maybe 50 yards. It was dusk and my first thought was jaguarundi. I had that animal on the brain and for years after, shuffled it away, knowing that in all probability, it must have been a small teenager cougar. To this very day I've stuck with that opinion (that is was a cougar), having hung out alot with houndsmen in the states and mulled over ideas w wild cat folks.

Now, that said, I can't get that picture out of my head, and on my zillions of mule trips up and down the peninsula, I have spoken w vaqueros on the remotest ranchos I visited. The location of that cat makes it a probable cougar sighting. BUT let's just say this is a work in progress.......(like I really NEED another Baja project...)

Since I have brought up this subject I have received a few notes from people who have described a small darkish cat larger than the feral housecat. Those of you who have reasonably credible observations I have been in touch with. My plan is to set up remote camera traps in certain locations and see what shows up months later.....

My best friend (who's biology professor dad turned me on to hound hunting (bear and big cats) over 40 years ago) has been living in the Russian Far-East for many years and is a key researcher in the Amur Tiger project and also Amur Leopard and small wild cats---we have discussed the jaguarundi numerous times and I have learned bunches about cat research etc. Many times a species is so unimportant that it never shows up on range maps. Sometimes no one ever looks to see if it is there. So.......

The last jaguar (talking the BIG CAT) found and killed in Baja California was in 1955-supposedly in the Sierra San Pedro Martir range. Now THAT'S a strange finding, I recently read in a very old book by a RELIABLE source. That cat is at its northern present range in AZ/NM as it once roamed North America thousands of years ago. I doubt that many were every on the peninsula but reading that and knowing the source, I was very surprised. The little cat called the Jaguarundi is nondescript, a small-game hunter, and I could easlily see it being overlooked. I suspect it is present on the peninsula but considered so unimportant, it is not given any attention by cat people. Mexico does not put much effort in to some things, after all, look at the 1000s of archeological sites on the peninsula and most are sadly ignored/neglected by the gov.

Have camera traps-will travel

BB

PS These camera traps (Bushnell) are not cheap so I buy them one at a time....

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 11:35 AM

Bucko, I told you we have jaguarundi down in East Cape and I offered to help you locate your cameras near where they've been sighted.

I didn't hear back from you. If you talk to other Nomads, they can assure you that the Osprey wouldn't, couldn't lie or exaggerate. Never, ever.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 11:57 AM

Sorry I thought I'd sent you a U2U....I will get back to you

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 05:32 PM

Is this the same feral cat species that still inhabits the hills around Mulege? Can be seen sometimes at night crossing the highway down to the river?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
While headed into the Sierra San Pedro Martir in 1973 with Bud Bernhard, something ran across the road a head of us maybe 50 yards. It was dusk and my first thought was jaguarundi. I had that animal on the brain and for years after, shuffled it away, knowing that in all probability, it must have been a small teenager cougar. To this very day I've stuck with that opinion (that is was a cougar), having hung out alot with houndsmen in the states and mulled over ideas w wild cat folks.

Now, that said, I can't get that picture out of my head, and on my zillions of mule trips up and down the peninsula, I have spoken w vaqueros on the remotest ranchos I visited. The location of that cat makes it a probable cougar sighting. BUT let's just say this is a work in progress.......(like I really NEED another Baja project...)

Since I have brought up this subject I have received a few notes from people who have described a small darkish cat larger than the feral housecat. Those of you who have reasonably credible observations I have been in touch with. My plan is to set up remote camera traps in certain locations and see what shows up months later.....

My best friend (who's biology professor dad turned me on to hound hunting (bear and big cats) over 40 years ago) has been living in the Russian Far-East for many years and is a key researcher in the Amur Tiger project and also Amur Leopard and small wild cats---we have discussed the jaguarundi numerous times and I have learned bunches about cat research etc. Many times a species is so unimportant that it never shows up on range maps. Sometimes no one ever looks to see if it is there. So.......

