BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BE AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE BRINGING ACROSS THE BORDER INTO MEXICO
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 02:12 PM
BE AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE BRINGING ACROSS THE BORDER INTO MEXICO

(Note to fellow Nomads - I've read this story thoroughly at least three times and I am still confused about what is or isn't allowed.)

From The Baja Times

By Jack E. George

"The newly opened El Chaparral border crossing has brought a number of changes for people driving into Mexico. One thing that has not changed is the dreaded 'red light.' This is because you must then pass to the inspection station. The new inspectors no longer simply check what is in your trunk.

They tell you to unlock your car doors, open the hood of your car, and open your trunk. If they find anything that looks like it is newly purchased, the inspector will ask you for the cost along with other questions. If you are crossing with a new television, for example, chances are you will go to the next inspection station where you will complete a declaration of the item, cost, and so forth. And, most likely, you will pay an import fee.

However, you also have the chance of having items removed from your possession, if you do not abide by the rules of what items can be brought into Mexico. For example, if the inspector looks through your car and finds your favorite c-ckatiel, hamster, rabbit, or any other animal aside from a dog or a cat, you might need to forever say "Good bye" to your friend. This will depend, however, on if you did your homework, prior to arriving at the border, and if you followed the instructions for importing a pet. You will not be allowed to travel another mile if you have earth, straw, or hay-filled containers or any type of ornament made from straw or palm. You cannot have any homemade food preparations containing meat or ground of ruminant origin. Processed meat products from countries Mexico considers risky will not be allowed to cross with you.

You may not cross the border with any food or pet treats containing ruminant origin (basically this is various hoofed, even-toed, often horned mammals; those mammals having a stomach divided into four, sometimes three, compartments). You may not cross with certain vaccines. You may not bring raw or dry shellfish, in any presentation. Seaweed, of any type intended for animal consumption, is prohibited.

Items on the restricted list should be discussed with a United States representative to determine if you can cross the border into Mexico. These include terrestrial and aquatic animals, specific types of animals (such as birds and small pets); bees and bee products; hunting trophies; drugs for veterinary use; objects showing traces of organic products such as boots; plants and plant products such as cut flowers, fresh fruits, seeds, cuttings, and so forth.

Ex-pats living in the border zone of Mexico can import goods for personal use, as long as the value does not exceed $75.

These items include alcoholic beverages, beer, and snuff carved cigars. Various items may be subject to various taxes, so, before returning across the border, you should know what you may face when reaching the inspection station.

Although the list of acceptable articles, okay to import is extensive, there can sometimes be surprises when you reach the border. Some people are not certain about specific food products; however, products and animal by-products, such as dairy products and so forth are acceptable, as long as they are packaged and labeled in Spanish or English and sealed by the health authority. You may also cross with most meat products, if they come from plants approved by SAGARPA (in English this is The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food. Its objective is to foster the pursuit of a policy of support that permits producing, improving, and making the best use of the Agricultural, Livestock, Fisheries, and the Food Supply sector). You can transport smoked poultry, dried beef, and prepared foods, if they are labeled in Spanish or English and stamped by the health authority. The same approval is needed for prepared foods and fruits and vegetables canned or cooked such as prunes, spices, and medicinal dried herbs. You may also bring in fish, canned or jarred, (such as pate), products of fish ready for human consumption, and most sea products, as long as they are properly stored in a cooler with ice and packaged for personal consumption.

Some people are concerned about pet food as far as what can or cannot be brought across the border. You can safely cross with dry or wet pet food. The law seems very vague, "...a full package of food or treats without content of ruminant origin, labeled in Spanish or English and stamped by the health authority." (After speaking with three different inspectors, I received three different answers as to the question regarding quantities, varieties, and so forth.) It is suggested that you do your research before buying a large quantity of pet food.

We all know that the inspectors have the final say on what may, or may not, be brought across the border. If there is a disagreement, it is up to each individual to decide how they wish to continue. It is strongly recommended that anyone crossing the border, on a regular basis, print a copy of the rules and regulations for what may, or may not, be imported into Mexico (one site to visit is: http://www.senasica.gob.mx). "

(Contact Jack: jeg925@aol.com)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

Items on the restricted list should be discussed with a United States representative to determine if you can cross the border into Mexico.

Who are they? Where are they? Why would they even care?
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 02:39 PM

and this is for what?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pappy
and this is for what?

Bringing things into Mexico.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 02:51 PM

Hilarious! Even Mexican officials cant agree from crossing to crossing AND THE WRITER SUGGESTS ASKING US OFFICIALS???? :lol:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 03:09 PM

Nothing new in the laws. If the Aduaneros wish to, they can assess a 300% of value duty on undeclared items, seize the vehicle and everything in it, until the fines are paid, and THEN THEY KEEP THE UNDECLARED ITEMS! Same for foodstuffs, pets, pet Death Stalker scorpions from the middle east, and even your pet musk ox.

