BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home Protection This Was E-Mailed To Me
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 09:32 AM
Home Protection This Was E-Mailed To Me

TI know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about... If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat. Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high-risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead. The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use. On the heels of a break-in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self-defense experts have a tip that could save your life. Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed. Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them." Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police or maybe get out." It may even save your life. Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh?ext

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:04 AM

I keep both wasp/hornet spray and pepper spray in my truck. There is a razor sharp steel shafted Eswing camping hatchet in my door pocket.

The Feds, picked it out this trip, and I explained to their satisfaction that it was the Gringo equivalent of a machete. I also told them that it was there to cut a seatbelt or break a window in an accident! Pasa le, Pasa le!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:04 AM

For these reasons, I keep wasp spray everywhere... including my car!

Linda
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:11 AM

And it works great on wasps! Bonus!!!!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:39 AM

Having something in the EVENT, is in hindsight a good
thing, but I would not like to be grilled by some
Mex Authority after the fact, if I could not prove
it was necessary. I remember an account of a Mex
citizen trying to stop a robbery in TJ, the good
samaritian was then charged with some sort
of assult against the perp, being Gringo in Mex
I don't believe gives one the benifit of the doubt
Saw a bear spray at an outdoor store, about the
size of a small fire extinguisher, I assume that
would have some range. I've been going to
Mex as far back as when the peso was 3200x1,
never met anyone who was phsyically assulted,
been reading these Mex boards since 1997,
I can remember 2-3 incidents, the 200 in pesos
in my pocket is what they would be after, it has
not been proven to me that shooting, dismembering
with machete, axe, speargun, baseball bat is
what I have to worry about
Edited on 4-9-2013 by sancho]

[Edited on 4-9-2013 by sancho]
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:55 AM

Have kept this near for a long time. When you see what happens to a wasp 10 paces away, you know it won't be good for anything to be in the path of that spray.

Sorry Sancho, probably not going to wait around for the cops to wonder why someone in my vicinity is rolling around on the ground screaming while trying to gouge their wasp sprayed eyes out of their head. So no need to answer to the cops ... and then (I'll go slow) ...think this through...if the perp is BLINDED, how is he going to ID you?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:59 AM

Inside a car or a house would be a different story. Playing Clint Eastwood out on the street is a horse of another color.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 11:05 AM

A little more info from Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

I remember seeing this email years ago, but looks true enough.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 11:30 AM

I have a can for killing wasps and it sprays only about 12 feet, not 20 to 30...

I hear the whales song
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 03:35 PM

I'll never forget a gun magazine article years ago about using a .25 caliber pistol against an assailant. The conclusion was the same as for wasp spray. "While there may be other tools to do a better job, this one will put you at a distinct advantage in the fist fight that follows.":lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 03:53 PM

An elderly friend had some pesky wasps hanging out in the rafters of her patio cover. She obtained a can of wasp spray but was afraid to use it fearing the need to run if she missed the wasp.
I took the can and (I'm alergic to bee stings so the distance) stood about 20 feet away and gave it a test shot. Perfect forceful stream came our and hit the wasp...it was one guick shot as I didn't know if it would shoot at all or spray a broader area. Turned out it was more like a bullet than a shotgun.
The wasp didn't move or flinch, just dropped straight to the ground. I eased over with the spray c-cked just in case and there it laid, it's body in the same position as it was when hanging on the rafter. It was dead before it hit the ground!
Took some target practice on the rest of em and all had the same effect...instantaneous rigor mortis.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 04:23 PM

I use it on my tacos and it's delicioso.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 05:00 PM

These work great. They are small and compact. Can also be used from inside your house or car to the outside through the window. Plenty of range.

http://www.gadgettown.com/Green-Laser-Pen-5Mw-532Nm.html

This could temporarily blind and/or disorient someone, so please be careful!!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.