Pages:  1    3  ..  9
Author: Subject: border delays due to sequestration
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 06:53 PM
border delays due to sequestration

aw geeeze, check this out.

Expect delays at the Mexican - US border due to "Sequestration"
"Sequestration" refers to proposed across the board cuts that will impact every single agency within the US federal government, including Customs and Border Protection, FDA and USDA. Assuming, the proposed sequestration moves forward this Friday, we know that CBP will lose their overtime budgets and furloughs will be in place starting April of this year. As stated by DHS Secretary Napolitano at a recent Senate Hearing:

"Perhaps most critically it would have serious immediate consequences to the flow of trade and travel at our nation's ports of entry, including many ports represented by members of this committee."

"On the Southwest border, our biggest land ports could face waits of five hours or more, functionally closing these ports during core hours."
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 07:19 PM

It's just attempted government blackmail: "give us our money or we'll make your life miserable". They could forego some of their high tech gear or get rid of upper level bureaucrats instead.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 08:36 PM

Cant believe it can make any difference..Last time I came through Tecate, got chased to secondary, sat there 55 minutes, only vehicle, and watching 7 people bullchitting or playing video games..Your tax dollars at work...

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
It's a 2.4% reduction on the increase in this years budget not a decrease of 2.4% of the over all budget.The budget is actually greater this year than last.
The administration is already softening their "Doomsday"scenario they been preaching.

If that is the case then why are independent economist stating the contrary:?: I've also heard many heads of government agencies say they will have to furlough employees. Are you suggesting they are making this up? If less people are working, wouldn't that suggest less money (demand) for good and services? I'm just trying to think this through versus listening to the talking heads.

[Edited on 3-1-2013 by Bajaboy]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Cant believe it can make any difference..Last time I came through Tecate, got sent to secondary, sat there 55 minutes, only vehicle, and watching 7 people bullchitting or playing video games..Your tax dollars at work...
You got that right, they are the biggest goldbrickers I've ever seen. The last time I got sent to secondary, the guy running the big vehicle scanner chewed me out because the guy who sent me there didn't put any paper work under my windshield wiper, (like somehow that was my responsibility) after that they put us in a parking space and agents kept coming up and asking what we were doing there.( Duh how would I know?) Nobody there knew anything and agents were wandering around doing nothing but shooting the breeze and drinking coffee, meanwhile it took them 1 1/2 hours to return our passports. Oh, and this was after waiting in line for 3 1/2 hours. I doubt that most of them could get a job at a 7/11.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
It's a 2.4% reduction on the increase in this years budget not a decrease of 2.4% of the over all budget.The budget is actually greater this year than last.
The administration is already softening their "Doomsday"scenario they been preaching.

If that is the case then why are independent economist stating the contrary:?: I've also heard many heads of government agencies say they will have to furlough employees. Are you suggesting they are making this up? If less people are working, wouldn't that suggest less money (demand) for good and services? I'm just trying to think this through versus listening to the talking heads.

This doomsday scenario proposed by the administration isn't necessary but it is what they say they are going to do. Why would they replace flights in private jets across the country and do online meetings instead? Making tactical cuts by eliminating wasteful spending won't impact you one iota so its not likely to get your attention and support for increased revenues. As he stated; It is not a 2.4% cut to their budget. It simply slows the rate that they had already planned to increase their budget.

The stupid portion of the sequester is that it will be across the board cuts rather than tactical cuts. The Congress has offered bills that would give agencies the latitude to cut things that have least impact but the Senate and the WH has rejected them unless they include additional tax increases. They already got huge tax increases 2 months ago at the end of the year as you have surely noticed already on your paycheck but once again they are saying no spending cuts without more taxes. Even Bob Woodward, a fairly liberal minded, reporter has accused the WH of moving the goal posts.

In Memory of E-57
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 09:23 PM

We where going to head to Loreto tomorrow but we had some issues and have put it off for a couple weeks, but

Those piece o2 2h2it "great old protectors" of the great land of UNITES STATES of AMERICA are going to cut the north crossing protectors of FREEDOM in half and make a statement. You watch the TV, not any political PULL media, show us on Their TV networks, the poor government employees who have to contend with a reduction in funds.. 10 hour wait times..

