Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Serenidad Pig Roast
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 04:56 PM
Serenidad Pig Roast

We just checked in at Serenidad, and there is a pig roasting on the spit in the courtyard.
$15/person, includes all you can eat pork and ribs, tortillas, salad, Beans and tamal, plus a drink and dessert.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 05:12 PM

Finest kind :coolup:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 05:38 PM

I have stayed there several time now,, but always missed the pig roast,, sure would like to break that habit
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 07:40 PM

The food was excellent!
But only 16 guests by my count:(

A lot of folks doing a lot of work for not much money.

Our business involves keeping old machinery running, and classic old boats in top shape and having adventures. I like old stuff, and very much respect the history of places like Serenidad. It's a shame to see it sliding away, given what it was in the past, and the thousands of people that it hosted.

I hope that they can make it!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 07:49 PM

Hello there ! I have ALWAYS wanted to do the pig roast ... we stayed at the Serenidad many moons ago ... but not for years now. Glad to hear the meal was good.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:13 AM

Not many folks here anymore, lots of places struggling...

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:30 AM

Too true Chuckie.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:30 AM

too bad about the pig feed....but....lots of disappointed folks in the past with food quality and service and the drinks just are not very high quality....we've eaten at the pig roast twice; first time it was all dried out and cold so we waited a couple of years and gave it another chance...same result......there's just too many places around town where one can get a decent meal and a stiff drink to go back for a third time....

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 09:34 AM

Let's see, do I go to the Pig Roast and get another questionable meal with Margaritas from mix and Pork that is so-so or do I go to El Candil on Friday and get the best French dip sandwich in the world for 85 pesos and Margaritas with Controy, real lime, and tequila, or do I go to Rays and have a wonderful, top of the world Sea Food Dinner.

I would think that when I only had 16 people for a dinner that has tradition and history behind it, that I would figure out what to change to get the people back in. I think that Mulege is loaded with people right now, the stores were swamped on Saturday, the Carnitas restaurant was waiting in line for a place to sit, took 20 minutes to get to the register in Saul's store.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 09:41 AM

Don's had a good run and life. His passion for work keeps him going at 86.
the US gov't and the mexican gov't have conspired to make private flying to mexico and especially the new border procedures punitive for light plane adventurers. Even as i write El Jefe of BBP/BPI is on MX DF meeting with their "FAA" and custome trying to get things changed. Mexico used to be able to count on thousands of intrepid US flyers going south for fun - not any more and too mnay food strips closed for no good reason.
i used to go monthly. Now i have no idea when i want to put up with all the BS just to fly to mex and back. that's why you see so few planes at El Gallito. Days past 20 or more would fly in just for the sat noche roast.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 10:52 AM
Yum

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/durrellrobert/loreto...

Bob Durrell
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Don's had a good run and life. His passion for work keeps him going at 86.
the US gov't and the mexican gov't have conspired to make private flying to mexico and especially the new border procedures punitive for light plane adventurers. Even as i write El Jefe of BBP/BPI is on MX DF meeting with their "FAA" and custome trying to get things changed. Mexico used to be able to count on thousands of intrepid US flyers going south for fun - not any more and too mnay food strips closed for no good reason.
i used to go monthly. Now i have no idea when i want to put up with all the BS just to fly to mex and back. that's why you see so few planes at El Gallito. Days past 20 or more would fly in just for the sat noche roast.

do you ever see this getting any better, I sure hope so
and it would be a great testament to the Serenidad and Don
Johnson for it to be back to the days of glory, such a great location and hotel
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:00 PM

Could you detail specific complaints/concerns about small aircraft coming to Mexico. Pls also add the solutions as you see them. Next time someone comes to visit who can do something about it - they will get my (your) 2 centavos.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:21 PM
Flying in and out of Mexico

I have lived in Mulegé since 2000 and used to keep my Cessna on the Serenidad runway.

The Department of Homeland Security have made it almost impossible for private aircraft to fly outside of USA due to overly stringent border crossing requirements.

They abuse their power in every way possible and on one occasion I was threatened not only with arrest, but confiscation of my aircraft because I arrived 15 minutes earlier than my flight plan indicated. This was due to a higher than expected tailwind, but this was not accepted and I received a written warning.

