Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Help- Cabo cops robbed my son
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 09:41 AM
Help- Cabo cops robbed my son

Got a text from my son that 3 cops ( I'm assuming city cops since I haven't talked with him yet) put him in their car, held a gun to his head, and then stole his money!They then left him on the street.

Is this happening a lot in Cabo these days? Is there an agency that he can report it to? Should he report it or would it be dangerous because of potential retribution by the police?

Thanks.
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 09:45 AM

When ? Where in Cabo? What time of day?
Is he sure they were cops? Was it a marked car?
I'm here for months at a time and not heard this one happening
Need more info
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 09:47 AM

That is the question............were they cops? scarey
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 10:25 AM

Although I don't doubt BajaDixon's post, and we do not know all of the details, there is more to this story.

Is your son a resident or a tourist, where in Cabo was he, who was he with, what was he doing just prior to the incident, what time was it, why did they leave him with a phone??

Did he report the incident to the US Consulate agency????
•Los Cabos: Las Tiendas de Palmilla Local B221, Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 27.5, San José del Cabo, BCS, Mexico 23406 Telephone: (624) 143-3566 Fax: (624) 143-6750.

You can report police misconduct to:

Secretaría de Seguridad Pública del Estado de Baja California Sur
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 17 y Acceso a la Colonia Calafia C.P. 23054, La Paz B.C.S.

SECRETARIO DE TURISMO DE BAJA CALIFORNIA SUR
Lic. Rubén Reachi Lugo
Tel. (612) 12 4 01 03 Conmutador ext. 104
Dir. (612) 12 4 04 24
Fax (612) 12 4 07 22
Email: rreachi@bcs.gob.mx

DIRECCIÓN DE ADMINISTRACIÓN
Lic. Fernando Ojeda Aguilar
Tel. (612) 12 4 01 00 Ext. 105
Email: faguilar@bcs.gob.mx

BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:19 AM

Just talked with my son and there is not a whole lot of story going on.He had just left Squid Row at 1:30 am and was walking to his hotel, alone, when they scooped him up and searched him for drugs. They drove him 4 blocks into a poorer section of town, took the money in his wallet and left him there. He says they had a police vehicle and were dressed as cops.

I don't have a clue why they left his phone with him other than they probably were afraid that it had a device in it that could be traced to them.

My son has been staying in Todos Santos for 2 months and frequents the clubs in Cabo. He is not involved in drugs or any other nefarious activity. He spends most of his days at the beach with his girlfriend and another friend. I was just down there last week visiting him and they do not look or act like criminals.

This appears to simply be a case of a shakedown for his cash. It is guaranteed that he will not walks those streets alone anymore.

What's ironic about this mess is that I am planning on teaching a class at the local college in NorCal about travelling to Baja to visit the Grey Whales. My motive is to get more gringos into Mexico to help the tourist trade and improve the image many Americans have of Baja and the Mexican people! This is a curveball in that plan.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
What's ironic about this mess is that I am planning on teaching a class at the local college in NorCal about travelling to Baja to visit the Grey Whales. My motive is to get more gringos into Mexico to help the tourist trade and improve the image many Americans have of Baja and the Mexican people! This is a curveball in that plan.

It's funny [not haha funny] what you don't see until it happens close to home.
Before you start serving the Tourist Department Koolade, you should probably enlighten yourself to more of the full story....like spend some time reading Maggies Madness and Borderland Beat as well as other sites.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:34 AM

You already know this, and it will make a good lesson to newbies, sadly at your son's expense...

1) Avoid Cabo (it's at the tip of Baja so you never need to go there to see the rest of Baja)
2) If you can't avoid Cabo, then avoid it at night.
3) If you can't avoid Cabo at night, don't walk out of a bar at 1:30 am, alone!

He can try filing a complaint if he can identify the cops. Boycotting bars in Cabo by everyone will have business owners get onto the police to stop that activity.

Don't be an easy mark!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:45 AM

Second the "stay away from Cabo"part...If you want to go to Cabo, go to Newport Beach, its closer...

Wally
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You already know this, and it will make a good lesson to newbies, sadly at your son's expense...

1) Avoid Cabo (it's at the tip of Baja so you never need to go there to see the rest of Baja)

He can try filing a complaint if he can identify the cops. Boycotting bars in Cabo by everyone will have business owners get onto the police to stop that activity.

Don't be an easy mark!

Thousands of people do exactly this nightly. Thousands.