The last jaguar (talking the BIG CAT) found and killed in Baja California was in 1955-supposedly in the Sierra San Pedro Martir range. Now THAT'S a strange finding, I recently read in a very old book by a RELIABLE source. That cat is at its northern present range in AZ/NM as it once roamed North America thousands of years ago. I doubt that many were every on the peninsula but reading that and knowing the source, I was very surprised. The little cat called the Jaguarundi is nondescript, a small-game hunter, and I could easlily see it being overlooked. I suspect it is present on the peninsula but considered so unimportant, it is not given any attention by cat people. Mexico does not put much effort in to some things, after all, look at the 1000s of archeological sites on the peninsula and most are sadly ignored/neglected by the gov.

Have camera traps-will travel

BB

PS These camera traps (Bushnell) are not cheap so I buy them one at a time....

Please read the Flora and Fauna paragraph, this is a reserve the size of Delaware...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calakmul_Biosphere_Reserve

I hear the whales song
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 06:20 PM
Mulegena

Check yr U2U

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:00 PM

Jaguarundi are not "feral cats". They are a distinct and venerable specie. Just ask Mr. Google. You know him. You love him.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:02 PM

Yes- we are not talking feral cats here....this is a distinct species more closely related to the mountain lion....

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:37 PM

Hang on. I'll ask my husband, born up in these mountains.
... be right back...

ok, he says the locals call these cats leoncillos.
Jaguarundi, Leoncillo. Same animal, different names.

They hunt the goats up in the mountains.
He says there's a taxiderm specimen outside the restaurant right by the church up in San Javier.

He doesn't know that they come down to Mulege, but given the year-round source of fresh water, it makes sense that they would.

Dr. Lorraine Sellers, the veterinarian who lived on the river for many years, spoke of a feral cat which, tho' scarce, roamed at night. It has a different pawprint, I believe. No, we're not talking big feral domestic cats.

I'll look into this further. I'm getting intrigued!

Here's a link: http://www.fotonostra.com/albums/animales/jaguarundi.htm

[Edited on 2-2-2013 by Mulegena]
Edited again to add this link for clarification. This is the ring-tailed raccoon that lives down here in the hills around the Mulege river. It does look somewhat like a housecat, its nocturnal and consequently is rarely seen. The ring-tailed cat is not what BajaBucko is searching; its not a jaguarundi/leoncillo.
http://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Ringtai...
I'll continue searching for local jaguarundi/leoncillo sightings.

[Edited on 2-2-2013 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 07:56 PM

I was north of Mazatlan a couple weeks ago and there was a sign at a preserve with the local cats and their paw prints in the area. It has a Leoncillo on it.

[Edited on 2-5-2013 by MexicoTed]

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2013 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

ok, he says the locals call these cats leoncillos.
Jaguarundi, Leoncillo. Same animal, different names.

They hunt the goats up in the mountains.
He says there's a taxiderm specimen outside the restaurant right by the church up in San Javier.

Mulegena, this must be the taxidermy specimen in San Javier you are referring to. They were charging $1 to take a photo of it. I thought it was a sick mountain lion as it didn't look right.

[Edited on 2-6-2013 by MexicoTed]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2013 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Edited again to add this link for clarification. This is the ring-tailed raccoon that lives down here in the hills around the Mulege river. It does look somewhat like a housecat, its nocturnal and consequently is rarely seen. The ring-tailed cat is not what BajaBucko is searching; its not a jaguarundi/leoncillo.
http://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Ringtai...
I'll continue searching for local jaguarundi/leoncillo sightings.

In Baja, at least on Isla San José where this photo was taken, they are called BABISURI

Photo from Alejandra de Baja (ca2000) on Isla San José.

[Edited on 2-6-2013 by David K]

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2013 at 10:06 AM

Sorry DK-that is NOT a Jaguarundi. The pic you show is a Ring-tailed cat, not even a cat. Saw 2 of those at Los Pilares in the mountains nr Comondu years ago.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.