I then decided to make sure that I was a little late rather than early, so on the next flight I was sure to arrive a few minutes later. I was then subjected to an hour long interrogation as to where I had illegally landed on the way and why!!

I am a British national and during these incidents I experienced more racism from American Hispanic and Asian immigration officers than I have ever experienced anywhere in the world, Russia, China and Africa included.

I regretfully hung up my headset after these experiences and now do not fly any more. I am a typical pilot, however, and can not resist looking sadly skywards as a small plane passes overhead.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cessna821
I have lived in Mulegé since 2000 and used to keep my Cessna on the Serenidad runway.

The Department of Homeland Security have made it almost impossible for private aircraft to fly outside of USA due to overly stringent border crossing requirements.

They abuse their power in every way possible and on one occasion I was threatened not only with arrest, but confiscation of my aircraft because I arrived 15 minutes earlier than my flight plan indicated. This was due to a higher than expected tailwind, but this was not accepted and I received a written warning.

I then decided to make sure that I was a little late rather than early, so on the next flight I was sure to arrive a few minutes later. I was then subjected to an hour long interrogation as to where I had illegally landed on the way and why!!

I am a British national and during these incidents I experienced more racism from American Hispanic and Asian immigration officers than I have ever experienced anywhere in the world, Russia, China and Africa included.

I regretfully hung up my headset after these experiences and now do not fly any more. I am a typical pilot, however, and can not resist looking sadly skywards as a small plane passes overhead.

X2....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 11:14 PM

I meant no disrespect for Don Johnson who is one of the real pioneers of the area and a well respected man. The help does not have the same pizazz that he has always shown for the pig roasts and it is small wonder that they are not the same as when he was totally running the show.

As for the flying issue, it seems that the world changed greatly after 9-11 and we may never be able to get things back again. I sometimes wonder if the 9-11 thing was not a good excuse for where the government wanted to go anyway. I am so glad that I was able to fly all over Baja and mainland Mexico when it was a true adventure and a wonderous experience. The old Senterfit book was our bible as we hopped in and out of small dirt strips with small taildraggers. Mexicali for clearance, then on to Bay of Los Angeles where you could get a little gas from Papa Fernandez, on to San Fransisquito and unwind for a couple of days, Serenidad where you could lay in the pool and soak off several days of dirt, Punta Chivato where there was only 3 or 4 houses and a great restaurant at the hotel and meeting Alvarado, Loreto where you actually had a tower to talk to and they had 80 LL for your old Citabria, and then Tembabiche where they had a little shack on the beach and we dove for lobster and caught some of the greatest Cabrilla I had ever seen, La Paz where you were back in civilization for a little while, Guererro Negro to see whales and freeze your butt off in February, and finally Santa Inez where they rolled out the carpet and you found out that Jimmy Smith was a real pilot and person.

Well, we can thank DHS for messing up that experience as well as feeling up grandma in the airport.

PCbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 07:35 AM

I have been flying Baja for 15 years and continue to fly down about once a month and have had no problems. I think its gotten easier with EAPIS reporting.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 10:14 AM

Pescador you are correct sir!!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 12:42 PM

Agree 100% with captmike, dtbushpilot,cessna821, and Pescador. Anyone who has enjoyed flying in Baja pre-911 could hardly feel things are more simple. It really boils down to realizing there are those who are comfortable with having the government control every aspect of their lives, calling 911, leaving your health care decisions in government hands, opening up their laptops for CBP to go fishing in, etc. and those who just want to be left alone to their own capabilities. Pre-EAPIS the system worked perfectly well going in and out of Mexico, and there is no record of any terrorists being smuggled into the country by private aircraft during this period. Just another govt. fix for something that wasn't broke to begin with.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 02:22 PM

right you are George!
for me it simply is hardly worth the hassle to fly to baja anymore. And now that PEMEX raised the $$ on avgas to match or exceed USA $$ even tho mexico does not have the fed excise taxes which makes US gas so high.....it makes less sense to go south. Well at least for me based on my budget......

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.