Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carnaval Time In La Paz
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 01:42 PM
Carnaval Time In La Paz

La Paz has been celebrating its Carnaval since Thursday. If I remember correctly, it should run through Tuesday.

Lots of music and dance presentations. So, if you're in or around La Paz and have nothing better to do, why not go down to the Malecon and join in the fun?

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 06:00 PM

Sorry monoloco it's Carnaval in La Paz and if you say Carnival no one will even recognize the word anywhere south of San Diego. It's hard being ethno-centric but give diversity a shot--someone might actually understand what your saying.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Sorry monoloco it's Carnaval in La Paz and if you say Carnival no one will even recognize the word anywhere south of San Diego. It's hard being ethno-centric but give diversity a shot--someone might actually understand what your saying.

Geez, why don't you give us your e-mail and we will send all future posts to you to correct, respell and then hand back before we post.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:

Geez, why don't you give us your e-mail and we will send all future posts to you to correct, respell and then hand back before we post.

Pescador, it was Monoloco mis-correcting Tripper who prompted the correction-thanks. In any case correction of misunderstandings and enthno-centrism is not done out of spite-it's common among this group of foreigners who visit South and often make mistakes and come off as rude in doing so. To improve communication and enjoyment, it's helpful to share and correct when possible. It can be quite confusing and frustrating (from my own experience) to walk around Baja or anywhere in Latin America asking about and talkng about Carnival, and no one will understand you becuase the word is Carnaval in Baja and when you say it wrong they don't know what you are talking about. The point here is to share experiences about Baja. If discussion and correction of the use of language is not in your interest then go to the next thread and take a hike.

Carnival = English USA
Carnaval = Spanish Baja

[Edited on 2-11-2013 by gnukid]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 11:10 AM

Monoloco, I guess it's time to apologize to all those locals in the South of Baja who read this ENGLISH board and have become offended by your use of the word Carnival.

I'm sure they had no idea what you were talking about. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm sure the number of Mexicans who might be offended and who read this board is near zero.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 11:17 AM

Since Carnaval and Easter are so early this year......I'm missing my trip to LaPaz to enjoy the parade and festivities.

So, just to rub it in and really make me feel forlorn with my cabin fever ......

Could someone post photos?

It's the coldest January here since 1949..........:no:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 02:05 PM

Great to see the local terms and spellings presented here, anytime!
One more day to what is happening here in San Felipe, this Sunday. Friday had several floats and lots of younger participation, very well done.
Have vivid recollections of Carnaval as it happened in La Paz in 2001. The street was packed with what seemed like the entire city's population! I'm sure that hasn't changed.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Monoloco, I guess it's time to apologize to all those locals in the South of Baja who read this ENGLISH board and have become offended by your use of the word Carnival.

I'm sure they had no idea what you were talking about. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm sure the number of Mexicans who might be offended and who read this board is near zero.

Thank you Hook for acknowleldging inadvertently the elephant in the room--misunderstandings between Gringos and Mexicans. Yes Monoloco should apologize for his message--he was wrong--no big deal, but so should you. Let's work on getting facts straight as a group for fun and enjoyment--what else are we doing here... Dennis help?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 08:40 AM

OH GREAT!

I will be getting to LA PAZ during CARNAVAL time. It's going to be a tough drive with all that traffic.

Do you suppose they have parades a-la-New Orleans...beads and all?

I have never been to a CARNAVAL in Mexico.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
OH GREAT!

I will be getting to LA PAZ during CARNAVAL time. It's going to be a tough drive with all that traffic.

Do you suppose they have parades a-la-New Orleans...beads and all?

I have never been to a CARNAVAL in Mexico.

The driving is only a problem within about three blocks of the Malecon and near the big stadium on 5th of Mayo and only from 4:00 pm til ???. The streets are blocked off with cones and police at every corner screening for local access. The rest of La Paz is just business as usual. No impacts.

Not as fancy and as well choreographed as New Orleans but essentially the same festivities.

Beads are more successful later in the evening at the street parties. The parades are somewhat of a family affair.

La Paz Carnaval 2013 website:

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/events/carnival/carniva...

[Edited on 2-11-2013 by RnR]
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 07:29 PM

We came through La Paz on Sunday evening, just as the parade was going on. We went up 3 or 4 blocks above the malecon and had no real issues, except for the throngs walking down to the Canaval. Maybe took 15 minutes to get past town and out to La Concha.

We went into town this morning about 10:00 and were able to drive the malecon, but it was blocked again this afternoon.

After about 2:00PM I would assume that you need to park on side streets and walk to any destination along the water.

Isn't tomorrow the last day?
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Not as fancy and as well choreographed as New Orleans but essentially the same festivities.

Beads are more successful later in the evening at the street parties. The parades are somewhat of a family affair.

Beads are part of the Carnaval en La Paz? Must have missed that these past ten years.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 08:09 PM

Mil Gracias, RnR

That's the kind of info I was looking for. I'd love to be there for the beads-throwing and the after festivities.

BTW...
Do you know where the street is that has the guy that sells the wooden wind-driven toys?
I was told he was near the Home Depot.
I would like to drive by there on this Thursday, but no one seems to have a reasonable address for him.

Mil Gracias!
Udo

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 08:32 PM

Quote:

Thank you Hook for acknowleldging inadvertently the elephant in the room--misunderstandings between Gringos and Mexicans. Yes Monoloco should apologize for his message--he was wrong--no big deal, but so should you. Let's work on getting facts straight as a group for fun and enjoyment--what else are we doing here... Dennis help?

No, I just choose to believe that Mexicans are more forgiving of foreigners making mistakes with THEIR language than you are. They wont be offended.

And I'd much rather be corrected by them, as part of a one-on-one conversation, than some anal gringo guy on a gringo message board.

I often have situations where a national is practicing English while I am practicing Spanish. We both enjoy it.

And when he makes mistakes in English, am I offended? Of course not!!!

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by Hook]

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 09:06 PM

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by luv2fish]

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

No, I just choose to believe that Mexicans are more forgiving of foreigners making mistakes with THEIR language than you are. They wont be offended.

And I'd much rather be corrected by them, as part of a one-on-one conversation, than some anal gringo guy on a gringo message board.

I often have situations where a national is practicing English while I am practicing Spanish. We both enjoy it.

And when he makes mistakes in English, am I offended? Of course not!!!

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by Hook]

The Nomad Emporer has no clothes!
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 07:30 AM

Quote:

I thought you were refering to this Carnival:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2013/02/11/carn...

OR maybe this Carnival;

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4380

OR
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/26/local/la-me-0227-car...

OR maybe this little gem.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/26/local/la-me-0227-car...

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 12:19 PM

Have just received photos taken yesterday by friends who moved to Rio de Janeiro. They show their way of doing up thier Carnaval (Portugese spelling the same) and are unbelievable! or maybe simply just Incredible!
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 10:15 PM

Ateo, Carnaval ends Tuesday night.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Ateo, Carnaval ends Tuesday night.

Fat Tuesday transitions quickly to Ash Wednesday.

Caught a few of RnR's photos but wonder if any Nomads have more?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.