1:30 am on a Saturday night is nothing high season. There would have been 100's of people milling around. Obviously "where" is important but the idea that someone leaves a bar (with 1/2 a dozen other bars within spitting distance) on the main drag, and is walking to a tourist hotel, gets picked up by 3 cops in one car and hustled away to be dropped 4 blocks away (still plenty of bars and restaurants 4 blocks away) feels wrong.

I'm am absolutely not suggesting something didn't happen. But in seven years of living here I can count on two hands the number off weird things like this happening.

Not frequent, not a trend and weird. And a gun involved? Very weird?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:40 PM

tell him to just get on with his vacation. has he asked you to "send money" because "the cops" took all of his? maybe he's having too much fun to go home so soon!!!

if nothing else, he'll have a good story to tell his kids about that night in Cabo!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:47 PM

I don't believe this "story" is true...

just another person spreading "urban myths"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:50 PM

man that light just keeps gettin dimmer!:rolleyes:
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
It's funny [not haha funny] what you don't see until it happens close to home.
Before you start serving the Tourist Department Koolade, you should probably enlighten yourself to more of the full story....like spend some time reading Maggies Madness and Borderland Beat as well as other sites.

I follow that site and am very informed about what goes on in most of Baja ( I dislike Cabo so I don't know much about that area.) That said, I believe it is relatively safe for tourists to travel to Baja and visit the whales. I've been doing it for 30 years. I also spend a fair amount of time travelling the peninsula both on paved and unpaved roads. I feel safe down there for the most part. The major drawback that I see is the police. They have never harassed me but I if the a situation arose where I needed their protection I would not feel as confident in their response as in the states.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:58 PM

BOB AND SUSAN " I don't believe this "story" is true...just another person spreading "urban myths"

I believe it.

Heck, a friend of mine got robber at gunpoint in POINT LOMA (San Diego nice neighborhood) at 1 in the afternoon. This was about 15 years ago and the guys were caught. My friend was a pizza deliverer at the time.

I myself have been robbed at gunpoint at 1 a.m. Lesson learned - I will never walk, even accompanied (as I was) at 1 a.m. in a big city ever again.

Mostly because I think crime sometimes happens due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Be glad he wasn't hurt, that is the most imp. thing.

Bajaguy gave some excellent numbers to call and make a report. Even if your son can't identify the cops, it will serve as a head's up. And who knows, maybe there are some cameras that taped it ? Nowadays there are cameras absolutely everywhere, it seems.

Cabo is such a beautiful location - as much as I love our village, I also love the feel of Cabo.

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:10 PM

This. I've traveled to the East Cape many, many times over the years and only spent the least amount of time possible in Cabo, usually just to fly in, grab a taxi or rental car and get out. Cabo is bad news and gets worse every year.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Don't be an easy mark!
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
tell him to just get on with his vacation. has he asked you to "send money" because "the cops" took all of his? maybe he's having too much fun to go home so soon!!!

if nothing else, he'll have a good story to tell his kids about that night in Cabo!

He has his own money so he doesn't need mine. I kind of like your light hearted approach. the important thing is he didn't get hurt. I remember someone else telling me the same thing happened to them about 5 years ago. It does make for a good story, I guess. But it's still ugly.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:36 PM

A friend of mine got taken to the jail by the Cabo cops about 15 year ago. Guess she was a little too drunk, so spent the night there....she didn't remember much, but it was the jail out of town not the one downtown.

Funny thing about that trip...she ended up pregnant...we always blamed the cops!....OK, that was the joke...she knew who the father of her Cabo baby was!

Those were the days!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:38 PM

There were more than a few stories almost identical to what your son described in Cabo in the late nineties or early 2000s, as I recall. Seems like most did involve Squid Roe exits in the wee hours. It became rather well publicized and I believe there was an official effort to curtail it. It stopped pretty quick.

Four cops probably found an opportunity to reminisce on the good ol days and your son was the unfortunate victim.

No comment on the usual "Bobism"...........but you'll get used to them, if you stick around.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
man that light just keeps gettin dimmer

That's funny, I think I can guess what it refers to,
guys that frequent TJ at nite and cross back by
foot, report on occasion they have to face 4-5
of TJ's finest waiting at the ped crossing, rule is never
have more than $5 on you, they have you empty
out your pockets. To flatly deny the truth of this
is rude, what's that line, 'nothing good happens
after midnight'
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 01:56 PM

well we live in El Tule and go to Cabo for dinner, beach, Costco, Walmart. What we don't do is go to bars till late night hours. But best of all don't walk alone.
Going on four years with many gringos living here. Nothing has happen.
OK the Fed's tried to jack me on a stop at the airport. Ten minutes they let me go.

Be smart, keep cool, look around..
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.