When properly approached MOST aduaneros are friendly and understanding. Politely discuss the value of new items that have been wisely removed from new packaging. You can even fib and say it is returning from being "warrantied" in the states.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 03:14 PM

fuel cans= empty firewood=NO lumber masquerading as firewood = NO motor oil only is sealed bottle
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 03:41 PM

as odd as this is - we brought AND DECLARED our brand new wooden cabinets for our new kitchen thru San Ysidro May 2012. We paid a paltry fee (can't remember how much) and were allowed to bring them in. We were concerned that there might be a hitch but the inspetor did not bat an eye. Simple wrote up the form and asked us to pay up. Go figure.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 04:14 PM

Thank heavens they let me bring in "snuff carved cigars"

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
objects showing traces of organic products such as boots;

Often the guy in the Mex Govt who has the 2 semesters
of English in grade school, gets the job of crafting regs,
then there is the translation grey area. Does the above
sentence refer to boots as in shoes? Maybe cowboy
boots made of?
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 05:00 PM

I crossed at San Luis AZ a few weeks ago and got the green light.

Then, I heard a tap on the back of my car and the agent told me to go to the declaration inspection area

I had a butt load of purchased items stuffed into a wine cooler that I was bringing down to a friend in SF.

She looked everything over and sent me on my way, no probelm, this time.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
as odd as this is - we brought AND DECLARED our brand new wooden cabinets for our new kitchen thru San Ysidro May 2012. We paid a paltry fee (can't remember how much) and were allowed to bring them in. We were concerned that there might be a hitch but the inspetor did not bat an eye. Simple wrote up the form and asked us to pay up. Go figure.

That's because you went into the "Declare" lane and imported your goods legally. We brought down everything BUT the slab, bricks, mortar, and the water heater. Everything else was imported legally.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 08:23 PM

"Hunting trophies" caught my eye. Why? What could be the reasoning behind this rule?

Dern read this to me earlier and stressed the HUNTING TROPHY part. Right now we have two deer mounts that I inherited from a good friend, packed in the back of the truck waiting for spring break. They are (were) headed for their new baja home. He was already nervous about taking them down, and now that he's read this notice, I'm thinking he's going to do some unpacking.

I also have a 1958 marlin head mount that is part of the family. He's not something that can easily be tucked inconspicuously into the back seat.

Sheesh.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
"Hunting trophies" caught my eye. Why? What could be the reasoning behind this rule?

Dern read this to me earlier and stressed the HUNTING TROPHY part. Right now we have two deer mounts that I inherited from a good friend, packed in the back of the truck waiting for spring break. They are (were) headed for their new baja home. He was already nervous about taking them down, and now that he's read this notice, I'm thinking he's going to do some unpacking.

I also have a 1958 marlin head mount that is part of the family. He's not something that can easily be tucked inconspicuously into the back seat.

Sheesh.

P>*)))>{

Just go through Otay or Tecate. They arn't playing the "New Regime" game....yet anyway.
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 09:41 PM

Okay.. This thread has me wondering ... The gal that owns the vehicle I am bringing down for her has a few things for her place in SJDC. Among these things are some sealed foodstuffs that she can't find in Baja (50lbs of pinto beans, gallon jug of dressing, a couple jugs of green tea) a whole bunch of rope and Christmas lights (for around her pool and palm trees) 4 boxes of wine glasses and a couple large mirrors. the lights are all removed from the packaging and the food stuff is all sealed. Do I need to declare all this stuff? I'll be crossing at the downtown Mexicali crossing if that makes a difference...
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybo
Okay.. This thread has me wondering ... The gal that owns the vehicle I am bringing down for her has a few things for her place in SJDC. Among these things are some sealed foodstuffs that she can't find in Baja (50lbs of pinto beans, gallon jug of dressing, a couple jugs of green tea) a whole bunch of rope and Christmas lights (for around her pool and palm trees) 4 boxes of wine glasses and a couple large mirrors. the lights are all removed from the packaging and the food stuff is all sealed. Do I need to declare all this stuff? I'll be crossing at the downtown Mexicali crossing if that makes a difference...

She can't find pinto beans???????

Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 10:45 PM

Oh she can find lots of pinto beans, they just have pebbles in them. It's driving her nuts so she has me bringing a 50lb sack of them down. I know, I was like What The Frick?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
NO motor oil only is sealed bottle

how do you transport your motor oil, in a box?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 07:46 AM

I learned the hard way, no outboard motors without a boat with registration papers. They sent me back to the US.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybo
Oh she can find lots of pinto beans, they just have pebbles in them. It's driving her nuts so she has me bringing a 50lb sack of them down. I know, I was like What The Frick?

The packaged beans on the shelves in the big stores are clean, unlike the bulk product in the produce department.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.