Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 10:16 AM
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN

Friends, and neighbors, came down yesterday crossing through the El Chaparral gate, with seven bicycles in the back of the truck. As they have been doing since the wheel was invented, they give these old, but still rolling, bikes to one of the local orphanages. It's just something they like to do.
Not this time, said the border inspector. "Two people....Two bikes"......and they were turned around, sent back to readjust their load and dispose of the contraband.

Now...I know this won't be the case on weekends with the Rosarito/Ensenada bike rides that flood the cities with tourist dollars, but why, if not from a basis of pure meanness , would a rule such as this be imposed at other times?
It only hurts the children who have already suffered more than they should.

I just don't understand.

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by DENNIS]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 10:32 AM

While you and I (and most Nomads) know this is a noble gesture... the job of Mexican customs is to protect Mexico... and in this case, Mexican business.

The bikes need to be purchased in Mexico to give to children... in their thinking. Wasn't there an ability to pay taxes on importing them?

Mexican overloaded trucks are always going south loaded to the gills on I-5 from L.A. to sell that stuff in Mexico... Perhaps only Mexicans can bring in stuff for a Secondaria store?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
the job of Mexican customs is to protect Mexico... and in this case, Mexican business.

Give me a ****** break, David. Two senior citizens with five too many wrecked bicycles is a threat to Mexican business?

Quote:
Wasn't there an ability to pay taxes on importing them?

It didn't come up. They probably wouldn't have paid anyway, just on principle. The bikes were one step above trash.

Quote:
Mexican overloaded trucks are always going south loaded to the gills on I-5 from L.A. to sell that stuff in Mexico... Perhaps only Mexicans can bring in stuff for a Secondaria store?

The Segundas pay by the truckload. Maybe a bunch...maybe a little bit of nothin. I don't know.

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by BajaNomad]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:17 AM

Dennis DO NOT challenge the board expert explainer. He has something for everything!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:20 AM

I brought a bike down one time for the orphans there. The organizers spread the load to anyone coming down. A bike or 2 each. I loved the pictures and of the little boy who got "my" bike. Bet the kid will win the Baja 1000 someday. The bike was tiny and so was the kid. Might have been 5 or more years ago.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Dennis DO NOT challenge the board expert explainer. He has something for everything!

:lol::lol: OK Ralph....how many books did you buy?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:31 AM

Dennis, you more than anyone else should understand the incongruent regulations and inconstancy in Mexican government. Just one guy who wanted to flex his muscles and show of power at the border. Mexicans love to say that Americans are suit happy, but the lack of consequences for bad behavior in Mexico makes this kind of thing rampant.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Friends, and neighbors, came down yesterday crossing through the El Chaparral gate, with seven bicycles in the back of the truck. As they have been doing since the wheel was invented, they give these old, but still rolling, bikes to one of the local orphanages. It's just something they like to do.
Not this time, said the border inspector. "Two people....Two bikes"......and they were turned around, sent back to readjust their load and dispose of the contraband.

Now...I know this won't be the case on weekends with the Rosarito/Ensenada bike rides that flood the cities with tourist dollars, but why, if not from a basis of pure meanness , would a rule such as this be imposed at other times?
It only hurts the children who have already suffered more than they should.

I just don't understand.

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by DENNIS]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
None, as books are purchased by people wishing to be educated or entertained... it is far too easy to just make jokes or curse on the Internet for free laughs. Writing books and trip reports takes work. Following others around Nomad is quite easy. :lol:

It's Sunday morning, David. Shouldn't you be saying Mass and serving Communion somewhere? :P
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:35 AM

Yes, my son... :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just one guy who wanted to flex his muscles and show of power at the border.

I don't think that was the case. According to my friends, the young man was sincerly apologetic about the decision to send them back.
I believe it's just part of the "New" Mexico we're all going to be introduced to in the near future.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:39 AM

You should know about the Nomads part. Its where you spend all your time. Mine is spent in Baja.

