Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Steve Jobs boat
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 12:14 PM
Steve Jobs boat

Here is a link to photos of Steve's boat. We saw it drive by from our house on the east cape the other day. That was cool! It was headed towards Cabo.

http://thechive.com/2012/10/30/steve-jobs-mega-yacht-a-float...

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 12:27 PM

Insane. Sometimes he was just too practical. That thing may really work well, but it doesn't look very good........a floating building.
He's lucky he died before he had to paint the topsides.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 12:47 PM

The boat was docked at Marina Costa Baja in La paz for about the last 3 weeks. I got several good looks at it and as a $140,000,000 boat it is really ugly. My wife took a couple of photos while we were at the marina office and a guard asked her to stop-nicely- I guess they just didn't want too much more to confirm how really ugly it is.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 12:49 PM

I love the author's description of this thing as being descriptive of Job's "minimalist mentality". Like describing Qatar as offering "minimalist survival"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 01:13 PM

It cut a nice wake going by and I thought it looked rather of elegant from two miles away.

But minimalist, ah I don't think so....

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 01:32 PM
That is One Fugly Monstrosity

Hubby and I love to sail.

He has had many boats, some of which he built/reconstructed himself.

The best thing about being on a boat in the water is feeling the connection to the wind and the waves and getting a feeling for the enormous forces that control our environment.

I won't get into the rag versus stink potters thing here; there are many beautiful, sleek and efficient power boats.

But. my question is: Why do obscenely rich people (the Oracle guy, the other guy that was Steve Jobs partner, and others} feel the need to build these behemoths?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
But. my question is: Why do obscenely rich people (the Oracle guy, the other guy that was Steve Jobs partner, and others} feel the need to build these behemoths?

Maybe because they can and have the funds:?::biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
Here is a link to photos of Steve's boat. We saw it drive by from our house on the east cape the other day. That was cool! It was headed towards Cabo.

http://thechive.com/2012/10/30/steve-jobs-mega-yacht-a-float...

I think calling it a boat is, umm, a mistake. This bad boy is a Ship!!!:o:O
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 02:47 PM

Quote:

It's an ego thing. Much less painful than penis enhancement. :o
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 03:38 PM
Yeah, Oh Well

I guess I already knew that this was the obvious explanation.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 03:42 PM
USB port on Jobs' boat...or is it a ship?

Is this a USB port?;)

Or do only PCs have those...? (I have an Ipad mini...)

And given its size isn't it really a "ship"?

I've had sailboats (28' and 34') and those were "boats." This... I'm thinkin' ship. (cuz it can carry another boat, not just a dingy/tender)

Inquiring minds want to know...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 03:43 PM

I watched a television special that featured "The Fastest Mega Yacht In The World". It would do something like 60 - 70 knots. Twin titanic gas turbines. Fuel consumption of 130 gallons per MINUTE.

Too many of these folks have a mentality bordering on psychotic. They will close a factory or engage in buying offshore or hiding billions in offshore accounts so they can indulge themselves in meaningless hideously expensive nonsense. It would be funny if it did not hurt so many innocent people.

How an extremely wealthy person utilizes their wealth tells me a lot about their intelligence or lack thereof. A human can occupy about a yard square. That their ego demands tens of thousands of square feet says volumes. It says to me the individual would be otherwise thought of as being less than their due by peers.

The problem is "The Fever" is now running rampant. TeaBaggers want to monopolize all the money, liberals want to spend everyone else's money and "normal" people with any common sense at all are bent on fleeing the madness.

SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:

The smell of jealousy is quite putrid in the above post/question.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
It would be funny if it did not hurt so many innocent people.

On the other hand, the construction and ongoing maintenance of this tub has put a lot of people to work. At least the wealth is going back into the economy and Jobs is a fresh example of the old axiom, "You can't take it with you."
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 04:24 PM

Comrads here are correct. We should kill all of these rich people, take their money for us who deserve it. It has worked really well in Cuba and So.Africa.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 04:45 PM

Italian marble, French fixtures, Thailand teak, and I'll bet the rest of the vessel resembles the inventory origin akin to a Wal-Mart. Does any of the maintenance crew speak English?

I'll not forget the couple arrested in Aspen who had "undocumented aliens" installing fifty thousand dollars worth of bathroom fixtures (Platinum in his - Gold in hers). They were paying the help less than minimum wage.

"You Can't Take It With You?"
Ever see a half-million dollar mausoleum constructed of Italian marble with gold adornments, and a Chinese rosewood casket worth more than your entire neighborhood? Ever see a pet cemetery for mascots of the "Obviously Comfortable"? Where a plot costs more than your house, and the animal is buried wearing precious stones and more gold than Mr. T?

This is the world of the Leona Helmsleys. Where only little people pay tax, and local supermarkets price things three to four hundred percent higher than retail in order to keep "Ordinary People Out".

I do not begrudge wealth. I begrudge the air of aristocracy begot by wealth that proclaims people of lesser position are not worthy of consideration. Especially more than a bare minimum of money.

What this is leading to is an inevitable creation of a financial and economic Serengeti, where lions are going to have to learn the hard way that packs of jackals are actually the true pinnacle of the food chain.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 04:54 PM

It's curious that a guy who lived an otherwise unassuming lifestyle would have built a vessel like that.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 05:04 PM

I'd take it. Think of the chicks you could get with a boat like that. JK.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 05:11 PM

I think you guys are missing the "boat", this was just El Jefe's way of introducing us to the CHIVE. my new favorite site! gracias El Jefe!!!:bounce:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 05:34 PM

Heh. I hadn't a clue about CHIVE and just googled the boat (ship, whatever!) and it popped up.

And damn, that is a pretty wild site. Will have to look further into that craziness..... but first, it's c-cktail hour.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.