BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 1 Feb 2013 Precios de Gasolineras (Fuel Prices)
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 06:01 PM
1 Feb 2013 Precios de Gasolineras (Fuel Prices)

MAGNA $P 10.61 liter

PREMIUM $P 11.09 liter

DIESEL $P 11.01

Asked tanker driver: All fuels as far north as Villa Jesus Maria originate at the Topolobampo Sinaloa fuel depot, and are barged across the gulf to Pichilingue, then hauled by "pipa" from there. The only fuel originating in the USA shipped from Topolobampo is Premium. The driver was pretty knowledgeable; he said for a fact the Premium is from the Deer Park Shell/Pemex refinery and does contain the urea "Nitrogen" additive. Supposed to compete with Chevron Techron. "Here, you can smell the additive in the gas" he stated. A definitely unique odor. By using Premium this is the first time in six years and 45,000 miles that I do not have to add Techron to the fuel to keep that temperamental Mitsubishi engine from bucking and stalling and losing a substantial degree of fuel mileage. Nine cents per gallon difference, Magna vs Premium.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 06:50 PM

It is also 30 centavos lower than mainland magna at 10.91 pesos per litro..

I hear the whales song
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 08:43 PM

What is the posted exchange given at the stations? Gas prices north of the border are the highest in history for this time of year... Costco today in Escondido was $3.75 (87 octane)... some others are over $4/ gallon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What is the posted exchange given at the stations? Gas prices north of the border are the highest in history for this time of year... Costco today in Escondido was $3.75 (87 octane)... some others are over $4/ gallon.

What does the posted exchange rate have to do with the price of gasoline?

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

I think he's asking for the whole "12X1" or "12.5X1" to figure out the price per gallon in dolares.

OT: Credit card skimmers are being found inside gas pumps at an alarming rate recently in SoCal. Lots of my customers have been targeted. My ATM # was used last week to purchase $200 in gas in Simi Valley. Sucks.

[Edited on 2-2-2013 by Ateo]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Everything... if a peso is equal to 8 cents instead of 10 cents, for example. Unless you live in Mexico and live daily with pesos for money, it wouldn't matter. A large number of Nomads do not live in Mexico so our money is exchanged either before the trip or during the trip. The exchange rate at those locations would indicate the cost in our money.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:00 PM

David I understand your logic but the price of gasoline is the price of gasoline. A liter of gasoline might be 10.6 MP for the next year while the dollar to peso exchange rate could vary drastically. The cost of the gasoline remains the same, though.

You are asking the price of money on a given day. Also there are much cheaper places to buy pesos than at Pemex stations.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:02 PM

We are talking Feb. 1... ie. today. Yes things change... to some, change is good... to others, well, it is a disaster.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:20 PM

Wound up with 12.69 to the $ at the ATM in Loreto yesterday. I figured the gas came out to $3.14 a gallon. (If it was a fair pour, but lets not get into that one again)

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:54 PM

Well this is an interesting exchange between Bajaboy and DK.

Both are correct. The price of gas is the price of gas in Pesos (Bajaboy)
unless you are paying in dollars (DK) which of course is determined by the exchange rate at the station or casa de cambio. So while the price may be fixed Pesos as we all know your dollar price varies.
I used my credit card to purchase gas in Mexicali and my exchange was better than the station's of casa de cambio. BTW my C card does not have a foreign exchange fee..

Now, is there something sinister brewing between Bajaboy and DK..

Stay tuned!

Stay tuned...
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 06:38 AM

What the hay:mad: Gas here in Denver jumped over 30 cents in the last week or so:mad:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 07:16 AM

newer cars NEVER need magna...

the people at texaco told me its ONLY a marketing gimmick to increase profits

unless your manufacturer states the engine MUST run on premium then reg is fine

people "love" their cars...they "feel good" if they give it the "best":yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
OT: Credit card skimmers are being found inside gas pumps at an alarming rate recently in SoCal. Lots of my customers have been targeted. My ATM # was used last week to purchase $200 in gas in Simi Valley. Sucks.

Inside the pump? Any brand of gas in particular? Anything to look for to detect a suspicious pump?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:16 AM

Mitsubishi engine forums are jam-packed with discussions about how temperamental they are with regard to deposit build up on injectors and valves. It is not in my case a question of octane, it is a question of additive packages versus driveability and economy.