Quote:
None, as books are purchased by people wishing to be educated or entertained... it is far too easy to just make jokes or curse on the Internet for free laughs. Writing books and trip reports takes work. Following others around Nomad is quite easy. :lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:39 AM

I was turned around with a load of kids clothes some years back...couldnt prove they werent for resale..I found a Mexican family headed south, in Tecate, and gave them to them...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I was turned around with a load of kids clothes some years back...couldnt prove they werent for resale..I found a Mexican family headed south, in Tecate, and gave them to them...

Yeah...they still frown on that. The worst thing you can say at the gate is that the clothes are for the poor. They hate it when we do something they should be doing, but won't.
They like to say in this case, "We don't have any poor." It's like an invitation to an unwinnable arguement.
NONONO...don't wanna go there.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:46 AM
Rules be rules for everyone

According to the rules that are part of the Customs Declaration for passengers entering Mexico, which they will give you in English at the border, here is what you can bring AND I DON'T SEE BICYCLES ANYWHERE ON THE LIST):

BAGGAGE AND DUTY FREE ALLOWANCE
Pasengers may transport, exempt duty, new or used merchandises that make up their personal baggage as well as duty-free allowance merchandises:

1) Goods considered as personal bagage:
Goods for personal use such as clothes - including one bride trousseau, footwear and personal toiletries and beauty products, `as long as they are appropriate for the duration of the trip; as well as baby travel, hygiene and fun accessories, such as car seat, portacrib, baby carriage, baby walker, etc., including their accessories; two cameras or video cameras, including 12 rolls of film or video cassettes; photographic material; two cellular phones or beepers or pagers; one portable typewriter; one personal organizer; one laptop, notebook, omnibook or similar;one portable photocopier or printer;one portable recorder and one projector, including accessories; two personal sports equipments, four fishing rods, three surfboards or wind surfing boards and their accesssoris, trophs or recognitions that can normally be transported by the passenger; one running machine and one exercise bike; one portable sound recorder or player;; one digital sound player or portable CD player and one DVD player, as well as a set of portable speakers and their accessories; five laser discs, 10 DVDs, 30 CDs or magnetic tapes, for sound playing,, three storage software and 5 storage cdevices for any electronic equipment; books, magazines and printed documents; five toys, including collection toys, and one video game console, as well as five video games; one blood pressure self-monitoring device and one blood glucose self-monitoring device, or a mixed device, and their reagents, as well as personal medicine (in the event of psycotropic substances, passenger must show prescription); one binoculars and one telescope; two musical instruments and their accessories; one tent and other camping articles; one set of hand tools and the suitcase, which may include one drill, tweezers, wrenches, dies, screwdrivers, cables, etc.

Passengers over 18 years may transport up to 20 ciggarette packets, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco, as well as up to 3 liters of alcholic dinks and six liters of wine.

Old persons and disabled persons may transport devices that compensate or reduce their limitations, such as walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, walking sticks, etc.

Pasengers may transport up to two dogs or cats, as well as the accessories necessary for pet transportation and cleaning, showing the pertinent animal importing permit issued by Sagarpa.

2) Duty-free allowance:
Merchandise additional to the baggage, which monetary value may be provided by invoice or sale receipt and such value dosent exceed 300 USD, or the equivalent MXN currency when passenger entries to Mexico by maritime or airport; or 75 USD when passenger entries by land. Alcholic drinks, tobbaccos, and gasoline may not be part of the duty-free allowance.

DURING HOLIDAY PERIOD, HOLY WEEK, SUMMER, NEW YEAR, MEXICAN PASSENGERS ENTERING MEXICO BY LAND MAY IMPORT, UNDER THEIR DUTY-FREE ALLOWANCE, MERCHANDISE WITH A VALUE UP TO 300 USD OR EQUIVALENT IN MXN CURRENCY,EXCEPT FOR PERSONS THAT RESIDE IN THE BORDER. PLEASE LOOK UP FOR THE BEGINING AND END OF THESE HOLYDAY PERIODS AT CUSTOMS DESK OR WWW.ADUANAS.GOB.MX