I am so embarrassed heading north , waiting inline with folks from Mexico while our vehicles are being scanned by a 5 million dollar Save America Scan Mobil to save us all. What a sh-ty filling I have of my Country standing next to young Hispanic kids thinking "yes this is America". what a great country...
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

This doomsday scenario proposed by the administration isn't necessary but it is what they say they are going to do. Why would they replace flights in private jets across the country and do online meetings instead? Making tactical cuts by eliminating wasteful spending won't impact you one iota so its not likely to get your attention and support for increased revenues. As he stated; It is not a 2.4% cut to their budget. It simply slows the rate that they had already planned to increase their budget.

The stupid portion of the sequester is that it will be across the board cuts rather than tactical cuts. The Congress has offered bills that would give agencies the latitude to cut things that have least impact but the Senate and the WH has rejected them unless they include additional tax increases. They already got huge tax increases 2 months ago at the end of the year as you have surely noticed already on your paycheck but once again they are saying no spending cuts without more taxes. Even Bob Woodward, a fairly liberal minded, reporter has accused the WH of moving the goal posts.

I've got no problem discussing facts versus talking points. I think you might want to let the dust settle before you start pointing to Woodward...or at least see the email in question in full text...you might change your mind.

As for budgets, I do believe they are created in the House...so far Boener and friends have not offered up a bill. With regards to laws, Congress writes them and the President signs them....so it seems to me that Congress wrote the sequester law and Obama signed it....thus all are responsible. I also recall that way back when...2011 that Obama said he wanted to return to the Clinton era tax rates. As far as I know, he has not changed anything. And lastly, didn't Obama cut spending by 1 something trillion last year without any increase in revenue? Please explain to me why eliminating tax loop holes is wrong? We need to move past the partisan bs. I could care less which party comes up with the solution:light:

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2013 at 11:58 PM

If you review my post you will see I didn't even mention the email. I only referred to the comment he had made which had prompted the email

In Memory of E-57
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 02:05 AM

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection will furlough its employees for up to 14 days this year if the automatic spending cuts known as the sequester kick in on March 1, according to a letter the agency sent to union officials this week."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2013/02/2...

Assuming agents work 250 days a year, 14 days of furlough equals about a 5.5% reduction in force.

Does that mean wait times, on average, increase 5.5%?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 05:59 AM

Complaints? Please TRY to complain to a "Supervising officer', and see where that gets you. I think that would be the person who screamed "get back in your car" when I had to take a leak. There is a lengthy on line complaint process, which repeatedly warns that if ALL the documentation is not submitted, there will be NO investigation...Good luck...

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Complaints? Please TRY to complain to a "Supervising officer', and see where that gets you. I think that would be the person who screamed "get back in your car" when I had to take a leak. There is a lengthy on line complaint process, which repeatedly warns that if ALL the documentation is not submitted, there will be NO investigation...Good luck...
Filing a complaint would probably be a good way to ensure a miserable trip to secondary every time you cross the border.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
The e-mail was because of the article written by Woodward.
Here is the article. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bob-woodward-obamas-s...
Thank you. Yes, this is the article I referenced.

In Memory of E-57
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
2012 federal budget,3.796 trillion
2013 federal budget, 3.803 trillion requested. sequester reduces this figure by 40 -80 billion.
The senate has not passed a budget since 2009.Why didn't the present administration pass a budget when they controlled the house,the senate and the White House?

I believe the WH and Congress were controlled by the Dems for two months, early into the fiscal crisis. Things changed when Kennedy died.

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 07:38 AM

Chuckie , i'm with you . For 15 years crossing i have been sent to secondary everytime ! They have know idea how to do their job . Secondary is a joke , there is no work being done . Just lots of coffee and a place to be an a-- to returning american tax payers .

Ps. Returned from mexico in Dec. And for the first time was waved thru :tumble:

Old age help ?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Bajaboy,eliminating tax loopholes for everybody or just for the wealthy?

I'm game for what's fair. How do you define wealthy?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 10:25 AM

I'm really starting to hate our government.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 10:26 AM

Wealthy = having ample abundant plentiful overflowing financial resources beyond what is required to cover necessities (necessities as distinguished from things that are only desired), especially in comparson to others.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Wealthy = having ample abundant plentiful overflowing financial resources beyond what is required to cover necessities (necessities as distinguished from things that are only desired), especially in comparson to others.

What is one supposed to do with all that pent up motivation to excell?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2013 at 11:01 AM

Invent a cure for cancer or start a hedge fund overseas.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.