When my car gets temperamental using Baja Sur Magna, which is the same as mainland Magna. OR (and this is a biggie) when several thousand miles of garbage USA gasolines, this is what happens. Start-ups are not smooth. The engine rocks badly and stalls. Put it in gear and it hesitates or stalls right off. Fuel mileage over a given course USED HUNDREDS OF TIMES degrades about fifteen to twenty seven percent. On another trip to Acapulco the car got 18-miles per gallon. I didn't know about Premium then. So I went to COSTCO Acapulco and purchased 4 cartons of six bottles each of TECHRON. I filled up leaving the city after adding Techron. Thereafter the mileage resumed to 27 mpg for TENS OF THOUSANDS OF MILES. The same thing happens with junk USA gasoline so I stick to Chevron and so not use Techron additive.

SORRY CHARLIE, I put too many miles on that car to get fooled by such things as more or less traffic, different routes, different levels of wind, the possibility of getting "bad" tanks of gasoline. When the engine STALLS, 101% of the time using off brand fuel, when the mileage dumps, it is not subtle. It is rude. With gasoline using the urea additive (Chevron Techron, Shell's Nitrogen additive) the stalling, hesitation and crappy fuel mileage does not appear, EVER. orget about temperature differences, most of the miles except in the states occurred between 55 and 120 degrees. The car runs even WORSE when it's hot.

Calif emissions test last year. ALL TEST RESULTS were way, way under the maximum. The car has 80,000 miles. I purchased it when it had sixteen thousand miles.

Apparently MOST other engines are not as sensitive as the Mitsubishi. But some are. On a trip to Mulege last month I averaged 28.8 MPG. FILLED FROM 19 liter gas cans to ensure accuracy.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
newer cars NEVER need magna...

the people at texaco told me its ONLY a marketing gimmick to increase profits

unless your manufacturer states the engine MUST run on premium then reg is fine

people "love" their cars...they "feel good" if they give it the "best":yes::yes:

I think you mean 'Premium' (91) , as Magna is regular (87)?

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Wound up with 12.69 to the $ at the ATM in Loreto yesterday. I figured the gas came out to $3.14 a gallon. (If it was a fair pour, but lets not get into that one again)

10.61 MN/liter (Magna) x 3.7854 liters/US gal divided by 12.69 MN/US$ = $3.16US/USgal

11.09MN/liter (Premium) x 3.7854 liters/US gal divided by 12.69MN = $3.31US/US gal

Bob Durrell
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 11:14 AM

see i'm not ALWAYS right;)

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 01:04 PM

David

You want to save money? The best way for you is to add 4oz of acetone to every 10 gals gas, You will increase your mileage and keep your engine clean running. If you question that it will be bad for your engine I have been using in my vehicles for the last 15 years, other people on forums using 40 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Mitsubishi engine forums are jam-packed with discussions about how temperamental they are with regard to deposit build up on injectors and valves. It is not in my case a question of octane, it is a question of additive packages versus driveability and economy.

When my car gets temperamental using Baja Sur Magna, which is the same as mainland Magna. OR (and this is a biggie) when several thousand miles of garbage USA gasolines, this is what happens. Start-ups are not smooth. The engine rocks badly and stalls. Put it in gear and it hesitates or stalls right off. Fuel mileage over a given course USED HUNDREDS OF TIMES degrades about fifteen to twenty seven percent. On another trip to Acapulco the car got 18-miles per gallon. I didn't know about Premium then. So I went to COSTCO Acapulco and purchased 4 cartons of six bottles each of TECHRON. I filled up leaving the city after adding Techron. Thereafter the mileage resumed to 27 mpg for TENS OF THOUSANDS OF MILES. The same thing happens with junk USA gasoline so I stick to Chevron and so not use Techron additive.

SORRY CHARLIE, I put too many miles on that car to get fooled by such things as more or less traffic, different routes, different levels of wind, the possibility of getting "bad" tanks of gasoline. When the engine STALLS, 101% of the time using off brand fuel, when the mileage dumps, it is not subtle. It is rude. With gasoline using the urea additive (Chevron Techron, Shell's Nitrogen additive) the stalling, hesitation and crappy fuel mileage does not appear, EVER. orget about temperature differences, most of the miles except in the states occurred between 55 and 120 degrees. The car runs even WORSE when it's hot.

Calif emissions test last year. ALL TEST RESULTS were way, way under the maximum. The car has 80,000 miles. I purchased it when it had sixteen thousand miles.

Apparently MOST other engines are not as sensitive as the Mitsubishi. But some are. On a trip to Mulege last month I averaged 28.8 MPG. FILLED FROM 19 liter gas cans to ensure accuracy.
:O:O:O:O:O:O

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 01:48 PM

Acetone? Would love to try it but have never engaged in looking for it down here.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 01:52 PM

i paid $3.04 yesterday in Yuma.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.