TAX PAYMENTS

>Passengers may import mercahndise other than their personal baggage without hiring a customs broker, paying the general tax of 16%, provided that the value of the merchandise, excluding the duty-free allowance, doesn't exceed 3000 USD or the equivalent in MXN currency, and provided that the passenger has the invoice, sale receipt, or any other document expressing the commercial value of the merchandise.
>Taxes may be paid by Internet at www.banjjercito.com.mx or www.adunnas.gob.mx completeing the form"Payment of Foreign Trade Duties" or through automatic centers.
> Value of computer equipment, together with the rest of the merchandise, must not exceed 4,000 USD or equivalent in other currencies.
> Merchandise subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions (permits, certificates,notices) may not be imported.
>In order to calculate the tax base, duty-free allowances mentioned in part 2 may be subtracted from merchandise value.

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
According to the rules that are part of the Customs Declaration for passengers entering Mexico, which they will give you in English at the border, here is what you can bring AND I DON'T SEE BICYCLES ANYWHERE ON THE LIST):

This is only one of the lists. The other list, the invisible version, is what they've been using forever...and will continue to use. :light:
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:50 AM

At the risk of being told to give some one an f'ing anything...I'll chime in here with experiance.

Having worked at several orphanages over the years, sometimes an acquisition of old garage doors were obtained from the navy housing renovations done here in San Diego. Loaded on a flat bed with the intention of replacing cardboard shacks with 4 walls and a top, there were times we made it and times we didn't followed by delays of a short span and then successful transit over the border.

Never on a list, forbidin or allowed, just depends on who had a f'ing attitude and who didn't...much like on this board.

Thanks for lending something constructive DK.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:54 AM

Rules are rules, then, what can I say? You posted a while back about not bringing an extra tire into Mexico. If they really cared about the kids, they would raise the minimum wage so parents could afford a bicycle. 5 dollars a day wages at the Ensenada McDonald's is not going to cut it.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just one guy who wanted to flex his muscles and show of power at the border.

I don't think that was the case. According to my friends, the young man was sincerly apologetic about the decision to send them back.
I believe it's just part of the "New" Mexico we're all going to be introduced to in the near future.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 11:54 AM

Bummer that they are doing that. I am always finding 'extra' clothes i no longer use and the last few times we have gone down I put them in soft sided travel duffles and after we find a new home for them take the empty duffles and stuff them in storage on camper. Shame we have to resort to this but...............I am thinking that Otay or Tecate may be the crossing of choice if one wants to bring down extra stuff? They are stepping up the game at Chapparal?

:fire:

Viva Mexico!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi

Thanks for lending something constructive DK.

Constructive means providing authoritative (actual experience.not opinion) dialogue to the thread. I don't believe David takes frequent trips to Baja to donate goods.

As a frequent traveler to and around Baja (majority of the year resident) I find many responses amazing and not my experience in traveling Baja. It seems like the occasional stop for prohibited items lends itself to "piling on". I personally do not get stopped often and when I go to the declare line am many times told to just proceed. No problem. Maybe I am just lucky.

What I don't need to do is provide my experience or opinion on every thread out there.

Ralph
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2013 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yet, you feel the need to follow all my posts here on Nomad and make snide remarks as if I am doing something wrong. This is a Baja discussion forum where people come to find out about Baja travel and places. For the life of me, I can't remember you ever sharing a trip report, photos, history, with anything that may interest viewers... save the occasional mention of a local off road race (which I do enjoy reading).

I am motivated by the people who tell me how much my posts and web site helped them have a good vacation or an interesting side trip... they do it here, on u2u's, and in person. If I was doing something wrong, I don't think I would be hearing so much positive feedback.

I don't try to upset you Ralph, but if reading my posts bothers you to such a degree, I think the nicest thing I can do is advise you to not read my contributions or comments. Try and have a nice day, somehow. ;):yes:

It would be hard to not see your posts since they appear in almost every thread. I would have to stop reading Nomads.

I don't have the same motivations as you do and thus do not need to post all my pictures on this forum.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.