Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: what to tow-behind my rv
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 06:10 PM
what to tow-behind my rv

I will be soon taking my first rv across the border and I want to tow a small vehicle(used) behind my rv for those explorations to small pueblos and points of interest.. I don't think I need 4x4 but it is an option... I want to be able to lock up the towd vehicle when we are out hiking or exploring a pueblo... needs to carry two people, be dry, probably a/c... auto trans if possible... something like a sidekick, tracker, etc.....maybe? those of you who have experience please help... I need to make sure I get the thing connected correctly with lights too.... your suggestions/referrals are appreciated...
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 08:22 PM

I vote for a honda element!
but not just any honda element.:O

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 08:29 PM

I tow a 4 wheel drive Suzuki Grand Vitara. Simple- put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park, remove the parking brake and you're on your way.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 08:46 PM

You can't go too far wrong with a Jeep Wrangler. There seem to be quite a few used on the market and stick or automatic are readily towable. Wiring in tail lights and turn signals from the plug on your RV is pretty straight forward and most auto repair shops can do it in an hour or so. There are many different tow bars available and most will use the 2inch receiver on your RV, so you can connect or disconnect very quickly. The requirement to have a braking system on a towed vehicle varies from state to state, so keep this in mind. I have towed a Jeep 2 door Wrangler for 5 years without a braking system and had plenty of braking with the RV, but recently went with the Jeep Wrangler 4 door unlimited which weighs around 4000 lbs, so went with a remote brake system. The Jeep will handle just about all of the off road or Baja roads you would want to go on, and have 4 seats. Many cars require special handling for towing, such as a driveshaft disconnect system, so be careful what you select. Motorhome magazine publishes a list of vehicles and their specifics regarding towing them. Google Roadmaster for tow bar and their towing products. They are one of the leaders in the business. U2 me with any questions. You don't mention the type of RV you have, so there may be some considerations there.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-23-2013 at 10:45 PM
Tow Vehicle

I have a 26ft class C with a Fuel Injected Ford 460 and it Tows my Wrangler like it isnt back there, I dont use a ax. brake but I dont go to the states much, The M H brakes handel it ok.
Previously I towed a 95 Nissan 4x4 and a Suzuki Samairu I personaly wont tow anything but a 4x4 with manual trans. I have a Roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar its really nice it's easy to hook up and unhook wheather you are on level ground or not.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:16 AM

Hola oldjack,

Have you tried your question on any of the Internet RV forums? I also do a lot of RV traveling and have found this one very useful for everything RV.

http://www.rv.net/forum/

You couild place and/or research your question in the Technical Resources part of the forum with attention to Towing, Tow Vehicles, and Dingy Towing. You will find tons of experienced advice, vehicle descriptions, and photos there. Enjoy it, and Good luck

Note: My preference is to take along a fishing boat. I've towed this package from Mulege to northern Canada a few times. It's an adventure every time. :rolleyes: Happy Trails!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:23 AM

Holy Cow Pompano, you have to pick your turn-offs carefully with that setup. I sure wouldn't want to try and get through the Tecate crossing with it.:lol:
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Holy Cow Pompano, you have to pick your turn-offs carefully with that setup. I sure wouldn't want to try and get through the Tecate crossing with it.:lol:

Some of the states it's ok to tow a double like Pompanoes but you must have a C.D.L. with the endorsements to do so.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:37 AM

Another vote for a Wrangler. I have an 05 Unlimited, so it is the longer wheel base w/o the four doors, I love how it eats up bumpy dirt roads with it's all-coil suspension. I had a leaf spring Wrangler once and the thing was a pogo stick off road. I think the all coil springs started in 98.

Sure is great to remove the hard top in camp and go without in the sun. Doors on or off. Windshield up or down. The Wrangler is truly a versatile vehicle.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:42 AM

I tow a Saturn Vue behind my 30 footer. Automatic, easy on the gas milage, easy to hook up and American made. It is a 4 cylinder but makes it up the grades OK on it's own. It's OK down dirt roads but not as good as I would imagine a Jeep would be. You can pick them up pretty cheap in the States. They are to tow even though it is an automatic, thats why I bought it.

One little, itsy bitsy problem, they don't make them anymore but GM has taken over the parts etc. If needed, I would imagine Jeep parts in Baja would be a little less hassle to get.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

You are right on the money, monoloco. Definitely not for threading any needles, but I grew up working with haywagons and gained tons of experience with hitting barn doors, fence gates, and occasionally my mother's station wagon. And I actually did drive that rig thru Tecate both south and north a few times, before they changed the US side entry which now makes it .... difficult! The commercial entry is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Some of the states it's ok to tow a double like Pompanoes but you must have a C.D.L. with the endorsements to do so.

True enough, J.P.,

I gotten used to that drill and know by heart all the states and provinces where that length and number is okay. I follow the rules. My CDL is very handy for all kinds of driving, including harvest, transport, & RV's. I've renewed mine many times over the years.

Sorry to get a little off-track. Now back to finding that perfect tow vehicle for oldjack.

My personal vote would be for a Jeep Wrangler or Renegade, both of which I've towed with a 34' motorhome with Ford 460 engine w/overdrive. Easy connect and disconnect, no sweat with the trannies. Fun rides into the hinterland.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 10:51 AM

WRANGLER GETS MY VOTE.

Its not only a easy tow but a Fun Vehicle to drive.
When shopping for a used wrangler the two most important things to me was 91 or newer because they are fuel injected and the 4.0 6 cylinder is the only way to go. Some think fuel economy is not as good as the 2.5 but the 4.0 more than makes up for it in reliability.
and the best part is you dont have to wear a Sack over your head like you would if you were driving a TOYOTA.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 01:39 PM

Tow a auto Honda CRV with a 25' Class C, V10. Think about Jeeps now and then.

Any recommendations on best years to buy Jeep? Be nice to get into remote fishing spots with 4x4.
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Any recommendations on best years to buy Jeep? Be nice to get into remote fishing spots with 4x4.

My wrangler is a 91. when I was shopping I looked for a low milage Bone Stock with a hardtop. Fuel injection was standard from 91 on up. A friend runs a smog shop in Ca. and swears the older carburated modles are nothing but trouble to Smog. I was looking for something under 10 thousand when I stumbled on the one I have and it Was a High Desert car whith no rust and no modifications. and I gave 4 thou. for it since I have owned it I had it repainted the original color and put in new Seats and Carpet I am looking for a Air Conditioner and that plus the other things I have done I will have about 10 thou. in it. I think it really looks good.

We have a Suburban and rarely ever drive it anymore ny wife likes the jeep and thats a plus.

[Edited on 3-24-2013 by J.P.]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I think everyone will agree 91-95.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 03:31 PM

Not me. Leafs and washboard are no bueno on old backs.

The leaf models are more capable........but I dont rock crawl and I dont modify much.

I vote 04-06 L J Unlimited Wrangler. 15 more inches of wheelbase means a smoother ride and a ton more room in the back. 4.0 six.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Not me. Leafs and washboard are no bueno on old backs.

The leaf models are more capable........but I dont rock crawl and I dont modify much.

I vote 04-06 L J Unlimited Wrangler. 15 more inches of wheelbase means a smoother ride and a ton more room in the back. 4.0 six.
good point!:yes:
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 04:08 PM

the rv will tow probably anything I put behind it... but I quit drinking last year so I wouldn't even try Pompano's rig(a couple of beers always settled my nerves).. I will spend some time checking out the Wrangler options(91 or newer as per advice)... I was thinking smaller is better.... but maybe a little bit bigger will work too...

thanks for the responses

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.