Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Couch Potatoes and Boozers
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 09:47 AM
Baja Couch Potatoes and Boozers

There have been a few post on the board about some U.S. expat retirees living in Baja and Mexico who “Just vegetate, sit on the couch all day and drink themselves to death”. I let those slide right by but noticed that there was little or no pushback. Well, now I’m one of those old fogies so it’s time to set the record straight.

The posters perspectives were skewed and could not clearly see that watching television and drinking cold beverages which include alcohol are recognized hobbies. For hobbyists like me there is nothing amateurish about my leisure pursuits and I’ll try to explain to these wrong-headed trouble makers what it’s all about.

Television

First all expats must jump through all the hoops of tailoring Television systems to their needs based on legal and illegal availability. This often involves dealing with an uncle you hate in Barstow and buying discs and systems “under the table” with local prices which are sometimes off the chart.

Then, after months or years of tweaking, tinkering with options one might have to go all the way and (for the sake of signal capture) change your name, address and birthdate.

Once the system is in place we can, at our leisure, begin to study the choices of channels scattered liberally through and around the few we really want to watch. I consider that part of the hobby like an electronic buffet – you don’t have to crave the thing that’s offered but sometimes there’s no harm in trying a little of it, just a taste.

At times the hobbies of television and beverage taking can enhance and augment one another; if you’ve chosen a movie with a million commercials, make your drinks in c-cktail glasses so you can refill often, mute the thing and walk to the kitchen for the good cold stuff and, of course, the exercise.

One must become very friendly with the RECALL button on the remote – it takes practice but you can learn to skip NBA game time-outs, all boxing and tennis intros in perfect timing to get only pure programming on your original choice and still stay on top of the ones that are not important enough to save.

For us seniors we can watch endless numbers of old series. The older the better because it would be impossible to remember the whole episode of a Starski and Hutch or Law and Order you last saw 23 years ago.

Never bored, I can watch new cartoons, vampire movies, billions of teen movies, curling, Blind Chef’s Challenge, Flipping The Whole West Coast, Siamese Twins Survival Camp, Extreme, XTREME Helo Boarding The Himalayas. Even when all the choices available on a very slow scheduling day challenge my need for electronic diversion I can double up on the alcohol or double the numbers of drinks to change my mood and my predilections.

Alcoholic Beverages

Serious hobbyists know exactly how much alcohol their bodies can safely consume every 24 hours. Perhaps the foul poster said something like “Drinking themselves to death. Or “Just waiting to die”. We are all waiting to die. Death by J B on the rocks is much preferred over stroke, stress or sepsis.

We all know about Food-Wine Pairing so it will be quite easy for you to follow some hobbyists’ penchant for choosing the right beverage for the right television offering. Most are obvious but not all; beer for fishing shows, MLB, wrestling, wine for Masterpiece Theater, cooking shows, dressage, chess matches, Wimbledon.

For me, timing is important. Bloody Marys are strictly for mornings, martinis only for pre-prandial use, no heavy ale or beer late night. Most mixed drinks do not deserve expensive gin, vodka, Tequila, etc. and savings in that area allow for more money for sipping fine liquors neat or on the rocks.

Verbal thrusts deserve well played parries and I hope with this little disclaimer I have put the unanswered slurs to bed.

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by Osprey]
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 10:08 AM

:yes::biggrin:

On the other hand, you could put down that remote and write more short stories and essays. Note I don't suggest putting down the c-cktail.

Or...if you're a mind, learn to tie flies and take up a new pastime.

Allen R
(gotta get back to taxes and quit wasting time here :yes: )

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by bufeo]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 10:08 AM

another good on thanks

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 10:33 AM

Two letters: R&C.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:00 AM

...."sipping fine liquors neat or on the rocks" begins with your finest bottle then progressively shot by shot, down the quality ladder.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:07 AM

Ken, funny how that works > just one way, not the other. Just like "The girls all look prettier at closing time".
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:26 AM

Osprey, You often get me thinking a bit beyond
the everyday. We all have observed the Gringo
in Baja drinking liberally. There is a book about a
guy who kayaks from El Gulfo to the East Cape,
good adventure, by
Ed Darack 'Wind,Sun,Water', he has a term for
some of the residents around San Felipe, the type
with the gal of Oso Vodka, 'alcoholic
desert rats', but that is also a bit of the allure of Baja,
in that one can follow one's path with little
scrutiny, not for myself, but I would never be critical
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:36 AM

I think I might just mosey on over to the cocina and fix me up a damiana & tequila on the rocks....for lunch.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:46 AM

I didn't even know Canadians could mosey.
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:55 AM

Jorge, I just read your inspiring post, mosey'd over to my beer cooler
grabbed myself a iced Pacifico, mosey'd back to my desk, and am now
enjoying my cold lunch. No tv yet, I will save that till c-cktail hour!
I really enjoy a good mosey.

:lol:

latrinidadrvranchrestaurant.com

Everybody knows Murphy\'s Law.
Martinez Law; Murphy was a damn optimist!
Quote by: Jimmy Smith
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 11:58 AM

Carefull, that's very close to throwing the "Canadian card".

:biggrin:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:11 PM

Or write a book...

"Fifty Ways To Leave Your Liver"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:15 PM

I'll tell you all what Shari can do. She can construct a living legend scenario of what a passionate and giving person can do if they land in a place full of people and animals in harmony with nature. She can do that because she sees that the place is still unharmed by abuse of governance or graft, innocent and alive with the vibrant rhythms of those whose only agenda is full bellies and good will.

Wish I was young enough to tell her stellar story.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:18 PM

David E, The liver is an evil organ and should be punished.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:27 PM

One more on the liver: many cultures, 1000s of years ago, sought to use drugs but many intoxicants, hallucinogens, being raw and unrefined, undiluted, were too rough for the stomach, the liver, the process of ingestion. The natives took many of those potions anally to "Cheat the Liver" -- they wanted the kick before the sick.

Few of us today use that method. Perhaps a sense of cultural pride?
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
One more on the liver: many cultures, 1000s of years ago, sought to use drugs but many intoxicants, hallucinogens, being raw and unrefined, undiluted, were too rough for the stomach, the liver, the process of ingestion. The natives took many of those potions anally to "Cheat the Liver" -- they wanted the kick before the sick.

Few of us today use that method. Perhaps a sense of cultural pride?

Method still used by long-time "speed freaks" who are unable to ingest orally.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 01:12 PM

Gawd, the things one can learn from Nomads.

Allen R
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 01:17 PM

LIVER! YEAH!

Encebollado

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by DavidE]

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 03:24 PM

Thank you, Osprey. Those of us not yet in Baja take inspiration from your efforts and those like you. Keppt it going until we get there!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 03:38 PM

jorge....just finished mary roach's book "gulp" today...really something!....she talks indepth about the practice of imbibing through ones butt....stuff i've never imagined, actually, and i've imagined a lot.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.